[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Holy shit installing arch is so easy. Why is everyoen saying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: theWALL.png (411 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
theWALL.png
411 KB, 960x960
Holy shit installing arch is so easy. Why is everyoen saying it's hard and breaks etc, etc?
>>
Memes
>>
>>53679935
They like to think they're special snowflakes for copypasta from a wiki page.
>>
File: 1450166532592.jpg (55 KB, 641x578) Image search: [Google]
1450166532592.jpg
55 KB, 641x578
Most consumer linux installation and maintenance are the equivalent of basic car owner upkeep. Take changing the oil on a car, it's an extremely simple task that if you've done it once you'd wonder how anyone could possible have trouble with, even if on certain cars it might be just a bit of an annoying time investment. However, if someone's never attempted it once, are adamant that they're not a "car person", and bury their head in the sand the second someone pulls out a basic owner's manual, they will very easily convince themselves that it might as well be arcane wizardry reserved exclusively for gearheads.
>>
File: 1456777912154.jpg (12 KB, 304x354) Image search: [Google]
1456777912154.jpg
12 KB, 304x354
>>53680154
Painfully true.

>hey can you come fix my computer
>google the problem you're having and follow the directions in the first link
>OH MAN I'M NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTERS YOU KNOW I CAN'T DO THAT.
>>
File: lol.jpg (370 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
370 KB, 1200x800
fdisk -l
cfdisk /dev/sda
mkfs.btrfs /dev/sda1
mkswap /dev/sda2
swapon /dev/sda2
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
pacstrap /mnt base base-devel grub efibootmgr os-prober neovim xorg-server xorg-utils xterm xorg-xinit xf86-video-intel mesa-libgl lib32-mesa-libgl awesome vicious obvious bashets fish nmap openssh firefox screenfetch alsa-firmware pavucontrol btrfs btrfs-progs snapper linux linux-firmware networkmanager networkmanager-openvpn
arch-chroot /mnt
nvim /etc/locale.gen
timedatectl set-ntp true
ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Mountain /etc/localtime
systemctl enable dhcpcd.service
echo arch > /etc/hostname
locale-gen
passwd
useradd -g users -G wheel -s /usr/bin/fish fishy
passwd fishy
nvim /etc/sudoers
grub-install /dev/sda
mkinitcpio -p linux
grub-mkconfig /boot/grub/grubcfg
exit
genfstab /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
umount -R /mnt
reboot
>>
>installs arch
>breaks every update fixing it
>feel like Russian haxx0r
>briefly forgets that you live in moms basement
>>
>>53679935
Because /g/ is retarded.
>>
>>53680239
Please avoid using the term “google” as a verb, meaning to search for something on the internet. “Google” is just the name of one particular search engine among others. We suggest to use the term “search the web” or (in some contexts) just “search”. Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy; DuckDuckGo claims not to track its users, although we cannot confirm.
>>
>>53680336
>muh user tracking meme
Go away freetards, the NSA already watched you masturbate whether or not you use Google.
>>
>>53679935
it's not hard, just a bit tedious, I see no point in installing it the "hard" way when things like architect and antergos exist
>>
>>53680336
>NSA collects all internet data from the backbones
>pretends OS or search page choice makes a privacy difference
>>
>>53680336
>search the web
>like with a cloth or something?
Yeah fuck off, people know what "google" means.
>>
>>53680336

Please avoid using the term "web" to describe the global internet at large. "Web" is in fact a colloquial shortening of the phrase "world wide web", a single information space based on the Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP). While many users do in fact communicate through this particular protocol, it is in fact dangerous to assume that any global network requires this particular service to communicate. Try using a more secure protocol, such as HTTPS, a far more properly encrypted protocol that respects your freedom far more than HTTP.
>>
>>53680154
I never thought of tech illiterate people that way before. Now I know why my husband facepalms when it comes to car repair. I'm just not a car person is the same as his not a computer person.
>>
File: 1457182297381.jpg (217 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457182297381.jpg
217 KB, 1280x720
>tfw you can fix your car, your computer AND your sink
>>
>>53681038
>husband
Tits or gtfo
>>
>>53679935
Yep. Once you say to yourself I'm going to install arch and do the research it's pretty easy.

It's something which people have done many time over so documentation, tutorials and helpful people exist in abundance.

I would suggest that you use a virtual machine first to practice.

And if people still have trouble using architect linux.
>>
>>53681110
>tfw you can fix an anon from /fit/'s erectile dysfunction

i'm wicked good with my tongue
>>
>>53681110
why fix them when you can get new ones for cheaper and not deal with up-charging repair jews?
>>
>>53679935
Installing it is easy, but it will break one time you do a full system upgrade. It might not be the first time, but it'll probably be when you're doing something important. Then suddenly X won't work and you can either try and diagnose that for a few hours or reinstall.

>falling for the Arch meme in 2016
>>
>>53681172
Hence you shouldn't do full system upgrades when you're doing something important.
>>
>>53680243
>fish
my nigga
>>
>>53680468

/thread
>>
>>53681172
That happens to all microprocessing systems eventually. AMD broke cards, Nvidia broke some games, intel caused bluescreens, ATI broke textures, microsoft bricked computers, avg broke windows, xbox store broke xbox's, ps3 broke a supercomputer , ps4 broke a few games, valve broke big picture, dropbox broke it's log in system, apple bricked iphones, apple causd stably issues in ios, nintendo killed wii's homebrew, intel broke some overclocks,

In technology thing breaks.

Although arch has a very good record.
>>
>>53681202
>has to install utility to proceed with important work
>utility has 5 dependencies
>dependency requires newer version of pacman
>newer version of pacman requires newer kernel
>other dependency is already installed as 64bit, 32bit version required and conflicting
>fine
>cannot uninstall 64bit version because dependency of xorg and/or video driver
>>
>using vanilla upstream without patches, blindly
arch
>>
File: enj.gif (779 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
enj.gif
779 KB, 500x385
Keep in mind its considered hard to install debian because it doesnt come with non-free software by default and that you might have to install some things without a package manager.

You cant take what /g/ says too serious, there are a huge number of meme spouting people who just echo something they heard.
>>
>>53682427
>install some things without a package manager.
break shit
>>
>>53682427
Or you could enable contrib and non-free.

Most stuff you want is in there, like wifi firmware for example.
>>
>>53682592
may as well run ubuntu. also, non-free and contrib do not get security updates
>>
>>53680336
>>>>outside
Seriously fuck off
>>
>>53682643
My solution is to minimize the number of packages installed from there.

Having a few packages from these is way better than needing to get important packages from universe in Ubuntu.
>>
>>53682720
>Having a few packages from these is way better than needing to get important packages from universe in Ubuntu.

Yeah I can see how you're right.
>>
>>53681160
He was probably just gay
>>
>>53679935
it breaks after you install it. well after.
>>
>>53680243
>fdisk -l

you do know about lsblk
and
lsblk -f

or
lsblk -o NAME, FSTYPE, SIZE
>>
>>53682081
Are you retarded, this is a bigger problem without pacman.
>>
>>53682977
1) lsblk lists less information than fdisk
2) you can't put spaces after the commas when specifying column names for lsblk output
>>
Just ran pacman -Syu and you will see.
>>
>>53680243
Bunch of the packages you listed are in the base and base-devel groups, os-prober is one of the few that isn't and you can get it from a chroot.

>>53683090
Just did, 67 packages updated. What's your point?
>>
>>53683090
only times its ever broken for me were the systemd and /bin to /usr/bin migrations. they required special update procedures that i didnt follow.
>>
>>53680243
>not partitioning with fdisk
babby detected
>>
File: 1411744321793.jpg (4 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1411744321793.jpg
4 KB, 200x200
>>53683106
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.