[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I turn off my modem at night?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
>>
>>55631321
bump
>>
>>55631321

Yes, most modems have a wifi network on them (e.g. Comcast modems produce XfinityWifi hotspots) so all you're doing is giving other people internet for free by leaving it on when you're not using it.
>>
>>55631338
I read one anon say that frequently turning a modem on and off shortens it's life span
>>
>>55631367
This can be true but it means nothing if you don't have a fair idea what the expected life of your modem is. If the modem's life exceeds the technology's life it doesn't matter.
>>
>>55631321
No. They're designed to be on 24/7.
>>
It's a waste of an established sync and sometimes a gamble at negotiating an equally good one at the next power-up.

You're free to turn off your router's Wi-Fi at night time, though. Preferably through an OS that allows you to do so on a schedule and the option to defer turning off until the last WLAN client disconnects.
>>
>>55631367
Turning anything on and off shortens its lifespan.
>>55631321
I just turn off the wifi, it's good for sleep.
>>
File: Linksys-Wireless-G-Router.jpg (2 MB, 2800x2400) Image search: [Google]
Linksys-Wireless-G-Router.jpg
2 MB, 2800x2400
>>55631460
>>55631468
>>55631518
My old modem used to overheat frequently and the only way to fix that was to give it cool-off periods.

My new one works for long amounts of time, but I just don't want this one starting to develop overheating issues too
>>
Do it so that your neighbor can't hack your WiFi while you sleep
>>
>>55631608
i live in the ghetto. nobody is smart enough to hack my WiFi
>>
>>55631321
Yes. You don't want to be irradiated by the microwaves it produces while you sleep, do you?
>>
File: lol.png (297 KB, 358x480) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
297 KB, 358x480
>>55631599
I solved that problem.
>>
>>55631701
>>55631672
my current router is in the cold attic now. it's naturally chilled now
>>
>>55631663
So what? You're in the ghetto but would hack my WiFi if I were your neighbor.

Illusion of security is worse than no security at all.
>>
>>55631663
What makes you think that you are the only tech literate hood nigga there?You yourself are an example that a /g/ browser from the projects exist.
>>
>>55631518
>It's a waste of an established sync and sometimes a gamble at negotiating an equally good one at the next power-up.

I might as well leave in on 24/7 then

>>55631750
>>55631793
u think that some plebs will hack my WiFi for free internet? they have their own.
>>
>>55631808
is the internet subsidized by the government? if yes then they won't bother but if the internet is expensive (you live in America than fuck yea it is) then a smart hood nigga will try to get into someone elses wifi connection.
>>
>>55631831
>>55631793
>>55631750
how does turning off my Wi-Fi at night decrease my chances of getting my Wi-Fi hacked?

is it the IP changing?
>>
>>55631873
Your opponent will just hack someone else for free internet 24/24 instead of only one weekends and nights.
>>
>>55631897
good to know. thx
>>
test
>>
........(░(¯`:´¯)░)
......(░(¯ `·.\|/.·´¯)░)
....(░(¯ `·.(█).·´¯)░░(¯`:´¯)░)
......(░(_.·´/|\`·._)(¯ `·.\|/.·´¯)░)
.........(░(_.:._).░(¯ `·.(█).·´¯)░)
██▀║██▀▄║██║██▀║██▄║█║██▀▄║██▀▀║
██▀║██▀▄║██║██▀║██║▀█║██║█║▀▀▀█║
██║░██║█║██║███║██║░█║███▀║████║
....(░(¯ `·.\|/.·´¯)░░(¯ `·.\|/.·´¯)░)
...(░(¯ `·.(█).·´¯)░(¯ `·.(█).·´¯)░)
....(░(_.·´/|\`·._)░░(_.·´/|\`·._)░)
██▀║▄█▀▄║██▀▄║██▀║██║█║██▀║██▀▄║
██▀║██║█║██▀▄║██▀║██║█║██▀║██▀▄║
██║░▀██▀║██║█║███║▀██▀║███║██║█║
....(░(¯ `·.\|/.·´¯)░░(¯ `·.\|/.·´¯)░)
...(░(¯ `·.(█).·´¯)░(¯ `·.(█).·´¯)░)
....(░(_.·´/|\`·._)░░(_.·´/|\`·._)░)
.......(░(_.:._)░)...(░░(_.:._)░)...
>>
NEVER FUCKING EVER BUY TELEWELL MODEMS
>>
File: 1455301770640.jpg (37 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1455301770640.jpg
37 KB, 800x533
>>55631599
>>
i run a game server and an http server so i cant
>>
>>55631873
just unplug it and stick it in your microwave at night. safest solution.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.