[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, where's a good place to start if you want to learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: doomsdaymachine.jpg (164 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
doomsdaymachine.jpg
164 KB, 1024x819
Hey /g/, where's a good place to start if you want to learn how electronics,(more specifically computers, phones and so on) really work?

I just want to understand the basics of software and hardware, how operative systems work, understanding how a motherboard works etc. Any recommended books, educational websites?

I'm a dumbass, don't shoot me.
>>
File: pcb.jpg (113 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
pcb.jpg
113 KB, 1000x750
I didn't really get interested in that facet of it until I took a some digital logic and microprocessors courses with assembly/C at university. Wish I had some better suggestions.

Whatever people give you, I found it was pretty fun playing with emulators of early computers like the DEC PDP-8 that took you really up close and personal to the bare metal in a more interactive way.

There's also tons of simple real hardware you can mess around with to show you the basics of how a CPU really works, I've wanted to play with this one:
http://www.webalice.it/giussdp/cpu1bit/

This is all simple hardware-level stuff, but it will probably make learning about the basics of an operating system and the like a little easier and interesting.
>>
File: images.jpg (31 KB, 607x902) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
31 KB, 607x902
>>55636034
You want this: https://www.amazon.com/Code-Language-Computer-Hardware-Software/dp/0735611319
>>
>>55636034
>Hey /g/, where's a good place to start if you want to learn how electronics,(more specifically computers, phones and so on) really work?
Wikipedia is one of the best resources, honestly.

t. self-taught
>>
>>55636560
>https://www.amazon.com/Code-Language-Computer-Hardware-Software/dp/0735611319

I'll check that out, thanks.

>>55636564

Yeah I know, but it's nice to read books where you have a slow progressing curve with the material as opposed to digging through wiki articles not really knowing where to start.
>>
>>55636743
Yeah, good point. I can only learn as much from wikipedia as I do since I have a large knowledgebase of terms and concepts to fall back on and relate new concepts to.

If I had to single out a method that was instrumental in my learning (at a young age), it would be online tutorials. Usually of the shitty kind. But you gotta start somewhere.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Digital-Design-Comprehensive-Architecture/dp/0071737707

This is a great introduction for the hobbyist. Check out the table of contents under Look Inside and you'll see everything from 8 bit basics to signaling to voltage regulation and modern techniques like super pipelines.
>>
Look up nand2tetris. It takes you from the nand logical gate up to "building your
computer.

Our teacher had us do it back in highschool. It was pretty fun. We drew the schematics on logism and coded everything on the hardware simulators.

The site says they even have a coursera out too
>>
>>55637623

that looks pretty cool
>>
I go to second hand book stores to buy the older college books, then to ebay for some bread boards and cheep components to mess about with.

building simple circuits for amplifiers or whatever.

Good place to start.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.