[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Proprietary software has control over me (help me) I know how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: meditate.jpg (470 KB, 1075x934) Image search: [Google]
meditate.jpg
470 KB, 1075x934
Proprietary software has control over me (help me)
I know how to install Linux with a nice GUI and have played around in Linux. I just cannot get over my desire to use the very useful proprietary software. I'm a web developer and I really like my adobe suite. I really like to use Microsoft Office. I am also a gamer and gaming on a linux machine is borderline impossible unless you get a compatible linux game (limits to an extreme tiny list of games) or force wine, in which case you're spending a lot of extra processing just to load a windows environment versus just running Windows.

How do I get around it. I really don't want to stop gaming. (Too fun) but the idea of free software (not gratis) is extremely appealing as a libertarian.

I love Richard Stallman and his ideas but often it is impractical due to what I do on a computer. I am aware there are alternative programs but there really arent when it comes to gaming and the programs are a long shot away from being as powerful as the industry standards.

Gimp is not as good as Photoshop. It just isn't.
LibreOffice is not as good as Microsoft Office. It just isn't.

Help.
>>
>>53716213
>i want to have my cake and eat it too
Just keep using adobe and microsoft and gay vidya gaymes. You've stated that you are a giant pussy and a whiny little bitch. If you made the switch to libre software you would just whine and cry all the time. Plus you are a web dev so you have no real skills. If you were a real programmer you could contribute code to fix the problems you have with gimp and libreoffice etc., or even fork those programs. If you had real programming skills you would find a way to port the gaymes you like over to linux or write your own versions of those gaymes. Instead you are just a whiny little bitch that will offer nothing to the free software community. It's best if you just stick with windows botnet or mac gay/osx.
>>
>>53716330
Jesus Christ dude. I am a web developer who knows PHP and SQL coding man not freaking C++ or let alone having access to open source code of these crazy complicated games designed by hundreds of people at once, and not a single person understanding everything about the product they sell. I would have no concept to being able to re-code these programs to not be a botnet much less run on linux and neither could you.

I mean I'm posing a legitimate question here and is the main reason why I haven't switched over to GNU/Linux. You don't have to shitpost.
>>
>>53716330
Cold hearted man
>>
>>53716411
You think stallman would be any nicer about it? Here's your options:

1.Go completely libre and deal with the fact that some of the programs might not work for your workflow and entertainment. And stop whining like a female.

2.Dualboot or have multiple computers. One computer or /boot partition that is libre to make yourself feel special but that you will never use because you are too busy gayming and using software that doesn't respect your freedoms.
>>
>>53716330
>>53716495

The process to switching would be:
>Set up Linux as a dual boot or full install
>Install a free (Not gratis) GUI
>Install GIMP and a coding software that is free out there
>Install Apache Xampp stuff for coding environments with my new coding software
>Can't use Nvidia software as their program is proprietary but Radeon supports the free software movement, have to switch using my pair of GTX 770's for a comprable Radeon card and install the free software on that. Probably cost about 600 for something as good as SLI 770's or better
>Stick only to games that are supported by linux and do not have botnets embedded in them, basically are unable to play 95% of games out there and are stuck to single player games
>No steam, no google chrome, stick to either firefox or Iridium and for steam replacement go with gog.com linux compatible games
>No Illustrator
>No Flash
>No Dreamweaver
>No InDesign
>No Photoshop

The balls of my computer are completely chopped off essentially for the sake of my freedom. Well I need to make money doing what I do and cant think of a good workaround.
>>
>>53716213
Do like me: double boot. Alternate between your free life on linux and your slave life on windows.
>>
Photoshop is not a valid excuse for suffering windows.
It's just not.
>>
>>53716213
Stockholm syndrome. You have been cucked into playing shitty games for so long that you've started to like them for some reason. The best cure is to just go cold turkey.

>Gimp is not as good as Photoshop. It just isn't.
>LibreOffice is not as good as Microsoft Office. It just isn't.

Baby duck syndrome. Gimp and LibreOffice cover the majority of use cases for most people. And yeah they have different UIs, they're not worse though, just different. If you find the idea of learning a new UI frustrating then maybe computers just aren't your thing.
>>
>>53716532
...thats kind of cool.

One other thing I noticed about the 'free' distros is that they look like anus. I mean design wise they aren't even comparable to an aesthetic like windows let alone a mac. Ubuntu looks fantastic but isn't free. This shit sucks man and I really really want to switch but the more I delve into it the more impractical it becomes.
>>
>>53716591
No. Thats not it at all. I've had to do complex algorithms in excel and attempting the same thing in libre office through excel produced bad results or non-responsive results. Meaning it just doesn't have the capabilities of formulas like excel does. And if you ever do graphic design work like I do Gimp just doesn't come even close to the level of power Photoshop has. You can just do more with Photoshop and it's frustrating to see that as I want to believe in the free software movement.
>>
>>53716518
Inkscape is the illustrator alternative and no one should be using dreamweaver.
>>
>>53716656
>I really like the code view of dreamweaver. It's very powerful and has lots of customizability. The file management and color picking makes it easy to upload files and not need a hex sheet while doing your coding.
>>
>>53716642
Yeah those programs are different, not everything you're used to is going to work the same way. Honestly if you didn't expect this going into it then you're an idiot.

If you really think you can "do more" with Photoshop or Excel then you haven't learned to use Gimp and LibreOffice properly.
>>
>>53716213
The pragmatic solution is to remove as much proprietary software you can and only run proprietary software if it works on a free system.
As you go on, you remove tools one at a time.

Games: try out the libre games
https://libregamewiki.org/Main_Page
Some are really fun although good graphics is rare.
I play a lot of hedgewars and 0.A.D with my friends.
Photoshop:
I am assuming that you are not using it professionally, so teach yourself to use the tools available. Eg gimp lets you make scripts so you can do a task a lot easier.
Microsoft Office:
I use kile to write things like school reports and presentations.
I use R for data manipulation, but if you need excel, just use excel, it works fine with play on linux.

Wine doesn't use a lot of extra processing to load a windows environment.
It is not a virtualization or emulation tool.
It will translate calls and sometimes it becomes a little slower as windows and linux is different.
>>
>>53716674
I did expect. I was just hoping somewhere I could find something as efficient.
>>
Use Linux for your main OS and run a windows VM inside for proprietary software
>>
>>53716767
They are as efficient, you need to learn them properly.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.