[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question: If I quit school now, will I be fine? I'm a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
Question:

If I quit school now, will I be fine?

I'm a Computer Science major, and I have 2 more years to go.

I got a job in tech support for a web hosting company in November, and I'm doing really well. most of the people move from tech 1 to tech 2 in less than a year, and then by the end of the same year a lot of the tech 2 guys make it to developer.

I get a lot of praise where I work and think that I could stick with this company for a long time, but eventually wanna move to a bigger company.

I am struggling with school because I have a newborn and I work 5 days a week, which makes it really hard to schedule my classes.

I have been thinking about just calling it quits at school instead of racking up more student loan debt.

What should I do?
>>
Depends. How good are you doing in class? Do you enjoy what you're doing even a little bit? If no to either, drop but just know that deep down you will regret it. A college degree half the time is just a piece of paper sure. But that paper gets the big(ger) money at most jobs.

Are you actually learning from your degree? Are you in Uni or a college? I mean shit I earned my 2 year associates in Networl Administration at a community college and didnt learn a fucking thing. Got my paper and am moving ontoba 4 year Uni that also offers 100% of their curriculum online so scheduling problems are a thing of the past.

There are a lot of variables at play, especially considering your babby's future based on your current and future pay scale. Dont make a decision youll regret because of your current laziness.

Change schools if need be. Half the time a company you already work for will gove you a raise when you get a degree because they know with that degree you can up and wall out and get employed elsewhere. They kind of have you by the balls when you have no degree.
>>
I'm not really qualified to give advice here because I'm also in uni, but my father has been in IT for over 30 years now. He owned a very successful company in the 90's but ended up getting his clients poached by a larger company. Since then he's really been struggling and says he wishes he'd gotten a degree because of how much difficulty he had finding work afterwards and how replaceable he is without one.
>>
>>53600436
Honestly I'm struggling man.

I don't think I'm dumb, but I am taking a class on processors, and I understand well and do fine on the homework, and I study my ass of for the tests, but I just always get worse grades on the test than what I had thought I would get.

It just feels like I'm not gonna pass, and I have to retake the class.

I'm a poor test taker.
>>
>>53600355
>get a lot of praise where I work and think that I could stick with this company for a long time, but eventually wanna move to a bigger company.

Mistake #1: you never want to stay at a company for more than five years. Three years is optimal.

Mistake #2: BigCo prefers to hire new grads so that they're indoctrinated to their methods.

IMO, a CS major is a waste of time unless you're going to a top-tier university (Berkeley, sort of Stanford, MIT, etc.). That said, if you don't get the degree, then you'll greatly hinder your chances of being hired by other companies.

By dropping out now, you'll be hamstringing yourself down the road.
>>
>>53600498

Everyone in tech is extremely replaceable regardless of degree, no degree, or quality of degree.

Ageism is a *huge* problem in the industry.
>>
>>53600355
> I have a newborn
lol you fucked up. If your and her parents aren't chipping in with your "miracle", honestly, drop out. You're on an impossible balancing act, also welcome to the rest of your life.
Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.