[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion of the new VR headsets /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: htc-vive.jpg (73 KB, 1000x617) Image search: [Google]
htc-vive.jpg
73 KB, 1000x617
What's your opinion of the new VR headsets /g/?
>>
Only Sony VR will be (somewhat) successful.
>>
>>53594520
gaming Vr is bullshit:
-you can't play for too long because you'll be exhausted in no time
-too fucking slow, the skill cap will be pretty low because you're limited by your body more than playing with the mouse + keyboard combo.

I really don't see any good point, even immersion is almost inexistant, I tried it a few time
never felt amazed.

On another point, the sony one may be the most interesting if they really release a more powerful ps4 this summer.
>>
>>53594919
Your statement doesn't sound very educated, might I ask you which headset(s) you tried?

Let me get a few things straight:
- VR isn't good for multiplayer FPS. Hoover Junkers will probably be fun, but I don't see deep competitive elements there. Competitive FPS games will still be played at 2d for a pretty long time.
- VR will be strong in creative, exploration and simulation like games and probably a few things we haven't even thought about yet.
- PSRV is crap even if they release a more powerful ps4 this summer. Even on current high end PC's the capabilities are extremely limited and there simply is no way how Sony can compete unless they make a PS4.5 for 2000$ or stick to WII like graphics.
>>
>>53594919
>the skill cap will be pretty low because you're limited by your body

do you even lift fgt?
>>
>>53594919
reading your comment makes me wonder if something like pic related wrote this
>>
>>53594520
my opinion is. i'm lucky to just be old enough to be ready for this shit, on a financial perspective
>>
File: asdf.webm (722 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
asdf.webm
722 KB, 640x480
its breddy cool.

Man, this webm took forever to do correctly
>>
File: 1442339455163s.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1442339455163s.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
>>53596329
man I'm sooo jelly, I still need to wait more than two weeks for my HTC Waifu to arrive.

Btw. do you guys think my Intel i7 860 (from September 2009) will suffice combined with my GTX970. The Valve stress test says, I'm in the green. But I guess I'll be in trouble if a game isn't GPU optimized like it should be.
>>
>>53595168
>First person
>2D
Wat
>>
>>53596480
Yeah, 2D. Aka a picture drawn on a 2D LCD screen.
>>
I'm getting a Vive and I sure hope developers won't focus on first person shooters. There's so much more to do than generic shooters.
>>
>>53596530
there aren't really that many first person shooters right now, and there's not gonna be many being developed for rift and ported over because they cause bad nausea.
>>
>>53596530
I think there will be horrible games coming out from stupid companies like EA and what have you. But thanks to indie devs and Valve it should already be pretty clear how to design a decent VR game. I think especially the Vive launch titles incl. the Lab will show pretty good what works and what not. I think the Lab is pretty much what Wii Sports was on the Wii. Sadly developers back then didn't care to look what games work best on the Wii and just ported random FPS shit from other consoles.
>>
>>53594520
Just received a pair of cheap ass light stands with 1/4" tip, just waiting on two 1/4" tripod ball mounts and the vive to ship. I am excite
>>
>>53594520
>tfw you probably can't afford one for another couple of years
>>53596503
you do realize the headset is also just another 2D LCD screen(s), right?
>>
>>53596646
I ordered something similar to this (sorry for stupid link):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000067S12/ref=s9_simh_gw_g469_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0WACNKWNH93JPETM3VKJ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2437869742&pf_rd_i=desktop
>>
>>53596968
I got these, much cheaper.

2.1m seems plenty enough considering the base stations have around 120 degrees FoV.

>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-4-Mini-Hot-Shoe-Ball-Head-Flash-Bracket-Holder-Mount-for-Camera-Tripod-/311472349421?hash=item488532e0ed:g:xyAAAOSwAYtWLdbl

>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/210cm-Top-Light-Stand-Tripod-For-Photo-Studio-Lighting-Flash-Umbrella-Bracket-/281142368523?hash=item417564190b:g:SUgAAOxywFhTcYaZ
>>
>>53597000
Unfortunately I don't have the space for tripods and I think those hand support things will be pretty sturdy. But I think tripods will be fine as well, if you don't mind the foot print.
>>
>>53594737
this desu
the only chance VR has to get into the mainstream and not be a gimmick and a meme is with PSVR, mainly because its price isn't fucking retarded
Rift and Vive sure have better specs, but you also need a $1000+ PC to run it, and even though I do have a rig that meets the recommended specs for both, I'll be picking up a PSVR when it's out, Not risking over $600 on shit that may just crash and burn, and doesn't even have any decent games announced.
>>
>>53594520
The least shit one, still pure shit though.
>>
Fuck off back to /v/
>>
>>53597096
Yeah, I have plenty of space for the legs, my main issue is that my room is long but a little narrow with all the furniture.
Gonna have to remove some furniture to make room.

Space I have at the moment is 4.4m length, 1.5m width and 2.4m height. If I can remove some furniture I could manage 2.4m width and around 5m length.

5m x 5m would be amazing, I don't have that kind of space anywhere in the house sadly.
>>
>>53597096
I have the 3rd Hands.

They are sturdy, and recommended by Valve.
>>
>>53597232
Same here I have about 3 * 2.5 but I have to get rid of my couch and have to sit on the ground in the future :)
>>
>>53597115
Google Cardboard will have more of an impact on the general public than PSVR. Most people already have capable cellphones.
>>
>>53597317
Cardboard is a shitty experience though.

PSVR is a good experience.

Vive is a mindblowing experience.
>>
>>53597362
>Cardboard is a shitty experience though.
It's a gateway product. People are more likely to buy more expensive headsets after being introduced to what is possible.
>>
>>53597115
You are pissing your money away if you grab PSVR.
I'd sooner pass on VR than grab PSVR.

Just wait until there is a good bang for buck HMD that doesn't suck complete and utter ass with cheaper PC components or a stronger console. Even the higher end PC HMDs are barely acceptable.

From what I've read so far it seems the tracking on PSVR is horrid. The most worrying part however is the underpowered PS4 itself.

Do yourself a favor, don't waste your shekels.
>>
>>53597115
>I'll be picking up a PSVR when it's out
That's a good choice content-wise as well. I'm getting the Vive and upgrading my PC, but would be interested in trying out PSVR as well. Mind inviting me over so I can play some Rez?
>>
>>53597411
>Just wait until there is a good bang for buck HMD
How about Razer OSVR?
>>
>>53597424
How is that fairing in terms of content and support?
>>
>>53597461
Dunno, hence asking
>>
>>53597289
I need to get rid of 2 drawers and 2 desks somehow, would be great if I can replace my bed with something that I can fold for even more space.
>>
File: nMcTn1qyPPk.jpg (70 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
nMcTn1qyPPk.jpg
70 KB, 604x604
>>53596452
>thumbnail
you bring shame upon based mcnig
>>
>>53597411

I don't mind spending 400-500 for PSVR, mainly because I know what I'm getting with it, when they have announced games that I'm definitely interested in, like Ace Combat and Gran Turismo, when that's not the case with the other two options, and also because no HMD is 'officially' available in my country, so I'll need to import one of them, and with the PS4 being popular, I assume PSVR is going to be pretty easy to be found at decent prices, unlike the Vive and Oculus, which I'd mostly likely have to import myself. I do want to try the HMD first, but it can't be awful. Haven't read any major bad things about it.

VR tech is going to evolve really fast, and it's a lot easier to justify the PSVR price when you consider what they're offering than the other two more premium ones, which are most likely going to get outdated in a year, and then you need to buy yet another 600-800 device. I already waited a long time for VR, and Sony's offer seem to be perfect for what I'm looking for at the moment.
>>
>>53597544
There was talk of a newer version of the PS4 with a little more power for VR in the works. Perhaps hold on until that is out otherwise if you already own a PS4 then go for it.

Mind you, you will still have to pay for the PSeye and psmove unless they happen to bundle it in with the HMD.
>>
>>53594919
>-you can't play for too long because you'll be exhausted in no time

Yea, physical activities are scary :/
>>
>>53597613
Yeah. PSVR is being released on October, so if the new PS4 rumor is true, it's probably going to be announced on E3 in June, so there's is still plenty of time to make a decision. I already own a PS4, so that's why the offer is so appealing.

They've announced that bundles with the camera and Move controller are going to be available, though no prices have been revealed yet, but even if they're not, buying those cost around an extra $100, so it's not that bad.
>>
File: can_I_touch_this_waifu.jpg (72 KB, 704x463) Image search: [Google]
can_I_touch_this_waifu.jpg
72 KB, 704x463
>>53597524
So sorry, don't know how that could happen.
>>
Personally im still hype as fuck and cant wait for my rift to ship next month. Once it ships and that $700 leaves my account im probably going to preorder an omni from virtuix.

I'll admit im pretty disapointed that they didnt go full 1440p for cv1 but i do get that post people dont have the gpu for it at 90fps.
>>
>>53594520
I think the vive will be the best bet.
Sony's version could be good too if it's compatible with PC
>>
>>53594520
Screendoor effect photograph comparisons? I'm not fucking saying that they have screendoor effects. I just want a fucking picture of the screen. Can anyone please kindly upload a up close pic?
>>
File: 8.png (31 KB, 428x837) Image search: [Google]
8.png
31 KB, 428x837
>>53596452
I had the same exact setup for a while, it seemed like it would probably handle it. I upgraded to an i5 6600k around Christmas though, it runs much better now.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.