[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi there, I'm a Windows user trying to get into Linux and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: elementary-os-linux-004.png (617 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
elementary-os-linux-004.png
617 KB, 1366x768
Hi there, I'm a Windows user trying to get into Linux and wanted to know what do you think about Elementary OS as a first step into the unknown. I´d like to install Gentoo or Arch Linux some day but for now I need something not so time consuming and easy to learn. What do you think? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>53616355
Its shit, go with ubuntu if you want to learn linux.
>>
Don't listen to the meme trolls. There's nothing you can't learn in elementary, or ANY linux distro, that you can learn in gentoo/arch.

Elementary is a pretty nice OS. Tightly controlled to conform to a unified look, which may or may not appeal to you, but there's nothing wrong with that.

In my experience it was a tad sluggish compared to other distros, but nothing unusable or frustrating.

Give it a try, you might like it enough to keep it. Or you might like the concept but want something else. Who knows? But there's nothing wrong with a tightly curated OS. Give it a try.
>>
>>53616494

why is shit? Any text/vid link to learn more about it? The flame wars are real and I get so fucking confused :s
>>
>>53616588
>Its just a OSX ripoff theme linux distro
You don't have to use your brain to know a distro its shit if it is made by 12yo hipster kids.
>>
>>53616355
>>>/g/flt/
Lurk moar, faggot.
>>
>>53616576
wow thanks man, I'll give it a try, have to start somewhere, and if you have any link to give me so I can keep learning will be great.
>>
>>53616649
you can help me too if you want :)
>>
Get ubuntu and put your Desktop environment of choice on it which should be Mate
>>
>>53616355
Manjaro. It just werks.
>>
>>53616588
I'm not the guy who's being negative of it

I've had problems with it holding back updates in the past. Use a more upstream distribution (Ubuntu w/ Unity/ GNOME/etc) isn't all that different.
>>
>>53616677
I'm actually not real up on elementary OS personally. I use Trisquel. I do know that the official Ubuntu forums will be your biggest asset, as elementary is based on Ubuntu. Other than that, are you looking for linux basics, elementary tips, etc...? Narrowing it down a bit would help give you better recommendations for further reading ;)
>>
>>53617215
Please LURK MORE
>>
>>53616625
>they are hipsters therefore they cannot write a program
the age of the neckbearded computer nerd is over buddy
>>
>>53617350
>the age of the neckbearded computer nerd is over buddy

I wish I had a neck beard while using Arch Linux :'(
>>
I say go Ubuntu, Elementary is nice but Ubuntu has the massive online support that you can go to with just about any problem imaginable.

A first challenge is to install a different desktop environment than unity, i recommend XFCE since it works pretty well and is the standard "taskbar, desktop icons, easy menus" kinda deal.

Installing Ubuntu itself is really easy, it has its own built in program for installing drivers, everything is plug and play just like Windows and it jus werks.

Learn to use the command line for some stuff and use the ubuntu websites or software center for other things, the quickest way to learn how2linux is to just drop yourself into it with a goal in mind. Mine was to install cowsay on a chromebook,
>>
>>53616355
It's fine. If you have any further question, you can head to /flt/. I think elementary is a good start.

Keep in mind that window management is not going to be same as windows but you'll get used to it
>>
>>53616355
in short: I love eOS
>>
>>53616576
Disagree, maybe it is a good starting point or even permanent solution, but when it comes to learning.. I started on linux with ubuntu 12.04 i think, used it for some stupid homework and i started to like linux... Tried kali... And then tried arch, what i learned just installing it once is not comparable to what he will just installing elementary os I'm sure, but depends on what he is looking for... But yeah give it a try OP and if you feel like understanding whats going on with basic os stuff... Just install arch once, it is a cool experience if you are a geek.
>>
>>53616355
Этo хopoшo мoи бpaт
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.