[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi everyanon, I'm a 23 Years old, recent masters degree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Hi everyanon, I'm a 23 Years old, recent masters degree in marketing. Since a few months, while looking for a job, I became interested in CS and started studying python by myself, with no expectations, just because I found it a funny hobby, but quickly had first ideas on games I could be able to create if I'm good enough. Small things, some running games, some "political incorrect" games, a Zelda clone with an original story, a horror game based on the book "Phantoms" that I recently read. And many others, that I'd love to publish for free or with ads.

I'm currently an intern/freelance in a startup company, which atm doesn't require a high effort. Since the employment situation here (southern Europe) isn't very good, I could remain an intern for some years and this could help me dedicate a portion of my daily time to keep learning new stuff, in python or other languages or programs. Also, I thought it could differentiate my curriculum when I try to get a job in a tech company, getting me some money.

I feel like I need some advices from you, like how much time should I dedicate to this passion, what should I expect because of my background, if any other like me discovered his passion only after completing his studies and how was his experience.
In a few weeks I'd like to make some experiments by myself. For the engine I thought of Godot because the scripting language is very similar to Python and I like the idea of free software. I'm awful at any kind of drawing and music creation, but I may find a solution for that, too.

Sorry for the wall of text but thank you for helping
>>
Bro
The employment situation is shit everywhere except the US and even then only in some industries. A ~15% youth unemployment is normal in most countries.

If your internship keeps you on for more than a few months, just stay there until things get better. You'll have years of work experience, I'll have to explain why I have years of neet.
>>
If you like it, then you already passed the biggest hurdle.
But having ideas and actually implementing them are things that are lightyears apart.
For starters try and actually make a simple game from scratch, even if its turn based with ascii "graphics", like chess, tetris, space invaders.
Even in such simple games, you need to get player input, check the winning conditions, display the game, move a bunch of objects around... and thats how you learn. Onece you finish and look at what you have done you will realize some mistakes, better ways to have structured your code, some complex things that could have been solved with a single built-in function etc.

as for art and music, in the prototyping phase you can just use colored squares and circles. Some engines come with a selection of default assets and DLC packs for more. Some games put their stuff into public domain, including the source code. Steam and Humble Bundle regularily have game making tools on sale, in fact right now there is a sale
https://www.humblebundle.com/cryengine-bundle
>>
>>53518155
>I went to school, now give me my $100k starting salary
First of all, Marketing is a high energy career. If you finished your masters (assuming you've been able to do this only 5 years out of high school) then why aren't you applying yourself toward higher level jobs? Are you under the assumption that this startup company is going to make it big?
Also, re-read your post aloud and take a grammar class. If your resume didn't have as many run-on sentences as your post you may have found a better job.
>>
>>53518326
>A ~15% youth unemployment is normal in most countries.

It's 45% in my country, according to government "statistics". 15% is bretty gud.
>>
OP Here
>>53518326
I sent a hundred-something work requests, and this is the only company that answered me, giving me this short term marketing project (the intern part), together with a commission-based selling job (the freelancer part). At the end of the project I'll probably look for another internship where I can learn more.

>>53518379
Perfectly aware of the difficulties, it took me hours only to make my first "if" statements work. Luckily the difficulty of this world fascinates me.
Small games and no graphics were my idea also, of course.

>>53518390
I'm perceiving some hatred
>>I went to school, now give me my $100k starting salary
Where did I say that? I don't have high money expectations, from my job nor from programming, and my other hobbies are only moderately expensive.
>(assuming you've been able to do this only 5 years out of high school)
I'm not sure what you mean, but if you're hinting I took too much in my education, in Italy the system is: five years of High School, three of Bachelor and 2 of Masters; unless you started school one year ahead, took a sabbatical or lost some time along the way 23 yo is the normal age for a master grad to enter the workforce.
>why aren't you applying yourself toward higher level jobs? Are you under the assumption that this startup company is going to make it big?
I want to make the best job I can do in this startup, but it's a really low level one and I don't know if they're gonna make me stay after this project. I only applied for internships because I don't expect a company to hire a newly graduate with no work experience into a high level job.
>Take a grammar class
As I may have hinted, English isn't my first language and I don't speak it erry day all day; I also don't write 4chan posts as I write my applications, however my poor language skills may have been a reason for international companies not hiring me, you're probably right.

>>53518828
Italian? I saw some similar statistics in here.
>>
>>53519137
Yeah.

I applied to all the jobs too.
>>
>>53519137
>Italian?

Yep
>>
>>53519166
>>53519184
Dai che ce la faremo.

>>53518379
For this couple of weeks I'll keep on practicing with python only, If I feel ready I'll try to make some really basic games with godot or a python library.
>>
>>53518155
>like how much time should I dedicate to this passion

as much as you want
>>
>>53518155
tldr fuck off to >>>/adv/
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.