[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Infighting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
As if >>53450095 and >>53450786 were not enough, see:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3042397/microsoft-windows/admins-beware-domain-attached-pcs-are-sprouting-get-windows-10-ads.html

Hopefully this time the IT departments will take the message and plan a proper migration for the next corporate upgrade cycle. That is, one away from the Microsoft ecosystem.
>>
Yeah, good luck with that.

Most IT departments are staffed with loyal Microsoft pinheads who have only ever known Windows and are still deeply ingrained with the "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" mentality.

Also many companies still rely on old Win32 and .NET line-of-business applications that make it difficult to migrate away.

Also most cubicle drones are Windows home users who can hardly find their way around one OS environment, let alone a second one.
>>
>>53456851
>migrate away from microsoft

its almost like you have never worked a real job in your life!
>>
>>53457290
>its almost like you have never worked a real job in your life!
It's almost like you've been under a rock the last 5 years. There are plenty of companies that have removed their dependency on Windows. SMB and medium sized corporations will take a while because they can't afford to support multiple environments or migrate away from their shitty proprietary software, but it'll eventually happen. Larger enterprises are already supporting multiple environments.

I'm not even saying it will be GNU/Linux that will become popular - Android, OSX, ChromeOS are all valid candidates.
>>
>>53456851
to what exactly?
>>
>>53458106
BSD, GNU, Unix, ChromeOS, etc

Could even be a combination of different systems. I see hybrid multi seat strategies as a particularly interesting alternative backed by an internally hosted cloud like infrastructure.
>>
>>53458089
The admins should just install TempleOS.
It's probably the safest thing around.
>>
>>53458089

This guy is right. I know of a business that just last year upgraded to windows 7 from XP. If I were to bet I'd say they are working on being platform independent unless they want to deal with Windows. Industrial settings have also been pushed to migrate to Android or ios. Microsoft has fucked them over with WP7, businesses didn't migrate in force and then when they looked into doing so they were told WP7 apps wouldn't work in WP8, way to introduce a platform there MS.
>>
>>53458485
>I know of a business
woah, you must really have your hand on the pulse on the industry then
>>
>>53456851
>DOMAIN ATTACHED PCS GETTING ADS
L M A O
>>
>>53458895
Companies who are in the business of making things, shipping things and or selling things don't want Windows because it's shiny and everyone uses it at home, they want it because it runs their 20/30 year old software they use on a daily basis as well as office suites and email clients, add to that their employees surfing facebook/youtube/twitter. They don't give a shit about new software, they update because they don't want downtime and are afraid of shit like viruses. Not every company out there cares about what it can or can't do, they just want their shit to work. Try getting out more.
>>
>>53456851
>Migrate to linux
>Corperations
>MIGRATE TO LINUX

That kind of shit doesn't JUST HAPPEN, anon, Companies have a hard enough time moving to a new version of Windows (Windows XP is STILL on fucking life support, for fucks sake). Moving to Linux isn't likely to happen for many companies, at least not any time soon.
>>
>>53459287
This is not about migrating to Linux nor about doing it now. It is about bad faith and a warning to corporations against vendor lock in. By the way, having a hard time migrating away from legacy systems is actually an argument in favor of migration to another ecosystem, ease of migration would have been the one to remain with the same line, both being migrations regardless.
>>
>>53459440
And what about when they do switch to Linux? Can they be sure that their multi thousand dollar software suite will run in Wine and be 99% reliable with as little downtime as possible? Can they be completely sure that their obscure (and quite possibly ancient) and eclectic hardware, interface cards, what have you, will work in Linux without the company having to write its own drivers? The decision to switch platforms affects a lot more than just what OS you use for your computers. There is a lot to take into consideration, issues ranging from helpdesk support for (often computer illiterate) office folk to whether or not your thousand plus dollar interface card for your (robot, MRI machine, whatever) will even WORK in Linux.
>>
>>53459440

Thats something techies don't seem to understand, you can't just find a alternative pirate said alternative and use it. It has to be tested, previous data MAY have to be migrated to new system, you have to pull old system plug in order to avoid everyone using it instead of the new system, some people will avoid it entirely and stick to pen and paper, there is some real autism in corporations, add to that managing a lot of computers.
>>
>>53459572
To add to this:
I read a forum thread not too long ago by an IT guy at a hospital. The computer that ran their MRI machine died. It was an old PowerMac G4. Now, they couldn't just buy a new machine and install it because the software to run the MRI machine was PowerPC only, and the interface card was never made to work with a PC. So they had to source and refurbish a PowerMac G4 to avoid replacing a multi million dollar piece of hardware. Those are the kinds of issues I am talking about.
>>
>>53459572
>>53459634

What are you both even talking about? These systems are already running, why change them out of nowhere? When it is time to change, according to corporate needs, then they will have to take into account what Microsoft is doing now. By the way, the same argument works against a migration to Windows 10.
>>
>>53459703
OP is suggesting that companies migrate to Linux, I was pointing out that it's not as easy as he makes it sound.
>>
>>53459683
And there will be a time when this refurbished one will fail as well. They may get another one then, but not ad infinitum.

>>53459723
Where is Linux mentioned there?
>>
>>53459748
>That is, one away from the Microsoft ecosystem.

Pretty much implies Linux.
>>
>>53459770
>Implies.

No, that was about bad faith and the dangers of being tied to it.
>>
>>53459813
Either way, switching to another platform (whatever it may be, Linux, OSX, fucking Temple OS) is not a small undertaking and I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft's corperate customers didn't convince them to extend support for Windows 7.
>>
>>53459851
They probably will, but even win 7 will not last forever. And even then, for many cases, win 7 is already a disrupting upgrade.
>>
>>53456851
I hate to use the term trending data, but here's what I tend to see.

Small startups are heavily relying on the BYOD model, even with laptops and PC's. AWS is usually providing the hosting for their app. There is no real infrastructure and everything is cloud based.

Midsize and non-profit are torn. The non-profit tends to lean toward Microsoft, because of things like Tech Soup (in the US anyway), and places that provide computers for the general public are split about 60/40 Windows / Linux, with the thinking being that it takes more work to fuck up a Linux desktop.

Mid-size business are migrating the LoB apps from VB and XP (Thank fucking $Diety) but still use Windows for AD and a few other things. Often, these are mixed environments (Windows / other)

Enterprise is trying to follow suite, but there isn't a whole lot to replace Active Directory, especially at scale. Exchange is also a big part of that equation. Webapp's that aren't specific to .net / IIS / etc are easy enough, but things like TFS, SharePoint, etc, require some hard discussions.

Some estimate that 90% of business with more than 500 seats use Active Directory.

As for the OP. I can confirm that Microsoft is now pushing KB3035583 to domain attached systems. The workaround for this is WSUS. Not a huge deal, as it's part of Windows, and configured with a few group policies, but it's still a pain in the ass.

I don't personally have an issue with Windows 10. Some of my GPO templates don't like it, and I'm going to wait until my Server 2016 migration to find out why.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.