[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I want to learn about networking. I can set up a Linux server,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: ccna-.png (6 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
ccna-.png
6 KB, 512x512
So I want to learn about networking. I can set up a Linux server, I can program web applications in Java and C#, but I couldn't tell you what a subnet is or what 192.168.1.0/24 means or the difference between IPv4 and 6, the different networking layers (link layer, etc.), what a switch is, you get the picture. I do not want to do networking for a career - I already have a good career, but every time a networking related issue or question comes up I feel like an idiot.

Is taking a free CCNA course a good idea, or will I only learn how Cisco networking works? I'm not going for the cert, just for the knowledge. Could someone recommend me good free text-based (no video) online courses, either CCNA or networking in general?
>>
B-bump
>>
I took that course in uni. It was basically a giant cisco advertisement disguised as knowledge. You learn some pretty basic stuff and then learn how to apply it on Cisco routers and switches.
If you want to learn networking there must be better ways. If you want a cert to land a job then go with the CCNA
>>
a bunch of material for the cisco certs are general networking knowledge. Lammle's texts are a fine place to start, but i'd also get the program GNS3, some pirated router images and fuck around till it clicks.
>>
as a place to start, if you have a ton of ram you could also spin up hella virtual machines and network em up in various ways
>>
I should clarify that I don't necessarily want to be able to set up networks and whatnot. I want to understand how they work and the terminology, etc. Maybe you need to practice doing it to understand it, idk, but I want to be able to talk about it and understand it so I can apply that knowledge to other areas, primarily network/server security.
>>
>>55639953
Pirate the ebook:
"Networking: A top down approach"

Else free video course: Cybrary.it
>>
>>55639953
If you have good time management and study habits then yes CCNA is completely worthwhile. It's definitely some work, but it's a respected cert and most of the knowledge transfers to other platforms.
>>
>>55639953
I would guarantee you that if you spend the time to actually learn all the CCNA information, you are 100% going to want to spend the $200 to take the test and get the cert.
>>
>>55640580
>>55640674
Agree with these. I landed a 70k /year job with my CCNA alone and 0 networking experience. I'm really smart though and i'm in a good area so keep that in mind.
>>
>>55639953
Look the Cybrary.it website, they have good tutorials for some subjects (notice the "some").

Their videos on Network+ will cover everything you mention in your OP, and much more.

There are like hundreds of those videos, only for Network+, and they all last around 5-15 mins.
>>
>>55639953
You are looking for the basics, I get that. And you don't want to take the test. Got that as well. This book will get you the basics:
http://www.ciscopress.com/store/ccent-ccna-icnd1-100-105-official-cert-guide-9781587205804
>>
>>55639953
To build a networked application you don't need to mess with any of the lower layer stuff. Just sockets and nat if you want to leave your LAN. Also I took the Cisco courses at my local community college. I saw a lot of people not get a lot because they skimmed and cheated on the tests. If you take it seriously you can git gud. It's work but as long as you're interested its helpful. If you're lazy avoid any free online course they often skim important stuff. Also real instructors can give you real skills not just regular book learning. Also subbneting can be done easily when you know it, or just use a calculator. Also internships are super important. Passing a Cisco course is easy but actually understanding what the networking means model is tough
>>
Just read the Brocade IP Primer and save your money. It's free: http://community.brocade.com/t5/Ethernet-Switches-Routers/Brocade-IP-Primer-eBook-Download-Now/ta-p/2905

Assuming you're a programmer, there's no need for you to go deep into networking or the CCNA track.
>>
>>55639953
Also you can always audit a class
>>
>>55640714
>I'm really smart though.
>>
>>55641502
nothin' personnel, kid.
>>
>>55640580
I'm about to get my CCENT after self study and I haven't had a job in years. Will this be enough to get me a job?
>>
>>55643684
>a job
probably if you're very persistent
>a good job
unlikely
>>
>>55643684
maybe a noc contractor
>>
>>55643684
Depends on where you live.
If you live in a pretty big city/state, probably not. But around smaller states/towns with more people leaning towards other fields, it shows you have the basics to networking and are willing to learn. Also, you're their only choice.
>>
If you're in it to learn, Network+ from Comptia or the Cisco CCENT are a lot easier. They are more beginner to mid level certs.

The actual full CCNA cert will take a good deal of studying and lab.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.