[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
… or what else?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: skype.png (4 KB, 117x57) Image search: [Google]
skype.png
4 KB, 117x57
Will skype ever be good again (that is in regards to being useful and working, ignoring the botnet parts of it) or work on modern linux?

On the one hand, I think the current skype alpha app for linux is a bad sign (its just fuckin chrome, with a hardcoded link to web skype, that doesnt even do video calling, the thing skype was fuckin made for), but then on the other hand, its a good sign (if they get it to work, I can simply use web skype, without having to install the botnet on my machine), but as of now, its utterly useless.

What about some alternatives? does /g/ use linphone? It seems like an interesting FOSS alternative, but is it as normie proof as skype? Can I simply install it, make an account and call other people that did the same? Or do I need to host my own server for it?

Simply go to another botnet, and use google hangouts? supposedly, that works on linux. And didnt facebook implement some video chat too?

And what about firefox hello? Wasnt that also supposed to do video calling? But nowadays, that seems to be made to share my browser screen? WTF? Who needs that?
>>
What's wrong with it on Linux? Just use an older version
>>
>>55632051
>older version
There is no older version, there is only one version from the neolithic, which requires shitting up your machine with all kinds of arcane 32bit shit, to get it working with about half the features it should have.
>>
>>55631346
I use vector.im
>>
>>55631346
It was never good. Consumes way too much data. Just use Facebook, really. It's great and will work even if the person you're chatting with has shit connection. You don't even have to install anything, just use the browser.
>>
>>55632369
>Just use Facebook, really. I
Does it also do video calling? On linux? Because last time I tried, it did not work.
>>
>>55631346
>Will skype ever be good again
No

>or work on modern linux?
It still works on modern Linux just fine.
>>
>>55632074
I currently have 4.3.0.37 installed (through my package manager) and it works just fine for me
>>
>>55632412
It should work. You need to connect a camera and microphone for it to even allow you to make a video call.
>>
>>55632481
> You need to connect a camera and microphone
Theres still macbooks that do not have those built in?

>…

I guess I gotta try to dig out my fakebook account again, and find some "friend" willing to test it out.

I guess if a friendless Anon N. Fakenstein chats with Nymus L. Notaname on facebook, thats just as bad or good as any other "modern" form of communication.
>>
>>55632574
>macbooks
There are still people who use this meme?
>>
Couldn't even install that fucking Linux alpha in Ubuntu because it was so badly done
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.