[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In my opinion the problem with [movie] piracy can be broken into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: pirate.jpg (46 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
pirate.jpg
46 KB, 1024x768
In my opinion the problem with [movie] piracy can be broken into two things

1) the quality of movies has gone downhill to the point where people dont feel like the price is worth it. Egamples are most sequals. Good movies still remain successful because people are willing to pay for them

2) Availability of content on a global scale. The fact that X country needs to wait for longer for shows (weekly shows, movies, ect) than US, JAP, etc is an easy reason for people to pirate.

bonus) drm free, as opposed to stuff like blu ray which makes you watch 20 mins of anti pirate stuff that pirates dont have to

I think in the long run piracy doesnt hurt anyone, it in fact makes movies have to be of a higher quality

Software piracy on the other hand can never be harmful to a company. Without a doubt, Microsoft and adobe wouldnt have come to be the kings of software if it wasnt for the availability of their software to the general public for free. Games too, they become more popular due to piracy.

Music on the other hand... Its a pure case of not having $30 for a CD. I buy individual and non "big corporate" stuff because it supports the artists, unlike say universal music which is built on image, not music (as an example).

What do you think?
>>
>>53783594
Even a person that believes that "intellectual property" is a god-given right bestowed upon man must see that the situation today has more to do with corporations and corrupt governments being asshats.
>>
File: cosplay- Misty underwater.jpg (94 KB, 500x431) Image search: [Google]
cosplay- Misty underwater.jpg
94 KB, 500x431
Go to a CD store some time. Cds havn't been $30 since the 00's (unless you're dumb and shop in the mall or at Wallmart). That said, most artists get their money from touring and not CDs so I can't blame people for pirating if that artist has no other ways to buy their music directly from them. If you can buy it directly like on Band Camp you should.

As to movies/TV: I feel piracy is only OK if you can't get it legally. Even just watching it on some Netflix/Amazon type site shows interest in the series and does kick some money back to the creators so go legal if you can. It's seriously less than $10 for most streaming services.

I really hate how the Pokemon movies never get released outside of Japan for the most part and are shown maybe once on a cable station and that's it. Period. I have had to pirate every one of them outside of the early films because there was no choice. Also yes, they are sequels, but some of them are actually quite good and had a ton of effort put into them.

Also don't get me started on Japan-only games and the cease and desists thrown at fan translations....
>>
> television is boring
> i'm not going to pay for it

content providers btfo
>>
I disagree with point number 1. I am skeptical to the notion that movies are in general becoming worse, and even if they are, there are often time no correlation between the quality and the revenue.

Just look at Superman vs Batman, a shitty movie with a 29% rating at rottentomatoes, yet it's got the 7th highest opening weekend gross of all time. And there are plenty of great movies that flopped financially.

Also, you mention DRM as "stuff like blu ray which makes you watch 20 mins of anti pirate stuff that pirates dont have to". What do you think of for example netflix? Very much DRM but no annoying stuff like that, just click and watch. I think most people don't care about DRM.

I also object to this:
>Software piracy on the other hand can never be harmful to a company.
Sure, it's true that Microsoft may not mind people pirating the OS if it means they strengthen their almost monopoly, but this is not a good example because microsoft is a billion dollar company that can easily survive without a few potential software sales. But for 99% of software companies, it DOES matter, a lot. It is already super hard to make money off selling software precisely because a lot of people have become used to free alternatives, either legal ones or pirated ones. And you can be sure as hell there have been a lot of bankruptcies that would have been avoided if piracy wasn't a thing.
>>
File: DSC_0003.jpg (2 MB, 3920x2204) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0003.jpg
2 MB, 3920x2204
>>53783696
>I really hate how the Pokemon movies never get released outside of Japan for the most part and are shown maybe once on a cable station and that's it.
yeah thats a good example. Australia has every season and movie on dvd release so thats something im not going to pirate.

>>53783736
nor will i even pirate it or watch it once it gets to a certain quality threshold.
>>
>>53783736
I really wish that skipping commercials with DVRs had become a bigger thing among normies. We might have seen shitty, lowest-common-denominator TV pushed over the edge, just the the clickbait trash on the web is going through thanks to adblocking.
>>
>>53783594
>What do you think?
i dont give a shit as long as i get my free content

also
>pirating movies
why? putlocker exists.
>>
>>53783828
doesnt that lead to more innovation though? Because my software for writing word documents isnt selling due to libre office and micro office doesnt that mean i would have to look into other areas where i could develope software people have a need for?
>>
>>53783860
>why? putlocker exists.

That IS piracy.
>>
>>53783877
i was talking about torrenting
>>
>>53783594
>I think in the long run piracy doesnt hurt anyone
I disagree. I believe there are people out there that would pay money for content if it wasn't availble via piracy. I believe that this is a very small group and doesn't cause much harm in the long run, but it's not the same thing as no harm. Same thing goes for software.

I have no thoughts on music piracy, I don't participate in it, or even buy it legit.
>>
>>53783889
I know but it's a pointless differentiation.
>>
File: hobbit shire.jpg (130 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
hobbit shire.jpg
130 KB, 500x375
>>53783833
I do not live in Australia: I'm in the NTSC region. It's either deal with imported PAL hardware and the plugs and electrical converters to make it run or pirate out here. Region locking sucks.

Another reason to pirate: when something has been out of print for awhile and the price is insane. Nobody should have to pay $150 for a DVD or a VHS that is just a standard film with nothing extra at all.
>>
>>53783900
thing is though that fighting piracy is fighting against the laws of economics. Once the movie, song, or whatever is made and in a digital format, the marginal cost of duplicating it and sending the resulting copy to anywhere in the world is approximately zero. Copyright is trying to impose artificial scarcity where none exists, to allow rightsholders to charge money for something that has no cost. Economically, it's like trying to nail jello to a tree.

It was viable when data had to be distributed on physical objects - VHS tapes, records, whatever - because physical objects *are* economically scarce. The harm content producers are suffering is because advancing technology removed the things that made "intellectual property" work.
>>
>>53783972
yeah i know, thats my point. Not being able to buy the show is your reason for pirating it.

Also dvd players usually have an unlock region code on them
>>
>>53783736
Pretty much this.
Out of 6 nationals televisions here there is nothing to watch but Turkish soap operas 6h a day,same news over and over,live programs that are hosted by amateurs that dont even want to be on TV,and ofc not a single program of their production while making 6 million euros per years from advertising.
Its fucking pathetic.
>>
>>53784157
>not enjoying turkish soap operas
>>
>>53783594
most movies are so shit they're not even worth pirating much less paying for
>>
>>53784177
Nigger are you fucking serious?
Have you seen the production of those thing?
They cost 5$ per 100 episodes.

Example of one scene:
Mother her son and her lover eat dinner
>son:Should I call him father now
>*4 shots of 30 second each of everyone faces*
>Mother:yes son
>Lover:we going to the park tomorrow you should go to bed now.
>Son:yes father
>*everyone laughing*
>next scene
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
>>
>>53784217
broken pieces is g tho
>>
THE ENDS DOESN'T JUSTIFY THE MEANS
>>
>>53784430
yes it does
>>
Movies should count on sales in the box office and music artists should count on sales of performance tickets, not the actual music. People are forgetting what those were for. Movies were supposed to be watched in theatres and music was supposed to be live. Buying them was just a way four big companies to make more money.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.