[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that the Amiga, of all dead platforms, has clung on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: Photo 20-03-2016, 10 20 36 PM.jpg (83 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Photo 20-03-2016, 10 20 36 PM.jpg
83 KB, 640x480
Why is it that the Amiga, of all dead platforms, has clung on so much?

Granted it's a tiny cult following, but why does it exist at all?
>>
80s was the first real decade where companies could exist for more than 5 years selling PCs, there isn't much to compare it to before hand in terms of brands that stuck around.

It's PPC based and will work on most PPC hardware as the architecture isn't completely dead.

Nostalgiafagging has most to do with it, they can't change, most of the amiga forums on the internet aren't about "new ways to keep enjoying your amiga" but rather "remember how good it used to be". Most of these people are anti-emulation which is just special snowflakeism. You can say whatever you want about the 80s and 90s but they're irrelevant now and only used ironically by hipsters and not used but whined about by nostalgia shits.
>>
Because there are still people using the hardware. Have you never been to a demoparty?
>>
Amiga did what other operating systems couldn't, at the time, and even many years later. It was way ahead of it's time. Graphics. Sound. True multi-tasking.

>>53773768
This faggot probably owned at ST.
>>
>>53774049
nostalgiafag detected
>>
>

"The Amiga was so far ahead of its time that almost nobody—including Commodore's marketing department—could fully articulate what it was all about. Today, it's obvious the Amiga was the first multimedia computer, but in those days it was derided as a game machine because few people grasped the importance of advanced graphics, sound, and video. Nine years later, vendors are still struggling to make systems that work like 1985 Amigas.
—Byte Magazine, August 1994
>>
>>53774049
Both ZX and ST are superior to the Amiga in many departments, faggot. I swear to G-d, Amigababies are the worst.
>MUH RETRO GAMES
Kill yourself back to /v/.
>>
>>53774060
>>53774144
>>53773768

Same fag.
>>
>>53774049
I'm not going to start the same fight but I've seen this done to me before, when I say amiga is shit 35 years later I get
>TRASH-80 owner detected
>RCA owner detected

It's kind of creepy how far in the past you're living.

>>53774073
Let's assume this was true.
>was so far ahead of it's time
>quote is 1994
It's 2016. Get over it.

The problem with nostalgia is that you can never go back to actually use the piece of shit again to undo your decades of accumulated memory changing. Either because the hardware is dead from age or you just know this and you won't let yourself use it. Seen people talk about family abuse like a positive thing as long as it happened 30 years ago, nostalgia is cancer and fucks you up bad.
>>
>>53774177
>It's 2016. Get over it.
The question was why a cult following still exists. It was answered. The Amiga was far and away better than everything else. It's that simple. That's why there's still an actually large fan base around it today. Much more than competitors from the same era.

Being 2016 and more modern stuff being around has fuck all to do with it. That's like asking why the fuck a culture exists around shitty American muscle cars when superior Japanese cars today are so much better.
>>
>>53773621
It's built as one uniform system, with each piece of hardware adapted to each other and a tailored OS to go with just and exactly that system. And (arguably) the first non-shitty implementation of such.
The demoscene was founded on 'look I can render X with these hardware limits', limits which everyone in the scene knows.
When the other systems came, the limitations became more vague so as to not fragment the scene too much some just stuck to this platform they knew.

There's also a c64 cult though, so it's not that unique

A great documentary about the beginning and reasons is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRkZcTg1JWU

Also >>53774073 is right and >>53774177 doesnt understand nostalgia.

Everything that was once regarded 'the greatest of all time' has some cult surrounding it, honda MT, polo 2, music on vinyl etc
>>
>>53774160
You dumb faggot. You do realise that the Amiga, the first one, faggot, was INFERIOR to the Atari. It was a fucking garbage compared to it. And the Spectrum was beating the Amiga in couple departments, including the price which was just a tenth of what Commodore were charging. Dumb kid.
>>
>>53773768
>It's PPC based
Could you run AmigaOS on a Wii then?
>>
Have you ever met an Amiga fan?

They're crazier than Terry
>>
>>53774144
>ST
M-m-muh MIDI ports!
>>
>>53774341
AmigaOS was better than TOS tbqh
>>
>>53774216
>c64 cult
Can confirm. I am a Commodore fag myself.
>>
>>53774921
This and literally the greatest PSG ever made -- AY-3-8910, the Yamaha version.
>>
>>53774341
Are we talking about the ST here? Because I'd love to hear you justify that.
>>
>>53775074
Lolwut? It's a fact that Atari ST had the best hardware in the personal computer market back at its release. How can you even deny that? It was better than the Amiga, the IBM, the Apple, everything.
>>
>>53775140
>fact
No. Just no. Depends entirely on what you were planning to do with the things.

And we can all agree once the A500 hit it was all over bar the Atari-tears, right? Sure we can.
>>
>>53775409
Still inferior. The only thing that made it popular was the various 3rd party software, which people were more willing to produce for a machine backed by Commodore than the much less known Atari that also had less than ideal reputation at the time.
>>
Vic-20
C-64
C-128
Amiga

It's been downhill ever since....
>>
>>53775140
The only thing atari had was build in midi interface. Apart from that it was inferior to the Amiga.
The whole cracking scene and all the game releases were on the Amiga.
>>
>>53775723
>MUH GAMES MUH GAMES
>>>/v/
>>
>>53773768
>PPC Based.
Not in the 80's. They were Motorola based. Anything running 3.1 and prior is running 680x0, unless they have an aftermarket accelerator.

You have the Atari ST, Amiga, Commodore 64 and so forth fandoms so it's hardly unique to Amiga. People still nostalgia fag the old Apple computers as well. The same type of people you're bitching about is the same type of people who have dialup modems and run a BBS still.
>>
muh AV mediafags
>>
File: AmigaOS_4.1_Update_2.png (595 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
AmigaOS_4.1_Update_2.png
595 KB, 1024x768
>Amiga OS is still being developed
>4.1 Final Edition / December 18, 2014; 15 months ago

http://www.amigaos.net/
>>
>>53775985
>still using powerpc

I mean, I get why, but at the same time: why?

Also Amiga should switch to ARM, just so it could use the name ARMiga.
>>
>>53774341

Horse shit.
>>
>>53775140

Nope.

The ST was inferior in nearly every department. The only thing it had going for it was the midi port.

I know because I was 14 in '87, I spent time comparing the Amiga 500 and the Atari ST... I settled on the Amiga because it was better.

To claim the Amiga was in anyway comparrable to the ZX Speccy (I owned 2) is laughable.
>>
>>53775610

You're not wrong.
>>
File: amigafont.png (21 KB, 1640x168) Image search: [Google]
amigafont.png
21 KB, 1640x168
>>53775985
Damn that font is hot. That's what a system font should like. Getting the most out of every pixel.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.