[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting into C/C++ as my first language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
So, I want to get into programming and I've been thinking about learning C or C++ as my first language. Is this a good idea or should I start with something else?
Also, what text editor/IDE would you recommend? I've heard a lot about Vim and Emacs here but I find them really hard to setup with specific programming languages.
>>
Start with the Scheme.
>>
>>55639541
(((Scheme))) is an inferior knock off of a goy's language.
>>
fuck off nerd
>>
>>55639448
vim with youcompleteme is decent. Use gdb and valgrind for debugging.
If you're on windows just use visual studio, it's pretty comfy.
>>
It depends on why you're learning. Stating low is good for learning how everyone works but don't expect to make anything useful for a long time.
>>
>>55639448
> Is this a good idea or should I start with something else?

Start with FiM++
It's the most advanced basic language there is.
>>
>>55639659
>depends on why you're learning
This. But the rule of thumb is that you can't go wrong with C as your first language.
>>
I'm in the process of studying through "programming principles and practice" after completing "jumping into c++" and deeming it too basic/incomplete. Been doing some programming on and off for a year.
Wish i picked up python3 first, knowing a script making capable language is something i would like. Also its easier to do all sorts of utility programs which automate alot of the stuff for you. C++ can also do that, but with much much more effort.
>>
>>55639448
Very good choice! I would recomend Visual Studio or CodeBlocks if you use linux (visual studio is times better than c::b)
>>
>>55639448
If you want to start out with C as your first language, I strongly recommend doing Harvard's CS50x MOOC through edx. It uses a preconfigured linux vm so you don't need to worry about setting up and troubleshooting your environment, and it comes with a library adding a layer of abstraction over pointers until the course gets to memory management.
>>
>>55641534
Do you really learn C with that MOOC? or it's just a tool to your purposes and it's given without depth.
>>
>>55642024
I don't really know what you mean by "really learn", but you have to complete fairly challenging projects in C, and you will need to figure out how to use gdb and valgrind to complete the later ones. The most complicated project is implementing a spellchecker backed by a data structure (hash table or trie) if that answers your question.

A course that goes anymore in depth would either be covering data structures or low level programming, both of which require practical experience with memory management and debugging utilities, and have less to do with the language than CS in general
>>
>>55639448
If you want to use a non terminal based text editor, Atom is a great choice. You can install packages and themes to make it suite your needs and its open source as well if that means anything to you.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.