[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ethernet, Fiber Optic, Coaxial for Internet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Ethernet - Coaxial.jpg (9 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
Ethernet - Coaxial.jpg
9 KB, 300x200
So my ISP gives me 50/25Mbps Down/Up uncapped for ~ $10/month and they had a promotion that gave me 100/50Mbps for $5/month for the the first 6 months then 10 again for a 2 year contract if sign again with them. I agreed, thinking why not.

Today this guy came around with a Modem to install the internet connection through my Coaxial cable that's for my 140 Digital TV channels that I get with the contract. I use a separate Ethernet Lan cable for my Internet for years now which I think should be fiber optic and I assumed they would just bump up my connection from 50/25 to 100/50 but the guy told me that they were switching to this "new tech" and that it was the way of the future or something, that it was better for diagnosing problems, more stable under weather conditions and just overall better. I've used net over model from coax cable in the past and I vowed to never again since it gave a bunch of issues that are off topic but bottom line is I told him to fuck off. Then I went to their desk office to check if there wasn't a mistake and to make sure they knew that I want fiber optic net and the lady behind the desk explained to me that their lan internet network was old and that I would get a maximum of 80Mbps through it and the only way they could provide 100 was through this modem + coaxial shit that I don't want to touch with a ten foot pole.

The way I see it. They cheaped out on their network tech and figured they would provide that service through their established coaxial TV network which is cheaper for them to maintain. Or is there some limitation where I can't get 100Mbps through Ethernet cable? Is it possible? I thought Fiber Optic and Ethernet - no modem bullshit involved was the best type of connection to get?

What's the tech behind these IPS companies? What's the deal here? Isn't my net fiber optic? They say that it wasn't stable and during heavy raid they constantly have maintenance problems. Is that just them?
>>
I guess they wanted to switch you over from DSL to cable?

Cable can be shit in highly populated areas, because it is a "shared medium", you don't have guaranteed speeds when everyone comes home at 5pm and your internet speed crumbles. On DSL it's a different story. But both (V)DSL and cable can be run over fiber optics in some parts, maybe not directly to your home.
>>
>>53519985
>I guess they wanted to switch you over from DSL to cable?
I'm not sure really but they didn't call it DSL, another provider used to provide that service back in the day. I thought my net was fiber optic lan or something. It's a long Ethernet cable that comes from somewhere outside my home and connects directly to my PC in my lan card and there's light from the plastic head... hmm that might have been something from my old motherboard as I checked now and on my new PC there isn't light in the cable head but separate light next to the port.
>>
>>53520153
Probably something different, I don't know too much about fiber. For DSL you would probably have some extra boxes and a modem, and login details in your router
>>
D-did you think there was a fiber optic cable plugged into your pc? kek

They probably upgraded your modem to docsis3. Your old ass Ethernet cable are probably cat3 or something and cannot into 100mbps
>>
>>53519923
Cable beats DSL nigger.
Besides you can't even into gigabite speeds with that connection why are you even being so bitchy?
You that a fiber tip maker for cables costs 3000$ and renting it is about 300$ a day so don't expect fiber going to your house any day of the week without paying atleast 300$ on the instalation besides giving you a fiber backbone would be completly retarded for your current service.
Heck they probably don't still have the fucking server infrastructure to run fiber yet lol.
Besides the bandwith limit for a single cable is 500 Mbit so your fine on coax right now famer.
>>
>>53520205
>D-did you think there was a fiber optic cable plugged into your pc? kek
Yes, I did. I thought it shot light directly into my PC like a motherfucker and my PC interpreted that signal through some space age laser data transfer tech.
>>53520198
>For DSL you would probably have some extra boxes and a modem, and login details in your router
Nope. Nothing like that. Just a cable that I connect to my PC and the internet comes. Magic. (I assume all the boxes and tech are in on the building walls or underground where their cable network it. Sometimes after heavy rain/snow they get issues and have to call the maintenance teams.
>>53520205
>Your old ass Ethernet cable are probably cat3 or something and cannot into 100mbps
I assumed that was what she meant. That there was some standard limitation they reached. But you can get 100Mbps over Ethernet cable, right? It's just them not having the newest tech? I'm just asking because the way that guy said it, it sounded they were going to ditch that part of their network because it was too heavy maintenance and eventually force all of us to use their coaxial network. In that case I can just switch to one of the other 8 providers here that actually give real fiber 100Mbps net.

Are they any benefits to using a modem like he said? I think he was bullshitting me.
>>
>>53520271
>Besides you can't even into gigabite speeds with that connection why are you even being so bitchy?
It's not about the speed I want to make sure I don't have to use a modem or anything in between because it's just another box that I have to find place for and a power outlet then I have to dust that bitch and then there was back in the day when I did use one it used to give me strange issues like it wouldn't let me turn off my PC. I would try to power down and it would turn off and imediately restart again if I don't unplug the cable from the modem to the PC. That went away with a different model modem but still I had other issues with the quality and stability of the service. I just would rather not have any routers or modems involved. Like I said I prefer it. Plug the cable - magic.
>>
>>53520491
So essentially you want to be retarded to the point where you want everyone to access your shit right?
>>
>>53520593
What do you mean? That a modem provides extra security? I'm just saying all I use now is just some Ethernet cable that plugs in. I checked and there is this small metal box that I think the cable comes from outside my door. I thought it was some relay box or something. Is that the modem that is docsis3?
>>
>>53520638
COAX PLUG DOCSIS MODEN
MODEN RECIEF INTERNETS
MODEM PLUG COMPUTAH UR RUTER
INTRANET WORK UN RUTER AND SAEF

Does that work for you?
>>
>>53520373
>But you can get 100Mbps over Ethernet cable, right?
From what I learned from Wikipedia just now, Cat3 can do 100Mbps, but given your description (issues in winter, etc.) the cable might be old, unshielded, placed in shitty condition etc etc. so that you might not reach 100Mbps reliably at all.
>>
File: modem.png (147 KB, 405x401) Image search: [Google]
modem.png
147 KB, 405x401
>>53520714
The story of the infrastructure is: back in the day my local Home telephone company provided DSL type internet while the private TV company gave internet though a Pic Related type modem through their coaxial cable that used to run analog TV (my country went into digital TV just a year or two ago) so they had that network established. Another company provided something called Lan Net or something. That third company merged with the TV company and when that happened I switched to their Optic Lan Ethernet service that didn't use any modems at all. I have been very happy as I've been getting relatively reliable high speeds both locally and internationally - 25/15 then I upped to 50/25 with this Ethernet cable type connection that just comes from some metal gray box on the outside wall of the building. Now their new offer for 100/50 uses again their coaxial network which I wasn't happy with back in the day and always considered some older tech. I'm not very sure what my type of connection that I use with just the cable is but they always called it optic and today the girl behind the desk explained that their optic network that they use to get the net to my home couldn't provide me more than 80 mbps so they wouldn't be able to give me that speed over that network so I assumed they just don't want to invest in newer tech of the same kind and want to switch to coaxial cable for their own corporate maintenance cost reasons.
>>
Okay so I checked here
http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/internet_connection_types.asp

and the only types of internet connection that I could possibly be using to get the 50/25Mbps I'm getting now are either:

VDSL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_digital_subscriber_line
But I'm not sure if this type of connection uses a modem under any and all circumstance. The 55 Mbps limit is through a over a single flat untwisted or twisted pair of copper wires, which I think is what I have and then to get 100Mbps you need a coaxial cable and I'm sure that needs a modem.

or

T-3 Lines – Dedicated Leased Line
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-carrier
Hmm but this is only up to 34Mbps but then if it's a higher level it should reach above 130Mbps so it's not this.

or

OC3 - Optical Carrier
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_Carrier_transmission_rates
In my case OC1 which is up to 51Mbps. By reading the description on wikipedia I think this is the one I'm looking for.
>>
I assume my IPS/TV provider uses this type of network infrastructure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_fibre-coaxial
to provide both Digital TV and Internet + Optic internet. Since they can provide both Optic and Cable interned they probably found it cheaper to not invest in newer optic network equipment and limited their tech to 50-80Mbps consumer lines and planned to use their coaxial lines for their 100+Mbps customers. I can't say I'm happy with this because this means I have to use a shitty modem if I want to upgrade to higher speeds.

The way it is now I can still use a rooter if I wanted to I just don't need a modem which is better in my mind. I'm curious about this because it looks like my ISP is cheaping out on me and every day I get calls from competitors who give me better offers and are almost begging to suck my dick to switch to their service. I just never considered it because I don't want to bother with having people come and change cables since each provider owns the cables they use to provide the service and you have to run new ones each time you change your ISP.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.