[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Software internships and shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (108 KB, 1437x808) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
108 KB, 1437x808
Ok /g/ I know most of you are just NEETs, but for the successful college students here, let's have an internship general.

Where are you working this summer or preparing to intern soon? Im gonna be applying for internships through my school for the fall term and looking to maximize chances for a big 4 internship, learning algos and working on some projects right now
>>
B O T N E T
O
T
N
E
T
>>
Fucked up on interview to work at my school on a project for 6+ months. . .

So I guess I'm gonna try to find something in the next town over (hour and a half drive one way.)

If anyone knows the best site to search, I would be appreciative. My schools search is really shallow and dead.
>>
File: beer_cheers.jpg (14 KB, 385x240) Image search: [Google]
beer_cheers.jpg
14 KB, 385x240
>>53620657
good luck anon. im sure with some kickass projects you'll get in no problem.

i interned at some companies here cause there aren't big companies in my city. im approaching graduation (have 7 more classes until i m finished) so it doesnt make sense for me to go for another internship. i never applied for the big names like google and microsoft cause that would require me to relocate to another city, which i cannot do because i have to take care of my frail mother. in hindsight i should've applied just to see if i would even be considered competitive there.
nonetheless, the companies i interned at really treated me well and im looking to them for a job after i graduate. really nice work environment (some politics invovled, but whats a workplace without politics?), free snacks, low stress, and easily accessed from the train.
>>
>but for the successful college students here, let's have an internship general.
Why would you do an internship, OP?
>>
Your stories depress me. My internship was with a government department and it was a complete waste of time. Project got canned 2 weeks before I finished. Applied at the department when I graduated, they didn't have positions. That was 7 year ago, still haven't worked in the industry.
>this level of fail, feels good
>>
>>53620657
try meth. you will like it, trust me
>>
>>53620838
Options for later in life when you want to pursue your own startup, anon. Also it's nice having $30/hr job for 4 months when you're <20.

>>53620875
That's why you don't work at government or non-technical companies unless as last resort. They treat you like shit.
>>
I work at Google. If you want an internship, know your data structure and algorithms. CLRS is a good book, but doing well in a CS course on data structures/algorithms should be enough.

Be able to program as well. For a Google internship, if you live close to an office we might invite you to interview there in which case you'll code solutions on a whiteboard. If not, you'll code solutions in a Google Doc with a phone interviewer. Either way no pseudocode.

You also need to know basic computational complexity. You'll be asked space/time complexity of your solution and how to improve it. They should ask no soft skills questions at all.
>>
>>53621040
That's generally the advice I've heard from upper years, and my first year data structures course isn't too rigorous so I'm using clrs/ctci to study data structures in depth right now, then more algorithms afterwards (there's a more in depth algorithms course in later classes) .

What I'm more concerned about is actually getting an interview. How are candidates usually picked for internships? I know fall internships have less competition in general, but, and I apologize for being forward, (assuming you work at google) would a 3.5-3.7~ gpa from a good school yet projects involving somewhat non-trivial ML/some "algorithmically complex" games (ie chess ai with MC methods)/random Web dev stuff/hackathon wins be good enough for an interview?
>>
>>53621146
not who you replied to but
It's good to know your data structures and algos and shit, but what companies really like to see are cool personal projects, participation in relevant extracurriculars or previous work experience in software related areas. If you have some hackathon wins, you're probably golden. When I'm looking at resumes at career fairs, I will only care about good GPA if the rest of the resume is boring as shit.
>>
>>53621040
>Either way no pseudocode
What do you mean by this? Do you mean they don't want answers in pseudocode? I was under the impression that you should write pseudocode first and then write the actual implementation

>>53621146
Gtfo, you should be able to get an internship with no problem
>>
>>53620657
If you are applying now it's too late. Just kill yourself.
>>
>>53621040
hi moot
>>
>>53620973
>$30/hr job for 4 months when you're <20
Nobody gets an internship when they are younger than 20
>>
>>53621040
I saw your post in /biz/.
>>
>>53623625
I made $40/hr after my freshman year.
>>
Now is about the right time to start applying for internships for next summer.

Wait, are you talking about this summer? Kek you messed up.

Start applying for welfare internship instead, they're more tolerant. After a year of unpaid welfare internship they'll start you on real welfare.
>>
>>53620657
>Where are you working this summer or preparing to intern soon?
At a factory making minimum wage. Im not good enough to actually be worth hiring after my first year of CS
>>
I hope I get something to do in summer, I've been invited to a speed-interview thing next week.
>>
>>53620657
Something regarding python and web sockets. I hate web dev..
>>
>>53623625
NEET.
>>
>>53620657
Small, local software companies are MUCH comfier than giant corporations. Being a cog in a machine sucks.
>>
Physics student here.

Will be writing software for a national lab. to do analysis for fluid dynamic data and models.

AMA
>>
>>53620657
Any anon for tips on internships that get people from outside USA? (I know google and facebook do) but any other would be welcome.
Thanks.
>>
How many semesters of any type of programing studies (cs, informatics, CE etc) does one need before you start to get accepted for internship positions?
Anyone know what they usually want for the Google office in London? I am from Europe.
>>
>>53626758
Im wondering this too, the generic ad seems to require three years of studies but i guess a good portfolio would be enough
>>
>>53626232
MATLAB? Sandia? GPA? White?
>>
Will interview tomorrow for 6 month internship at Microsoft
Project seems interesting
>>
Interning at Tesla this coming summer, I am Elon's bitch
>>
I got a great placement at a local web-design/app place. Seems super comfortable. I've to email my uni about it.
>>
Interning at Apple!
>>
>>53629337
You've been terminated for disclosing you work for Apple.
>>
I start a 16 month internship soon, and they said they prefer to keep people on after the internship.

Definitely have some projects to show off and try to contribute to open source. Interviewers love that shit.
>>53621040
If you legitimately work for Google... I was contacted by a Google recruiter, but I told them I'm starting an internship soon and would be more available after it. Did I fuck up a good chance or was that OK to do? I wasn't sure how to handle being handled by a recruiter as it came out of left field.
>>
>>53629758
Nah you're fine. I turned down Google but I'll apply next year, just keep the connection with your recruiter.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.