[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: 41yghsowR2L._SY355_.jpg (15 KB, 309x355) Image search: [Google]
41yghsowR2L._SY355_.jpg
15 KB, 309x355
Previous: >>53669427

Welcome to /flt/, we are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are five ways to try Linux, you can:

0) Install a Linux OS, preferrably a GNU/Linux distribution, on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot a Linux OS with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about Linux and their frontends in general, GNU, Busybox, Heirloom, etc)
3) Be barebones and make your own Linux image from scratch (libs, compiling core binaries, making kernel)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with a Linux OS

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will literally work on various distros, including Debian)
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
think different
>>
I have done your mother
-RMS
>>
File: 1447485487739.jpg (38 KB, 667x720) Image search: [Google]
1447485487739.jpg
38 KB, 667x720
I was trying to boot another distro (in this case, void) with my custom initramfs+ initscript, but I failed somehow. My script is basically just mounts and fscks and cryptsetup, then chrooting into my arch.
And NO, I will not use your mkinitcpio shit because "arch already provides the tools" and "why make it harder" - fuck you. I want to understand what my system does.

So my question is - when I tried to chroot with said script into my void partition ("chroot /mnt/root /bin/bash") and then "exec /bin/init" , it said
"bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): not a tty"

So what am I doing wrong? I just want to boot into void with my initramfs the most optimal way.
>>
GNU is not a frontend, it is a OS!
>>
Some comfy aliases because I saw some in the last thread
alias ..='cd ..'
alias brc='emacs -nw ~/.bashrc'
alias erc='emacs -nw ~/.emacs'
alias grc='emacs -nw ~/.gnuplot'
alias sauce='source ~/.bashrc '
enw='emacs -nw'
>>
I have these files in my home folder that contain random garbage. Any idea where these are from?

>>
>>53677750
botnet
>>
Using awesomeWM, the only problem is Youtube videos are too big when Chrome takes up the full screen. It's the size of theater mode by default. What's funny is that if I zoom in the videos actually get smaller, the different zoom functions are correct, it's only the default 100% setting that displays wrong. Awesome is the only WM that does, which leads me to believe it's an effect of the tiling, but I don't see why that affects the size of the video. It's not a huge deal, but I don't like zooming to 110% just to get the "right" size.
>>
>>53677750
I had these too, they're core dumps.
When a process crashes hard, the kernel takes its memory and state and dumps it into those files.
They're safe to delete
>>
>>53677309
not a fully functional os, hurd is shite
>>
Hello! I bought new Lenovo Yoga 300. It is touch screen and pre installed with Windows 10.

I want to install Ubuntu Gnome (since I think it is the only Ubuntu that works well with touch screen and I personally does not like Unity),

The problem is that the laptop does not come with recovery fd. It only has a reset button and a backup button in the keyboard. How can I create a backup of the Windows 10 in case I need it to revert the Linux installation?

Is there anything that I need to take care of when installing Linux in this device? The guy told me that the laptop is using UEFI hence I need to downgrade it to legacy. I do not know what to do with UEFI.
>>
>>53678041
clonezilla is what you want
>>
>>53677927
If you believe it's due to tiling, try verifying it by testing it in float mode.

I guess the tiling could affect it if the video player becomes its own X client? Not something I'd guess to be the case but what do I know. If that's how it is, though, you could make that client exempt from tiling in your Awesome config. Use «xlsclients -l» to check the name of it, which I suppose you could also use to double-check the theory in the first place. Again, I rather doubt it's the case.
>>
>>53678055
Okay so basically I need to clone my HDD and then when later on I want to go back to Windows from Linux I just re clone it back?
>>
>>53678107
Sounds dumb, why don't you just go dual boot?

And if you install GNU/Linux over windows 10 you can always later on re-install windows 10.
>>
>>53677276
anyone? please help
also,
What's better - runit or OpenRC? I don't want the Systemd/cancer, what's the best / fastest init there is? kys systemdfags.

And, How do I replace the GNU/cancer userland on Arch like Alpine does? How would I do it on Void? Is it possible to do it (entirely)? Are there any downsides to it?
>>
Asus MG279Q (DisplayPort 1.2) + 980Ti (tried 4 different drivers)

=

Every time I close my monitor *Ubuntu can't connect back to it, I just get 'no mini DP signal' eternally.

Any ideas how to fix? I googled and all I got was some thread where it was unsolved.
>>
>>53678134
meh, imaging the disk is a good idea even if he doesn't install over windows. that way he's got a way to restore things like they were with minimal effort if anything goes wrong with windows
>>
>>53678134
Only 64 GB SSD. I am not sure if I need more space, but I never work with computer smaller than 320 GB before.

Second, I do not have any recovery disk/flash drive what so ever. The only thing that this laptop provide is a Lenovo recovery button that I scare might not working anymore when I install Linux.
>>
>>53677989
Thanks
>>
I feel like I'm the only one here using xterm with vanilla ZSH.
>>
>>53678243
>And, How do I replace the GNU/cancer userland on Arch like Alpine does? How would I do it on Void? Is it possible to do it (entirely)? Are there any downsides to it?

Heirloom
replace all shells with zsh
replace GCC with Clang and llvm
>>
>>53678971
>replace GCC with Clang and llvm
Yyy?
>>
>>53677230
What are all the non-virtual filesystems on arch?
>>
>>53677730
1/6
>>
Anyone use midnight commander? How do I enable auto refresh instead of clicking ctrl+R all the time
>>
>>53677230
Linus is a cocksucker who doesnt stand for the ideals of freedom. Giving him credit for his single contribution to the GNU operating system makes people missing the whole point of GNU/Linux. The point is computing in freedom; it's NOT a hobby, nor aiming for market share or convinience.
>>
>>53679498
>doesnt stand for the ideals of freedom
>caring
>>
>>53679498
in that case you should use and support hurd instead of trying to co opt an os that conflicts with your ideology
>>
>>53679527
Strawmen somewhere else.
>>
>>53679537
how is that strawman? you claim linux is incompatible with your ideology of what freedom is, so why are you using it instead of hurd which is in line with your views on freedom
>>
How do I partition a mdadm raid? I've used the built in disks tool in ubuntu. Gives me an option to create multiple partitions except for on the raid drive.
>>
>>53679562
Linus is a guy, Linux is a kernel. I don't run Linus, so his views don't affect my operating system. The problem is, when people call the whole thing Linux, they think, it's a hobby project, started by Linus Torvalds in the 90s, which is simply wrong and makes people forget about GNU.
>>
>>53679623
GNU isn't important.
>>
>>53678243
>systemd
>cancer

Just go back to Windows, GNUfriend.
>>
>>53678243
OpenRC is default in gentoo and you're supposed to be using gentoo anyway.
>>
>>53679693
>my freedom isn't important
>>
>>53679623
gnu isn't important bruh, linux can run without gnu, gnu however is just a toolchain and cain\t run without linux because rms and the fsf suck at coding so hurd is a steaming pile of shit
>>
>>53679498
Linux was meant for hobbying, not freedom. The GPL only allowed linux to have a purpose for freedom.
>>
>>53679726
All I care about is that the software works and isn't controlled by big organisations.
>>
>>53679498
Then why aren't you using Hurd then faglord
>>
File: 1430523383116.png (419 KB, 599x769) Image search: [Google]
1430523383116.png
419 KB, 599x769
>>53677230
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53679904
no richard it's just linux, and we all know rms is just trying to grab credit for shit he didn't do, because otherwise he would be demanding people call it gnu/hurd instead of just shortening it to hurd, but you'll never hear a peep from him about that
>>
>>53680032
People would have to call it at all to begin with.
>>
I'm coming back to Xubuntu and I remembered how awful the image viewer that came with it was, which one should I use to replace it?
>>
File: 1452824856974.png (138 KB, 474x512) Image search: [Google]
1452824856974.png
138 KB, 474x512
Today on GNU/TV:

Richard M. Stallman Speech for Curitiba Event 2003

mpv https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/richard_stallman-speech-for-curitiba-event-2003_theora_video.ogg
>>
>>53680199
geequie or however the fuck it's spelled, and also gthumb for organizing shit
>>
>>53680229
One of his best speeches. I recommend watching it. Especially to OP.
>>
>>53680199
I like Feh and Gnome Image Viewer (latter one will bring in a lot of dependencies I think)
>>
>>53680274
Surprisly it's dependencies are only 4-5 packages, but I suggest mpv anyway, since here you have support for all formats (feh is lacking of gif support).
>>
File: 1401380866543.jpg (17 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1401380866543.jpg
17 KB, 400x300
>>53680305
mpv can act as image viewer now?
>>
Can Gentoo be used as a daily driver for developing? It looks like a fun endeavour, but I don't know if stuff like maven and mysql are readily available on it, and on what versions.
>>
>>53680375
use arch, it's meant only for developer freedom even though the wiki says the opposite (user freedom, etc)
>>
>>53680374
It always did. Just add this config:

[extension.jpg]
pause

[extension.png]
pause

[extension.gif]
loop-file="inf"

[extension.webm]
loop-file="inf"
>>
>>53680421
Well that's neat, how do I make it so it opens in maximized window when opening images?
>>
>>53680414
I've used Arch for a couple of months before, though I had to wrestle a bit with wifi and screen ratios. I do miss it, maybe I'll try antergos out, out-of-the-box working arch sounds pretty cool.
>>
>>53679303
but why
>>
>>53680421
fullscreen=yes
>>
Never mind, can't zoom or anything with mpv, too barebones
>>
>>53680519
input.conf:
CTRL++ add video-zoom +0.1
CTRL+- add video-zoom -0.1
>>
Hey guys,

Im trying to automatically run pacman -Scc --noconfirm at boot to remove all the cached packages since im running from a thumbstick.

However the --noconfirm does not ask for confirmation but doesn't remove the cache either. Should i just use rm instead or is there another option?
>>
>>53680514
Besides the first those are not worthy of an alias.
>>
>>53680537
I like to zoom with mouse scroll but they're already bound by default, honestly I'll just find something else, probably only use mpv as a last resort if nothing suits my preferences
>>
>>53679609
Anyone?
>>
>>53680703
maybe check here? http://superuser.com/questions/101630/creating-a-raid1-partition-with-mdadm-on-ubuntu
>>
>>53677276
I can't find anything for that.. Some of you guys have to know what this means, right?
>>
File: 1431060665162.jpg (21 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1431060665162.jpg
21 KB, 400x400
>>53677230
>0) Install a Linux OS
>>
>>53680743
I've come across some pretty conflicting ways to do it. One of them said you had to create partitions on the drives before you create a raid with mdadm which seemed strange.

Either way, all the ones I've come across used the same command to create a filesystem and I've not seen anyone post a command that includes any details about partition size.
>>
>>53680938
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
"Linux is a Unix-like and mostly POSIX-compliant computer operating system (OS)."
>>
On Arch, let's say you haven't given much thought to your package count over the past year, what would you do to declutter it?
>>
>>53680990
>mostly
>>
>>53680990
The people who wrote the article are obviously tech illiterates: The operating system was created in the 80s and is called GNU as defined by POSIX. Linux is a kernel, which was added in the 90s. Guess who gave even POSIX it's name.
>>
>>53681028
>This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel. For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation).
>>
>>53681019
Same as any distribution. Print a list of explicitly installed packages and remove any unwanted ones.
>>
>>53681019
>caring about package count
>>
>>53680990
>wikipedia
>serious source
topkek
>>
>>53680990
Oh boy, the Talk page for that article has to be some shit.
>>
What's goin on with this anti GNU shilling lately? /g/ always knew how to call the system.
>>
>>53681116
There's no anti-GNU shilling, just people sick of retards being autistic about it. It's not important that we call it by name all the fucking time.
>>
>>53681116
Kids who enjoy trolling everything.
>he fell for the 16GB RAM meme
>hello /g/, suggest me a good laptop for gaming

>/g/ always knew how to call the system.
Welcome to neo /g/.
>>
>no GNU in the title

that's a bit disappointing.. I had been seeing it there lately and though it was a permanent change
>>
>>53681116
Everyone thinks they're a comedian."The Interjection" is fucking old and tired and was never very funny anyways. It needs to die at this point and "install gentoo" should be next on the hitlist.
>>
>>53681136
I suggest watching >>53680229 to learn about why it IS important. Next to this, calling the operating system "Linux" is simply wrong. You wouldn't call a chair "leg", either.
>>
File: 1457059812689.jpg (134 KB, 413x461) Image search: [Google]
1457059812689.jpg
134 KB, 413x461
>>53677230
Hey guys I have a question about Debian. I was going to switch to Debian Testing, so I changed my sources.list file to reflect that. Then I did:

sudo aptitude update

and then

sudo aptitude upgrade

And I ended up getting this message after about half an hour or so:

Unable to resolve dependencies for the upgrade because the resolver timed out.
You may be able to solve this problem by increasing
Aptitude::ProblemResolver::StepLimit (currently 500000).
Unable to safely resolve dependencies, try running with --full-resolver.

But I already tried appending that last bit with --full-resolver to the end of upgrade and it was not a valid command.

So how can I go about doing this?

Also is it normal that aptitude uses like 7GB of RAM while doing this? My computer is basically locked up for half an hour / an hour while it's doing this. And it's not a laptop or anything, it's my desktop.
>>
>>53681208
Just some guy trolling. I blame shitty apps guy.
>>
So, im trying out Debian 8 XFCE on a bootable USB. I wanted to use my bluetooth mouse, but i could find how. So i installed blueman, but when i run it, it says this. What the fuck do i do? Couldn't find a straight answer on google, but maybe im just dumb.
>>
>>53677230
>even removed the prism break link
Jesus.
>>
>>53681054
>implying there's more than one Linux, one being a kernel and one being an operating system.
Nope, it's just a kernel, and people erroneously call it an OS.
>>
I want my users download folder to be on a separate disk as my home directory, what is the proper way to do so?
>>
>>53681310
this
>>
The whole failure was posting in this thread.
Next time, we should just create a new one with correct pasta. This is a friendly thread and I don't think we should teach newcomers wrong things.
>>
>>53681323
Just download to somewhere else?
Or mount the other place on the directory
>>
>>53681229
>Next to this, calling the operating system "Linux" is simply wrong.
I don't care. It's what it's known as, I'm not going to be an autistic retard and call it GNU.
>>
>>53681362
>I'm with stupid and refuse to learn
>>
>>53681255
anyone, guys?
>>
>>53681388
I've learned plenty.
>>
>>53681400
>I know some shit therefore I am exempt from learning anymore
>>
>>53681323
Just tell your browser to download to the external drive
>>
tl;dr: Want Ubuntu with something more modern and prettier than xfce/lxde, but less gimmicky and moronic than Unity & Amazon.

Plain Ubuntu is beautiful in itself, but I hate that Unity and Amazon crap. I really hate things designed for touchscreen use or reinventing the wheel for no reason. The DE should be efficient and pretty.

I tried Fedora with I think GNOME earlier today, I liked it, but everything felt slightly off. The font rendering was ugly, windows were weird, mouse weird. It felt like it'd need a lot of tweaking, I don't use my desktop PC much these days I want something that 'just werks', so I think I'm definitely leaning to something buntu based. Maybe each of those things is a 10 second google though, I'm still new to this.

Does that leave me with Ubuntu MATE or GNOME, or Mint Cinnamon or something? Am I overlooking anything?
>>
>>53681471
Just try them, how should we know your tastes?
>>
>>53681255
n-nobody?
>>
>>53681471
Either learn to rice, or install elementaryOS or mint cinnamon
>>
>>53681471
mint cinnamon and kde are pretty nice
also learn to change it to your wishes, probably better than looking for something thats good for you out of the box
>>
>>53677230

>Friendly Linux Thread
>Thread about a kernel
>Not talking about the kernel
>Talking about operating systems

Make up your damn mind
>>
File: 1444953949259.png (238 KB, 511x480) Image search: [Google]
1444953949259.png
238 KB, 511x480
Just go ahead, call it Linux, suggest Flash, Steam, Skype, Sublime and enjoy sucking company dick together with your Microsoft friends.

You'll come back when your mouth is worn out from sucking proprietary dick. You come back on your knees, begging for freedom, when all GNU/Linux distros are the same botnet machines just like Windows, because you didn't care, because you are afraid being called autistic by technology illiterates who call the thing "Linux" and think it's just a hobby project by some finnish student.
>>
>>53681755
Linux, Linux, Linux
>>
File: doublesguy.jpg (14 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
doublesguy.jpg
14 KB, 251x251
>>53681755

Dubs of the |truth|.
>>
>>53681755
>... but I'll say GNO.
>>
>>53681799
Double confirmed.
>>
>>53681755
Okay. As an alternative to Steam what would you suggest? GOG? Or is that also haram?
>>
>>53681847
GOG is definly the lesser evil (no digital handcuffs).
>>
>>53681847
Why using a client at all?
>>
>>53681867
Meaning it is still evil. So what game distribution platform would you view as non-evil? And if it doesn't currently exist, what would your ideal game-distribution model look like?

I'm not baiting, I'm just curious what people on the libre-everything camp think about that
>>
>>53681898
Games in and of themselves are haram. Mindless distractions
>>
>>53681971
Oh, gotcha.
>>
>>53681971
A game isn't automatically haram. There are many free games out there.
>>
>>53682061
So let me get this straight. If a game developer releases his game for free, it's okay, but if he wants to put food on his table through the sale of his game, it's haram?
>>
>>53682061
>mindless distractions
Free game is even more haram. It would be like a drug dealer purposely distributing free drug to get as many victims.
>>
>>53681898
I think everyone has the bad habit of enjoying games. Just choose the lesser evil and run them in a sandbox, VM, emulator, whatever, so you have control about what it does.
>>
>>53682154
How do you feel about movies?
>>
>>53682131
Free software isn't nonfree when you sell it.
Free software is about freedom, not price.
>>
>>53682167
Same shit different package
>>
>>53682177
Say libre when you mean free as in freedom, say gratis when you mean free as in free beer, so you're more easily understood
>>
>>53682154
>>53682184
Found the guy who acts like the retarded version of a freetard to mock real freetards.
>>
>>53682184
How do you feel about any other recreational activity that humans may partake in? All mindless distractions?
>>
>>53682208
>How do you feel about any other recreational activity that humans may partake in?
Give me an example of what you had in mind
>>
>>53677989
What distro does dump core into home folder? What's that madness? Compare it to the way that systemd handles core dumps.
>>
>>53682131
There seems to be some misunderstanding, so here some pasta to clear things up:

> A program is free software if the program's users have the four essential freedoms:

> The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).
> The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
> The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
> The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

More info: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
>>
>>53680990
Does it make me an Autist that one of the reasons I don't edit Wikipedia when I find mistakes or well sourced new information because of little things like this?

It drives home to me that ultimately Wikipedia arguments will lead to decisions I don't like on an article I do have an investment in, so I decide that ultimately it's not worth my (worthless) time and someone else can contribute to their project. The Byzantine list of policies and policies on what is and isn't a reasonable source (which lead to some absurd situations where the sky is blue, but that can't be stated because nobody at a newspaper cares enough to write about it.) don't help either, though sometimes I do have sources that would probably qualify at hand.
>>
>>53682167
A movie isn't a program.
>>
>>53677276
>bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): not a tty
google says try running a getty ... but init is supposed to do that anyway right? Is your inittab al proper?
>>
>>53682131
Devs don't see that much of GoG revenue (for older titles) anyway.
>>
>>53678041
pretty sure grub can work with uefi? Otherwise from you bios/whetever screen you should be able to enable legacy boot.
>>
>>53682303
Question: if I'm a game developer and I release a game along with its source code so that anyone may study it and modify it as they see fit - and I also charge for it (since doesn't violate the freedoms) - what's stopping some random user from taking my game and selling it for cheaper without even changing the code? And maybe even claiming autorship over it?

My question is, how do you protect the author's rights to profit through the project he created and distributed originally?
>>
how did you guys learn shell scripting?
just from manuals over time
or is there a resource with good exercises etc.
>>
>>53678243
AFAIK runit isn't the default on any distro while openrc is.
>>
What's the easiest way to download a large number of package files? I'm talking about their tar.xz's. Currently I've got a sandbox where I just pacman the entire list of packages and go to /var/lib/pacman/cache/pkg but it seems so inefficient.

Ideas?
>>
>>53682347
Or even grabbing the author's source code (which he payed for) and then distributing it for free?

The author gets kind of fucked in that scenario, doesn't he?
>>
>>53682350
You can learn by using it for various problems - but if you want an useful tip - take a book - modern one preferably and go trough practicing what it teaches you.
>>
>>53678248
err, did you try running xrandr --auto in a terminal. Just a stab in the dark there.
>>
>>53682350
just think of stuff you want to make and read documentation on the different aspects of what you need to make them. You'll pick it up pretty quick.
>>
>>53682197
shitty italian memaro
>>
>>53679609
with parted or gparted. As long as you greated the raid device out of the full drive rather than partitions.
>>
>>53682395
gratis = free in both spanish and italian
libre = free in just spanish, not italian

pls learn other languages
>>
>>53682441
that doesn't change ur italian spaghetti code
>>
>>53682364
I agree with u, I don't think that free software is always possible. If a game dev wants to... survive with his work, he HAS to make it non-libre.
>>
>>53682441
American is the only language I need
>>
What is the default hotkey in GNOME for deleting something in Nautilus?

Delete on my keyboard doesn't work for some reason, I have to right click and move to trash.
>>
>>53682471
you could make the game code libre, but the assets (levels, sprites, sounds, music, 3d models etc.) non-libre

see: doom
>>
>>53682471
No he doesn't. Selling copies isn't the only possible business model. And it doesn't necessarily work for proprietary software either; people will still copy and share the binaries and crack them if need be.
>>
>>53682505
but that means there's something non-libre. you would just be running away from the main issue.
>>
>>53680950
IIRC (and it's been a while) you can do it either way. Either make a raid out of whole disks and partition that or make raids out of partitions.
>>
File: 1433302115323.jpg (74 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
1433302115323.jpg
74 KB, 620x412
>>53677230
>Linux
>>
>>53681255
*shrugs* try using apt-get? Also dist-upgrade
>>
>>53681323
in fstab
UUID=... /home/myuser/download ext4 rw 0 0
>>
>>53682350
>how did you guys learn shell scripting?

I had trouble with motivation.

I didn't truly appreciate shell scripts until using a Linux server at work with no gui, then figuring out how to write a shell script to make it do something that Windows would need a python program or something for, and then making it automatically do it on startup.

Just kinda came from necessity. Figure out something you want to do
>>
File: 1458476259361.jpg (47 KB, 400x529) Image search: [Google]
1458476259361.jpg
47 KB, 400x529
>>53682552
Isn't it dangerous/poor-form to use both aptitude and apt-get?

Or is it okay and I just got meme'd?
>>
>>53682498
ctrl+delete
>>
>>53682363
Really want an answer to this if anybody knows.
>>
>>53682593
yeah I need to think outside of the box more here.
I'm probably going to just look through dotshare.it or github for ideas.
>>
>>53682347
There are a bunch of licenses that say you can't use the copyright owners name in vain but not so many non-commercial licenses. Most projects that do that use a more common license with a non-profic clause added. The CC licenses have a non-commercial clause. There is this one I have never heard of before here https://opensource.org/licenses/NPOSL-3.0
Basically that isn't a fashionable restrict in free software autist circles. See here for some rationale: https://opensource.org/faq#selling
>>
>>53682471
Or they could build up a good brand so people would pay out of loyalty or trust. Or have other tie-ins like changing for the stadard server or something.
>>
>>53682777
250W PSU is cutting it pretty close, but for your purposes it should be alright. Looks pretty good for what you want to do.
>>
>>53682650
I have never had a rationale for that and have never had any problem with it. You can solve any dependancy tangle you get into with some manual marking/unmarking and elbow grease anyway. If someone tells you that you can get you system messed up to the point you have to re-install they are just fucking wrong.
>>
>>53682795
Ignore, totally just replied to the wrong thread.
>>
>>53682777
I think it's impossible to have a massively player vs. player (competitive) game that's libre.
there would have to be some incentive for the player not to cheat.
>>
>>53682819
people cheat with closed source, too
>>
>>53682650
Debianfag here: You should stick to either apt or aptitude. Never use both, because they work differently. Example: You remove a package with apt and install another another with aptitude - aptitude doesnt know about the removal and you may get problems.
>>
>>53682814
You use package managers so you don't have to juggle dependencies yourself.
>>
Isn't Mac more secure than Linux
>>
>>53682883
Aren't they both front-ends to dpkg?
>>
>>53682883
> comfirmed meme
https://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/06/20/apt-get-aptitude-%E2%80%A6-pick-the-right-debian-package-manager-for-you/
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_literal_apt_get_literal_literal_apt_cache_literal_vs_literal_aptitude_literal
>>
>>53683019
No
>>
>>53683128
How so, it's so vulnerable.
>>
>>53683124
>_literal_apt_get_literal_literal_apt_cache_literal_vs_literal_aptitude_literal
needs more literal.
>>
>>53683197
In what way is Linux vulnerable that Mac is not
>>
>>53683215
Is open source not more vulnerable
>>
>>53683249
On the contrary, open source is stronger because everyone can read the code, notice flaws, and improve them as a collective effort

Closed source, you're putting all your faith and trust into a single company to get shit right and not drop the ball, ever

Why do you think security experts / penetration testers / white-hat hackers run Linux distributions
>>
>>53683249
Holy shit are you elaborately rusing me?
>>
>>53683249
open source is "you can trust it BECAUSE you know exactly what it is doing"
closed source is "you trust it blindly, because you don't know what it is doing"
>>
>>53683307
Let's be real I'm the last person I should trust. I'm trusting you or a company
>>
>>53683345
No one is forcing your hand. You can keep using Mac as long as it feels safe for you.

I'm just here to tell you that, being real, your opinion is wrong.

Trusting thousands upon thousands of people checking code that everyone can see and contribute to and review > Trusting a company that presents you with a magic box and you don't know what it's really doing under the hood

So you're not trusting me, per say. You're trusting thousands of people who are very much invested in making sure that the operating system and the software that they use is squeaky clean, because they use it too.
>>
>>53683389
Well I did mean you in the plural form
>>
>>53683423
The argument stands

It's trusting a large group of people who are invested in making sure what they use is safe precisely because they use it and need it versus trusting a company whose main goal is profit.

There's nothing wrong with Apple, I have nothing against Mac, but I don't really see how you could make the argument that Mac is more secure than Linux in this way.
>>
ABout 4 years ago I tried Ubuntu and very much liked it, albeit I hated the unity aspet of it. I recently got a laptop that has Windows 10 on it, and due to security concerns (which I haven't taken seriously until now) I want to switch back to linux. I'm thinking about getting Xubuntu because its lightweight (the laptop I got is about 5 years old with no upgraded parts) and looks nice plus it doesn't have unity. Is it good privacy-wise? I don't plan on using google on the computer because of how shady they've become and I practice safe browsing habits otherwise. Thanks guys
>>
>>53683124
>>53683213
>>53682883
>>53682650
Well fuck me sideways. I tried going with apt-get for the upgrade and it worked like a charm. Very fast, used a minimal amount of RAM, and got everything in order.

I guess aptitude was a poor choice for upgrading, but a good choice for everything else. I'll try to keep using it that way.

Because seriously, waiting like an hour for aptitude's upgrade, using 7GB of RAM and then failing got old pretty quick.
>>
>>53683467
Did unity even exist 4 years ago?
>>
>>53683467
It's pretty safe.

You could actually get away with using any distro, not just the lighter ones. Xubuntu and Lubuntu are optimized for computers that are about a decade old and run on 1GB of RAM or less.

I personally recommend either Ubuntu GNOME or Linux Mint (which is Ubuntu+Cinammon+some changes). Be aware that there are certain concerns floating around Mint's dev team after their website was compromised for about a day, but they're taking measures to ensure it doesn't happen again.
>>
>>53683453
Unless I research that I'm in singular trusting you though
>>
>>53683513
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Ubuntu_12.04_LTS_.28Precise_Pangolin.29
Yep. This is the version I tried before I went back to windows 7
>>
>>53683284
In theory absolutely, however unless it's an absolutely massive project not many people are going to read it anyway and a professional team may do a better job.
>>
>>53683467
If your concern is privacy you can't go wrong with Debian. It's what Ubuntu's based on.

Be warned though, it might be a bit less user-friendly to install and whatnot - but googling things and asking here should get you there. It's what I did, and I'm happy with what I got.

>>53683567
>>53683587
It is a pretty massive project. But seriously dude, I'm not here to convince you to use Linux. That's your call. If you're happy on Mac just stay on Mac
>>
>>53683604
>It is a pretty massive project.
I was speaking in general terms, I didn't even read what project your speaking of.

I'm not the mac fag, whoever that is. First post of the thread.
>>
File: 1448009108862.jpg (29 KB, 457x457) Image search: [Google]
1448009108862.jpg
29 KB, 457x457
>>53677230
>Linux OS
I thought it's called Ubuntu
>>
>>53683467
you could install literally any distro with xfce, so just try and see which one fits you.
I recommend mint since it's easy to use and had an xfce version
>>
I still don't think I understand what is GNU.

Is it anything more than software under the GPL?
>>
>>53683670
see >>53680229
>>
>>53683646
It's pronounced Ubantoo
>>
>>53683710
Ooo-boon-too
>>
>>53683735
Uga Buga Buga
>>
>Restoring personal data from a Windows backup into Debian
>Start noticing a bunch of these weird, seemingly empty desktop.ini files laying around in many folders
>Search for them in just my Music folder alone

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
what the fuck
>>
>>53683689
cool but it seems to me rms and crew are more of an advocacy than anything else actually leeching from other peoples work
i know he can talk and has valid points and is also pathetic with his whole gnu/linux thing
>>
>>53683670
GNU is an operating system (GNU is a recursive acronym and stands for GNU's not Unix! to stress that there is no Unix code in GNU's code)

It's development was started by RMS (the smiling bearded guy in the /g/ sticky) in 1983, when he was a student at MIT.
>>
>>53683670
Richard Stallman creted GNU in 1984 to have a completely free operating system. It's license is the GPL, which Linus later used to re-release his kernel, which was orginally nonfree software. Since GNU wasn't finished with it's own kernel, they added Linux, so people could use GNU immediately, without further waiting.
>>
What music player with a GUI do you guys recommend to replace Rhythmbox?
I tried to like it but it just doesn't click with me.
>>
>>53683785
see >>53681755
>>
>>53683843
deadbeef
>>
>>53683771
That's what happens when the OS stores directory preferences locally.

OS X has a similar quirk, but the file is named .DS_Store.

Kind of shitty way of doing things if you ask me.
It's not like directory preferences are critical to anyone to make them distributed instead of putting them in a central directory
>>
>>53683843
For managed playlists I use mpd with GMPC graphical client.

But I keep banshee installed, because it handles audio cd nicely, so in case I want to open something without ripping it's always there.
>>
>>53683771
find / -type f -name desktop.ini -delete
>>
>>53683876
Yeah, it seems really dumb

I'm a recent Windows convert. What other things does Windows do that are nonsensical or downright silly as compared to Linux? I'm curious
>>
>>53683824
explains why you fags call it gnu/linux
alright then, gnu/linux from now on
>>
>>53683905
>What other things does Windows do that are nonsensical or downright silly as compared to Linux? I'm curious

If I were to bring up one thing that bugs me the most about using a Windows machine after years of being a freetard that would be window management.

I can't fucking live without Alt/Super + mouse button to move and resize windows.
And since on linux literally every single WM supports this I feel severely handicapped when using WIndows.

I wished Microsoft would just implement it. It's not like anyone patented this feature.
So fucking useful.

>I'm a recent Windows convert.
If you don't know what I'm talking about try it.
It's
Alt (or the windows key depending on the defaults) + left mouse to move windows
Alt (or again - windows key) + right to resize windows.
>>
File: 1439475114197.png (3 KB, 228x56) Image search: [Google]
1439475114197.png
3 KB, 228x56
>>53684105
pic related
>>53683905
>What other things does Windows do that are nonsensical or downright silly
Being literally malware.
>>
>>53684105
>Alt (or the windows key depending on the defaults) + left mouse to move windows

holy shit, nice

The resizing thing doesnt seem to work though. I'm using GNOME on Debian, if that helps
>>
>>53684191
Right click.
>>
>>53684105
I love the the window management options for Linux so fucking much.

I openly weep when I'm tired and forget that I can't switch workstation with Super + $Number on Windows.
>>
>>53684203
Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system “Linux” is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.
>>
>>53684199
Yeah, I know, it doesn't seem to work for me

It does bring up a small GNOME menu with the option to resize, but clicking on resize just lets me move it instead of actually resizing
>>
>>53684191
your mouse needs to be in the general area you want to "grab" (either one of four corners or just straight border area).

Hold it and move around

But since you're running Gnome I would advice to check on that too.
Gnome devs are faggots and love to fuck with people's workflow.
>>
>>53684292
Nah, I keep trying and it only lets me resize it when the cursor actually changes to the "resizing" cursor, meaning, I don't even need to hold Alt or Super at that point. And the resizing option in the little gnome menu doesn't work like I said, it just lets me move it.

Huh, I guess I found a bug right there
>>
>>53684191
>>53684199
>>53684240
Middle-mouse button is the default setting in Gnome for resizing. Can be changed in gnome-tweak-tool.

(Please include it in default installs, already.)
>>
>>53683905
Still not using utf-8 in 2016
>>
File: 1437704624874.jpg (56 KB, 453x294) Image search: [Google]
1437704624874.jpg
56 KB, 453x294
>>53677230
>Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To get a working system you
need a shell, compilers, a library etc. These are separate parts and may
be under a stricter (or even looser) copyright. Most of the tools used
with linux are GNU software and are under the GNU copyleft.

Linus Torvalds, http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/linux/historical/kernel/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01
>>
>>53684333
told you >>53684292
>>53684339
>>
>>53684339
Oh, yeah, that did the trick, thanks. It was super+middle click

I'll go ahead and check gnome-tweak-tool, sounds neat.

By the way - does anyone here know how I can make my middle click scroll work like it does in Windows? Meaning you just middle click when browsing a page and now you just move your mouse up or down to scroll?
>>
>>53683846
i see
licence dealers
>>
>>53684377
>Meaning you just middle click when browsing a page and now you just move your mouse up or down to scroll?
I don't think any linux DE has this as a "global" feature.

But on firefox go to
about:config

and set the value of
general.autoScroll

to true
>>
>>53684377
>does anyone here know how I can make my middle click scroll work like it does in Windows?
In Firefox, enable autoscrolling in preferences→advanced→general.

I value middle-click paste higher, but that's me.
>>
>>53684438
>>53684430
Thanks guys, you're the real MVP's
>>
>>53684438
>I value middle-click paste higher, but that's me.
It still works with the scrolling enabled, just checked.
>>
>>53684460
I use it to go to the URL I have in primary selection by just middle-clicking anywhere on the page.
>>
Just installed the Feeds reader app for linux mint. It werks so far but I can't manage the feeds. When I click the option to manage feeds just nothing happens. Am I missing some other app here that this one is dependant on?
>>
If I somehow brick my Debian install (or maybe not brick it, just that it won't boot properly), what do I have to do to fix it if I have a live USB?

Is it as easy as just booting from the live USB and troubleshooting there? Does the live USB still let me access my files/internet?

This hasn't happened to me, I just want to know what to do in case it does happen
>>
>>53684494
>what do I have to do to fix it
That obviously depends on what the problem would be
>>
>>53684494
>what do I have to do to fix it if I have a live USB?
If during the initial install you set /home directory to be on the separate partition then just reinstall and set the /home to not be wiped.

If you dumped everything into a single partition, can't help you, don't know.
>>
>>53684530
Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly in the first line, read on to the next two
>>
>>53684543
I did set /home to be separate, fortunately.

So even if everything gets FUBAR'd, in the worst case scenario I reinstall, don't wipe /home, and the config files and everything that reside in /home won't affect the new linux install?
>>
>>53684588
Yep, the only thing you will have to do to restore your pre-fubar system is install the software you had on the previous install.
>>
>>53684647
That's fucking wonderful. Awesome.

Definitely eases my nerves a bit
>>
>>53684553
You can mount your drives and even chroot into your system to fix things, but that still requires you to know what the problem could be.
>>
>>53682347
>what's stopping some random user from taking my game and selling it for cheaper without even changing the code
You still own the copyright to the game assets. Sure, you can steal the basic gameplay of a GTA title - many have done so - but not the story, the characters, the graphical and audio elements, etc.

On a more abstract level, if taken as a moral principle that software should be free (libre), you not being able to profit as a result of adhering to that principle isn't someone else's problem. If your factory can't profit without storing dangerous waste near residential areas (a deliberately hyperbolic example), then it's tough luck for your factory and not credible to blame government or citizens for being unhappy (and possibly ceasing to buy your goods/using regulatory powers to shut you down.) that the only way you can profit is by acting immorally. Tangentially, it's also your problem if you can't profit as a result of market forces (this is more a problem for piracy than libre software, but it's worth mentioning.) and an outdated business model.

Obviously that kind off dismissive attitude isn't helpful in convincing people that it's profitable to act morally (and large segments of it are more applicable to large software houses than individual coders), but it should be kept in mind while helping them when they appeal for sympathy.

>>53682524
A primary justification for libre software is the ability to learn from code. You can learn from copyrighted art simply by viewing it, you can't learn code from a proprietary program by simply running it. Perhaps 3d models are a bit more questionable on that front, but in general terms the difference is quite important.
>>53682521
Also this.
>>
Guys, when I update to Debian Testing I get this message at the end

N: Ignoring file '50unattended-upgrades.ucf-old' in directory '/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension

Should I do something about it? Safe to remove?
>>
>>53684105
>alt+mouse resize/move
When I used XP I had a tiny single binary autohotkey script which handless this perfectly.
>>
>>53684870
>Should I do something about it?
No, it's probably due to the fact you're upgrading to another branch.
>Safe to remove?
Just leave it there.

APT ignored it, you should too, nothing to sperg about.
>>
Is it a relatively safe procedure if I want to steal some empty space from my /var partition and give it to my /home partition?

I was kind of an idiot and gave /var 15 GB, just to be safe.

Yeah, yeah, I know, you can laugh
>>
>>53684889
Mind sharing it?

I still use XP for certain software (old vidya and blackberry autoloaders).

I could make use of it
>>
I guess I'm really having the dumb right now but I just can't figure out how to add new shortcuts to the bottom bar (right of the Start Menu button) on Cinnamon. Firefox and Terminal is already there (somehow) but I'd like to have others as well.
>>
>>53684917
One other thing: I read in the wiki that Debian Testing doesn't get the same frequency of security updates. Does that mean I should have my sources.list file still using jessie for security updates? Or both using stretch?
>>
>>53684925
>anything but /home on a separate partition
you dun goofed you know?
>>
>>53684889
If that works on later Windows versions, you should spread it all over the world. While I don't want to encourage people to use Windows, I don't want them to suffer.
>>
>>53684972
w-why?
I have /home, /var, and /temp on my HDD, and / on my SSD
>>
>>53684992
>>53684972
oh, and also swap on the HDD. I know /tmp and /swap were largely unnecessary, but still, wanted to be safe
>>
>>53683670
some "free software" implementation of a UNIX system to make any free software kernel look and feel like UNIX
>>
File: really.gif (2 MB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
really.gif
2 MB, 300x290
>>53684992
>/temp on my HDD
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.