[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Year of the Linux deskktop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: masterascii.jpg (225 KB, 900x638) Image search: [Google]
masterascii.jpg
225 KB, 900x638
We talk a lot on how can we have a year of the Linux desktop around here but Microsoft pushes his propaganda everywhere, something we don't because being a community we get trolls cutting motivation But in if we don't put effort to promote Linux.

You probably seem the teens react to windows 95 video, but instead of complaining let's think, this can be our chance. If we insist enough to petition the Fine brothers to talk about modern Linux, and easy distros like [KLX]ubuntu, the fact that is community powered, riceable (yes even that), and more friendly to our privacy and freedoms, we might have a chance.

Let's petition the Fine Brothers to make this possible, let's show them our community and start posting comments on their videos insisting on showing what our community has to offer.

Think about it, in the mean time have an ascii I made myself for the ocassion. You'll see a lot of hacker culture references on the ascii, have fun finding them all!
http://pastebin.com/4VNGLnz6
>>
>>53385026
>put effort to promote Linux.

Here's where I disagree with you. We don't need to promote Linux. Or a distro. Or any operating system at all. There is no reason to promote change to someone who has a system that works fine for them.
If they are fed up with the botnet, or the UI items, or shitty programs, or <insert X feature that linux arguably does better than windows>, they will look for an alternative themselves.

The fact that I am very content with the speed of navigating WM, very little mouse use and the pro's that come with CLI programs, I do not feel any incentive to convince anyone near my to ditch windows: they will probably have a very unpleasant experience anyway. I do not *need* to teach them to "change their mindset" or whatever just because I think someday they will understand and be grateful for it.

That said, OS/distro/"kernel" wars are what is killing /g/ and "year of the linux desktop" is one of the phrases you know damn well triggers this shit.
>>
File: fuck-microsoft-and-run-linux.png (46 KB, 650x700) Image search: [Google]
fuck-microsoft-and-run-linux.png
46 KB, 650x700
>>53385158
>We don't need to promote Linux
Here is where I know you are a Microsoft telemarketer.
>>
>>53385191
OK, kid
>>
>>53385294
5 rupees have been deposited in your account, now fuck off Pajeet.
>>
>>53385026
Know what.

It just so happens that all the people who seem interesting to me happen run linux when I ask them what they run.

Ever heard of that buttmad crazy theory that says that only a small group of people have free will, and the rest of the people are just drones? It almost seems like everone who'd have free will according to that theory are running linux.

I don't need a year for linux desktop.
>>
File: 1457202817262.jpg (140 KB, 1600x1236) Image search: [Google]
1457202817262.jpg
140 KB, 1600x1236
>>53385574
>>
>>53385158
>>53385574

People will look for conformity and are rarely prone to change on their own

I know linux users have all teh programs they need and if you don't know how to do shit you are a moron or should just compile source or go back to windows or whatever

But imagine all the possibilities and the support you'd have from hardware vendors to software developers. There would be tonnes of more open source and also ofc closed source programs. It would be beneficial to everyone including the poweruser
If only linux had fucking %10 market share like mac instead of %1 like it is now.
>>
>>53385026
Did someone say...
LINUX?

INSTALL GENTOO
>>
>>53385782
Windows user detected
>>
>>53385782
Yes anon, and I put that on a floppy disk ;)
>>
File: haxormeme1.png (437 KB, 589x407) Image search: [Google]
haxormeme1.png
437 KB, 589x407
what is the best linux to run on a flash drive?

My goal is to put a virtual machine with linux and tor on it but ive been running into issues
>>
>>53386189
>what is the best linux to run on a flash drive?
I don't know anon, you tell me.
Also, try QubesOS.
>>
>>53385026
The only way you can "promote" the platform for mainstream desktop use is to convince OEMs that it's a viable option for shipping with their systems over Windows, which it isn't. GNU/Linux brings nothing new to the table for the consumer desktop market and a majority of the enterprise desktop market, and people who want to use the platform are already using it anyway, just be content with it and get the fuck over yourself.
>>
Damn. Makes me want to install thedraw again.
>>
>>53387858
I think it is a viable option for shipping with prebuilt systems, it's just that normies aren't used to it. Remember that girl that got on the news and bitched about how she couldn't attend uni because her laptop came with ubuntu preinstalled on it? Prebuilt systems would be a lot cheaper if they didn't come preinstalled with the windows botnet but people are just used to windows and can't be bothered learning a new system so OEMs don't really bother with linux.

>>53385026
The fine bros are jewish cancer.
>>
>>53387858
You are either lying or don't know about easy setups because we have things like Ubuntu which are beyond usability for many thing like multimedia.
>>53387910
I know.
>>53387981
I believe Lubuntu is more than friendly, is even more friendly than say, Windows Vista. Anyway you are right about Linux being cheaper.

>The fine bros are jewish cancer.
Never mind their background, they do use trendy technology in their videos and knowing how passionate the online Linux community is we have a chance with them, that is what we should care anon.
>>
>>53388208
The teens who react would probably just roast linux because they're used to the windows paradigm and have a room temperature IQ. The linux paradigm is more efficient but it does take a bit of getting used to if you're a life long windows user. I really do care about promoting linux, this just isn't the way to do it...
>>
>>53387981
>Prebuilt systems would be a lot cheaper if they didn't come preinstalled with the windows
$100-$200 for an entry level system isn't cheap enough already? Microsoft negotiates bulk licenses with OEMs for next to jack shit and gives them other favorable treatment, plus using Windows allows them more software bundling opportunities to hike up the profit even further.

>>53388208
>You are either lying or don't know about easy setups because we have things like Ubuntu which are beyond usability for many thing like multimedia.
I never said anything about "usability", GNU/Linux, like any other evolved mainstream operating system, is very usable, I said "viability", as in nobody will want it no matter how "usable" it is. The advantages of the GNU/Linux platform over Windows NT are marginal at best for the average "normie" bogeyman consumer use case, who doesn't really mind having to take their shitbox into the shop every once and a while to clean some adware off of it or have a crash once in a blue moon, it's just the way it is to them, and they just want it to run the software they want to run, and for it to work to their expectations.

Let's also not forget that the "mainstream" consumer market is conditioned to associate GNU/Linux with the bottom of the barrel garbage it typically comes bundled with, that's not going to help them out either.
>>
>>53388437
I think about the geeks out there who still don't know Linux. With luck they might present one of the easy distros out there and we end up with people trying out Linux by curiosity.

On the OS first timer channel the guy's mother had good reviews and explains why some Linuxes suck for the user and others don't. In some she even liked more than Windows.
>>
>>53388526
What you say there is a matter of exposure anon. We end up with the same chicken or the egg paradox. How can we have more users if they know nothing about Linux in first place?
>>
>>53388613
Maybe, but even with proper exposure it's simply not worth the effort of changing over for what most consider a sub-par platform for what they want in the first place.

Maybe if Canonical really got their ass in gear and could push Ubuntu into the enterprise enough to catch the attention of proprietary software developers (or spur more interest in free software counterparts) they might be able to make some inroads enough to remove the stigma.
>>
>>53388799
>not worth the effort
What? That is Linux, a community project. We put the effort voluntarily, and it's worth it.
>>
>>53388890
We're not talking about the "community" or anything they are doing, we're talking about all the Windows users you think would switch over if "someone just talked to them about it"
>>
>>53388988
We won't know until we try. Think like Nike, "just do it".
>>
>>53385026
i dont want more people knowing about it, because i dont want people capitalizing on the userbase. proprietary programs should stay on windows, open source should remain on linux/bsd. i dont want another mac os tier situation
>>
>>53389246
I struggle to see how more users is going to make Linux worse. You aren't going to have to install any of the proprietary programs that get ported, and you don't have to deal with the idiots directly. Hell, you could move to a more obscure distro if it really bothers you.
>>
>>53389021
Do you really think nobody has ever tried to kill Windows before?

People don't fix what isn't broken. If the advantages of the platform were truly significant to mainstream consumers then OS X would have overtaken all but the extreme low-end long ago.
>>
I don't want the year of the linux desktop because I don't want the year of the linux desktop userbase and all the crapware they enable with their pleb-tier demands. Keep them on windows and OS X.

Or, say, android, which is "Linux", but not the GNU-MIT-freedesktop-linux abomination most people refer to as simply "Linux". Android is a good example of what happens when you bring the normie consumers to an operating system, and develop that operating system with your majority base (normies) in mind while putting nerds like us in second place.

>>53389310
It is illegal to use OS X on anything but a mac. Apple won't sue for a few nerds, but if people started installing it everywhere they might add copy protection and start suing to protect their primary business (shitty hardware).
>>
>>53389307
more enterprise users made linux worse by demanding software single users didn't give a fuck about (systemd+logind, pulse) that fucked shit up for single user systems regardless. distros, being distros that eat everything and shit out a cohesive system instead of a slapped together base+apps OS, forced shit on everyone instead of forking all the enterprise-related suites like GNOME (literally a redhat endeavor) to work without it.

now, what happens when normies show up? their demands bring software that's good for them, but not for enterprise users or competent single users, and that creates dependency hell. linux, as it already is, is basically split between ENTERPRISE quality distros and hobbyist shit at this point. the fragmentation will only get worse.

we'll have three, maybe four programs to function as the main windowing system (or countless if you count wayland as a mere protocol for the millions of highly divergent compositors it's already spawning), even more fucking UI toolkits as proprietary fucks get into the GUI wars, most likely another fucking init, a fourth audio system, more package managers, and god knows what else

OSes can't please everyone at the same time

"Linux" the OS will die. it'll just be a shared kernel for many largely incompatible operating systems, and you'll be stuck on a shitty distro maintained by 15 neckbeards because the best maintained one is for norps, basically windows with a nicer kernel.
>>
>>53385026
NO! Don't be a fucking idiot, the year of the linux desktop is NOT what we want. Imagine if every normie were using Linux.
Kind of ruins Linux, no? Bringing more stupid proprietary shitware, turning linux into one or two popular distros that JUST WERK LOL DUDE :P XD SO COOL!!!
>>
people who don't want free software to dominate no matter what the cost or don't care about freedom as defined by the FSF are microsoft shills
>>
>>53385026
why did you make a weird version of Skinwalker's issue file?
>>
>>53385026
Year of the linux desktop = [CURRENT YEAR + ONE]
>>
>>53387273
>try QubesOS.
Better have a fuckton of RAM on hand.
>>
>>53389831
how do you get those OS 9 min/max/close buttons?
>>
>>53389953
I made them, (along with 30+ other Platinum-esque icons that didn't have originals)

https://github.com/JohnDDuncanIII/Platinum
>>
>>53389953
By replacing the right pictures in the correct .car file using the proper program and then feeling bad for copying john
>>
>>53389731
If you don't want to use that "enterprise bullshit", there are plenty of distros that have stuck with the textfiles & small programs philosophy.

The developers and experienced users aren't going to go away, and programs written with them in mind are going to have just the same size userbase as they do now. Why would you assume that people would stop trying to meet their own needs?

>we'll have three, maybe four programs to function as the main windowing system
>even more fucking UI toolkits as proprietary fucks get into the GUI wars
>most likely another fucking init, a fourth audio system, more package managers, and god knows what else
And the flexible and adaptable software will live on through that. The entire point of "the bazaar" is that you don't NEED a central planner or a barrier to entry to demand quality, people will write programs that meet their needs and adopt programs they think are good.

>>53389768
>Kind of ruins Linux, no?
Only if you only value Linux as an exclusive club.

>Bringing more stupid proprietary shitware
Don't use it. You'll have plenty of company.

>turning linux into one or two popular distros that JUST WERK LOL DUDE :P XD SO COOL!!!
Why do you think the other distros will disappear? We ALREADY have distros focused on non-technical users, and they aren't coming close to replacing the more technically-focused distros.

>>53389905
Everything about "The year of the Linux desktop" is silly.
There's not going to be a single magic moment were everything comes right just because we wised for it. Linux adoption is going to be a long. slow, hard fight; and right now we're still in the EASY part of it.
>>
>>53390012
the developers are few and they run into problems they don't have time to solve, so the user has to do it themselves. capable or not, it's spent time. hobbyist linux is going to go the way of BSD if the linux desktop approaches any further.

the pseudo-bazaar, i guess you could call it more of a clan than a cathedral, was linux's major advantage over other unices where users had a ports system to learn, selection of ports that they had to compile, maybe in the correct order, maybe not and then a bunch of other software that needed ported or made entirely by hand. like-minded users took care of all of that system building for you. if there aren't enough of those like minded users to keep up with a growing amount of software and to provide enough alternative perspectives on it, the BSD way will become more and more pervasive.
>>
>>53385026
The point of a desktop is to run programs why would i want to use linux where I don't have access to my favorite programs and the alternatives are either very poorly constructed or non existent.
>>
>>53390123
The point of a computer is to do math and do it fast so why would I want to install an OS on my computer that's one of the slowest at doing a lot of math
>>
>>53385026
>>53389831
What am I looking at here?
>>
>>53390204
shell escape sequences
just run `cat filename` on the files..
https://github.com/DaisukeAramaki/Dotfiles/blob/master/issue
>>
>>53390204
tryahrds
>>
Linux has no Photoshop, I can't install my .exe games on Linux, so it sucks in many ways.
>>
>>53390200
so you just have your computer run arbitrary computations ? sounds like an awesome time.
>>
>>53390012
this, the other comments are just moronic
>>
>>53390221
Ah so it's a login banner. Though it might be some kind of ascii game. Saw an animated version in a desktop thread once...
>>
>>53390443
that was a lua script made by hal iirc
>>
linux doesnt work with my gaming wireless mouse and keyboard
>>
>>53390586
>>
File: TRS-80 Model 4P.jpg (33 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
TRS-80 Model 4P.jpg
33 KB, 500x380
>>53385756
If you get market share, it will just corrupt everything. That's what happens when things get heavily commercialized.
Anyway, open source is not enough. There is now a lot of complexity in hardware and it's hard to write drivers, you have situations where even very talented people like Terry Davis can't get his OS to run properly on all systems, even though his OS is fairly small and simple. It is btw the same problem that plagues other small projects like Minix and Plan9/Inferno. Even *bsd to some extent.
And anyway there is now a great danger from bad, buggy firmware. It's already shown exploitable by the memory sinkhole bug (from recent blackhat conference), and also cases where Kaspersky found malware inside HDD firmware. Of course there was the USB key situation also, where a memory stick can pretend to be a keyboard and attack your machine. Problably lots of other unknown stuff, maybe right now out there in the wild.
Anyway, it's important to get some control back on the hardware & firmware layers. Otherwise you're building on a shaky foundation. This guy makes a good case:
http://www.loper-os.org/?p=55
>>
>>53385026
2004 called, they want their FOSS propaganda back
>>
>>53385026
no, we don't need to promote linux
more people -> more fucking retards shitting up forums and mailing lists (like what has been happening on debian security for the past few weeks)
this larger marketshare results in more people bitching about their hardware incompatibilities because of some cheap walmart-purchased POS which has proprietary drivers for everything, or retards who fall for sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda and complain literally everywhere about how shit linux is
>>
File: windows.png (546 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
windows.png
546 KB, 720x720
>skim the comments
>some are good
>some are Microsoft shills whining
Fuck off.
>>
>>53388564
Yeah I know what you mean... I have a mate that just started an IT course at uni and I've suggested to him that he should install ubuntu on his ancient laptop because having knowledge of linux would give him a significant advantage in the industry but lots of other people have already brainwashed him into thinking that linux is some kind of "cyber wizardry" that only geniuses can understand so he doesn't really care to try it.

>>53389021
This "just do it" mentality is the mindset that microsoft had when they got OEMs to preinstall windows onto prebuilt systems for a fee. This is the only reason they are successful today. If the linux community had the same mentality back then, things would be a lot different.

>>53389768
Even now without proprietary software vendors catering for linux, there are still "free as in freedom" solutions that you can choose to use. This is the main reason why proprietary vendors don't cater to linux, people would simply choose the free alternative so they cater to windows users instead.
>>
>>53386189
>what is the best linux to run on a flash drive?
Knoppix if it is still around

>virtual machine
I don't understand the use case here. A VM on top of the Linux running off the flash drive?

>tor
should work on Knoppix
>>
File: lol (3).jpg (62 KB, 1900x1200) Image search: [Google]
lol (3).jpg
62 KB, 1900x1200
>>53385026
preferred linux RDP client?
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.