[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to get a job from self-learning to program and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: Choices 1.jpg (99 KB, 640x510) Image search: [Google]
Choices 1.jpg
99 KB, 640x510
Is it possible to get a job from self-learning to program and having no degree? Anything, just like a $30,000 per year kind of job? How long would it take? Or is it a fucking pipe-dream? I just want to make enough to live my own fucking studio apartment and eat.
>>
>>55632810
Where do you live?
>>
>>55632810
If you have either of those/or all,

A. You have connections or friends
B. You have an amazing portfolio of projects, e.g good contributions to good open source projects, you worked on
C. You created something """groundbreaking""" or managed to publish something that gathered attention in the CS world

you might have a chance.

Otherwise you will very likely fall through filters very early and very likely not even get a interview at any decent company.

Outside of maybe making websites on a 100$ per website basis if you live in a very rural area.
>>
>>55635269
Nice try to stop people from going into your field.
>>
>>55635269
I agree with this. "B" is the easiest for shitty autists like us.

>butbutbut I can't spend literally thousands of hours working on foss projects for my portfolio just to get hired

Consider that people who complete a four year long bachelor's degree in CS will typically have spent a bit over 5000 hours studying and programming coursework.

Even assuming that college is a bullshit pyramid meme, 5000 hours of practice makes a big difference.

Why should anyone hire you on your word that you're really good, without a way to prove that you've ever actually written something besides project Euler?
>>
>>55636208
funny because in my experience most people fuck up on interviews being unable to to project euler problems
>>
>>55636489
Yes, but you wouldn't get an interview if you have no experience, no education, no portfolio and no connections.
>>
if you look around and try to bypass hr when applying, maybe. almost everyone you're competing with will have a degree and likely a small portfolio as well as some experience.
>>
>>55632810
give up. kill yourself.

not even joking.
>>
>>55632810
as long as you don't mind java or php
>>
>>55637357
>bypass hr when applying
what does that mean
>>
>>55632810
If you're an attractive woman, sure
>>
How do so many people without a degree get jobs in this industry then? Have you heard about Codecamp and similar sites, huh?
>>
>>55637444

Not the OP but it's possible to bypass HR via LinkedIn, just shamelessly ask for job interviews but do not ask to retarded people who know fuckall about your technical area, ask people who are experienced enough to know that formal degree is nothing but a label, this comes from someone who has both EE and CE formal degree.
>>
If youre only shooting for 30k then break into general IT / help desk 1. Much easier to break in and you should make around that much or more depending
>>
It's very unlikely. However you can become self-employed and even sell your own apps/programs/vydias but you have to become very 1337 in whatever program you aim to master. You can't be that hack who puts together a barely working program that runs on a thread from copying and pastings code without knowing what it even does.
>>
>>55632810
Definitely possible. Don't know where people ITT live, but where I am (Canada), a good portfolio can get set you above many graduates. In fact, many graduates don't have any portfolios.
>>
>>55638973
I've been thinking about going to Canada, I have an okay-ish portfolio. Pollack national though, think they'll they bat an eye on that?
>>
>>55639011
No idea. Honestly I don't understand why it would be different in the US (which I assume most people here are in).

If your resume is your only outreach into a business, and it's been looked at by someone who just looks for keywords, then yeah, it will probably get dumped. But if it's a smaller place, where you have a chance to get a better contact, over the phone or something, you defintely have a chance.
>>
>>55637444

it means you need to go to conferences and use social networking websites to go straight to employees of the company. you network, you show off your skills and when one of the employees recognizes your skill level they can help you go around the initial hr resume processing.

you better have real skill.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.