[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just switched from Windows 10 to Ubuntu 15.10. I am still running
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: ubuntu-head.png (33 KB, 1191x842) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-head.png
33 KB, 1191x842
Just switched from Windows 10 to Ubuntu 15.10. I am still running Windows in a virtual machine, with only Visual Studio in it.

I know very few basics for this OS and I'm willing to learn. What habits should I lose and what do I need to learn in order to be productive, /g/?
>>
Just use it like you did windows.

>No Microsoft store
Use the software center

>my windows programs aren't compatible
Use wine or find a Linux alternative

Seriously you don't need to be shitting up this board with this stupid ass thread.

Just use it like you would windows. Canonical have gone a long way to make it this easy for you, don't insult them.
>>
>>53499916
The big one is installing software from a website.
Just search the repository (synaptic or terminal)

#search
apt-cache search pkg
apt-file search pkg
#install
apt-get install
#update system
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

If you stumble upon some cool command, write it down in your ~/.bashrc
Eg
alias api='sudo apt-get install'

And then you can call that command with api or get a list of all or one of your aliases by typing alias.

You can learn a lot of neat things like that, very useful if you want to bind an action to a hotkey.
>>
A lot of people will shit on you for using Ubuntu, but honestly, it's probably the best choice for those that have never used Linux before. It's a good way to get your feet wet and learn the basics. You need to learn to make the command line your friend. At some point, your system might be in a state where you don't have have a fancy GUI to save you.
>>
>>53500398
I chose Ubuntu because I already tried it a couple of times before, not particular reason really. I don't know anyone using different distros also, so I wasn't quite sure which one to use.
>>
>>53500446
Debian and Debian based distros(like Ubuntu) are pretty damn solid right now. Hardware compatibility is high and support is the best it's ever been. Look at Steam.

Don't get too comfortable with 15 because 16.04 LTS will be out within the next few months.
>>
>>53499916
>Windows 10
>Ubuntu
equally shit. ubuntu is window 10 of the linux realm
>>
>>53500562
what do you suggest? also can you explain why you say so? genuine question
>>
>>53500613
he's a faggot
don't ask faggots for advice
>>
>>53500613
That guy was retarded,

Ubuntu and Fedora are best distros out of the box, just disable spyware from ubuntu, and eventually remove unity.

You could've done that from start by choosing a spin-off like Kubuntu.

It's a good choice, Fedora would've been better at this point but keep ubuntu up.
>>
>>53499916
If you need to learn how to do something, learn how to do it through the terminal at every opportunity.

Sure, you can update your software through the software center, but get into the habit of using.

sudo apt-get update

... instead.

It'll become second nature in no time and will benefit you more in the long term.
>>
>>53499916
>to be productive
oh, you are one of those "I need to be productive" guys. You can watch your anime with mpv. Enough?
>>
>>53499916
>visual studio
>be productive
choose.
>>
learn the shell(terminal), and you'll be able to understand everything else.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.