[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>trying to figure ot the password to this .rar folder. >average
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Untitled.png (134 KB, 1921x1077) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
134 KB, 1921x1077
>trying to figure ot the password to this .rar folder.
>average speed with full range of all possible passwords: ~ 580p/s
>including dictionary with passwords: ~26p/s

Why the fuck does it take so long when using a dictionary? Anything I can do to make it faster?
>>
>>53582711
Nvm, running the programm 5 times and splitting the password dictionary file bumps it up to a total of ~ 250p/s at 80% CPU usage.
I guess this kinda fixes the problem.
>>
>>53582896
Doesn't it string multiple words together and munge them like a good dictionary attack? Things like "A1pHaz3br@" (from 'alpha' and 'zebra'). If you split up the dictionary, it will cut down the number of combinations like this that it can try because no process's dictionary will have both alpha and zebra in it.

Or is this a one word dictionary attack, just scanning through and trying each and corruptions of it?

Also, if you're trying to crack one of those retarded rars that they want you to do dumb offers to obtain the password for, the password's probably a bunch of random numbers and letters.
>>
>>53583727
A one word dictionary attack.
I was just wondering why it took him so long to enter a 8 digit word that he fetched from a file compared to an 8 digit word that he "came up with" himself.

The only possible reason I can think of is an added delay when reading the .dic file, but it shouldn't really cut the passwords per second down to < 10%.
>>
>>53583727
Oh, and I made this .rar file a year ago but forgot the password. And I am 100% sure I did not use random numbers and letters and the password is most likely between 8 and 12 digits.
Compared to running a pure bruteforce (every possible scenario) from 7 to 13 digits (just to make sure) will take me for ever (almost literally) a dictionary attack is my best guess.
>>
>>53582711
>windows
please leave this board
>>
>>53583891
Why do you password protect your archives instead of just using full disk encryption?
Why didn't you just Keep|LastPass?
What's in it?
>>
>>53583913
kek
>>
>>53583943
>wrongfully implying all these things.
You misunderstood.

I made this .rar, protected it with a password and uploaded it to uploaded.to so I could share it.

If you think there is any reason to believe "password protected rars are stupid, just encrypt your local HDDs hurr durr" makes any sense in THIS scenario you should think about what you are saying more carefully.

Its pictures of my ex-gf as far as I know. Im not quite sure though.
>>
>>53583913
>>53584094 (You)

Now kill yourself.
>>
>>53584109
Don't password protect RARs unless it's CP faggot.

No one cares enough about your ex slut's nudes to waste time trying to crack it or wait for you to do it.

If you're that desperate to fap to her nudes then I feel sorry for you.
>>
>>53584243
>I dont have anything to hide so its okay for everyone to look at my data
You fucking 'murricans srsly need to kill yourselves.

>inb4 .rar password doesnt protect you from fbi dumbfuck
Yes, but it protects me from almost anyone else, in case you still didn't get the point of protecting files with passwords before uploading them you dense fucking idiot.

Also, I'm not doing this because of "muh important data" or "muh nudes" but because I don't have anything better to do and I'm curious of what password I used and if this is actually going to work.
Again, I don't even know for sure what the content of this file is.
>>
>>53582711
>windows
>>>/trash/
This is a technology board.
>>
>>53584243
>No one cares enough to waste time trying to crack it
Also, I never asked anyone to fucking crack it and I never asked for anyone to stay ITT till Im done doing so. Im not going to upload anything thats inside this folder anyways.. Learn to read before posting on a board that requires reading.
I was just asking why a dictionary attack takes way longer than a "normal" brute force. I would still love to get an answer to that, in case anyone knows why this is happening.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.