[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning basics of pentesting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
I want learn the basics of penetration testing, and I got only a month to do so if I will go with it. I'm basically trying to get a job at either ESET or CITADELO.

What materials or online lectures (preferably free, don't have much money to spend) I should check out? I also have paid Lynda.com subscription.
>>
I think your thread image is a good place to start.
>>
>>55640590
How much computer experience do you have?
>>
>>55641923
1 year worth of L3 sysadmin experience
>>
>>55641936
Do you know how to make a virtual machine?
>>
>>55641936
Actually, you better have or you wouldn't be there. What can you program, script wise?
>>
File: 14235bde04718ac9fe5515112e1c8f.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
14235bde04718ac9fe5515112e1c8f.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>>55642008
Just basic bash scripts
Never had to write my own scripts so I did not bother learning any scripting languages other than basic bash
>>
>>55642060
I don't think you'll be able to get into Citadelo with just a month's experience of pentesting, but you might have a shot with Eset. Pentesting job interviews are based on knowledge, laws, and most importantly, the ability to do it. I've been studying it for a little over a year and still can't do it, I just know the process, but it's possible if you're seriously L3. Learn scripting, and most importantly system scripting like powershell and bash. They're important for creating backdoors later. Also, learn scripting in general like python to automate repetitive system searches. You need to learn reverse engineering, to find your own exploits (skiddie tools like from Kali are practically useless today unless you modify them). Also, if you aren't yet, get used to scanning with Nmap and memorize port numbers. The hardest part of it is the transition from scanning to actual exploitation, and finding a loophole. Try learning and practicing buffer overflows, they're still pretty common. Good luck OP
>>
>>55642141
ESET also has some stuff for students, and seeing as I'm one, I'll try to apply for that at least

Thanks, it's worth a shot to at least try to apply for a job at ESET. I might do that tomorrow seeing as I will be near the main building today
>>
>>55642646
Actually, you could learn it in a month if you just use Kali Linux tools on a weak computer. You'll need to learn how they work the way they do, but it could land you a job. Most companies want pentesters even if they only use mainstream scripts, because they want to keep their company secure from script kiddies. A serious hacker would find a way, but they don't want to be DDoSed constantly (look into smurf attacks and SYN flood attacks if you want to know how that works)
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.