[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ARM to be acquired by SoftBank
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: arm.jpg (126 KB, 1280x880) Image search: [Google]
arm.jpg
126 KB, 1280x880
Hey I have a wild idea, how about a thread dedicated to technology and not just blatant consumerism.

What does /g/ make of SoftBank's acquisition of ARM? This doesn't seem like that much money considering how much Whatsapp and Linkedin went for.

General ARM/mobile SOC discussion thread.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/18/business/dealbook/softbank-group-nears-deal-to-buy-arm-holdings.html?_r=0
>>
File: IMG_20150822_013511.jpg (49 KB, 523x476) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150822_013511.jpg
49 KB, 523x476
>>55629185
Won't make a change for any of my Nokia N9
>>
>>55629216
/g/ never disappoints
>>
>>55629216
How are those things holding up after all these years? Can you acquire replacement batteries?
>>
>>55629236
You can buy recycled Chinese batteries
>>
>>55629185

SoftBank seems pretty keen on expanding. First Sprint and now ARM.

For what purpose?

>>55629216

I have a Cyan N9. I just can't use it as anything other than a phone call / sms business phone. My primary has to have both LINE and WeChat.
>>
>>55629345
Use QQ
>>
>>55629185
It's still a lot of money. It just doesn't get overvalued insanely even though they have a solid business plan, that isn't let's live on VC capital and hope someone buys us out, because normies don't know what they are or even do and thus they don't generate nearly as much hype.
>>
>>55629185
>What does /g/ make of SoftBank's acquisition of ARM?

Nippons trying to get ahead of the curve in chip technology, their tech sector has become stagnant over the last few years

Also their new supercomputer will be ARM powered
>>
>>55629620

That's fine for my Chinese friends but what about my Jap and Thai friends?

It's just not possible.
>>
>>55630818
Nippons are kill anyway.
>>
>>55629185
Shit is hitting the fan, about to jump chips (heh). Can't say much but, as a general rule, let's say that sushies are a pain to do business with.
>>
>>55630818
this japan has an inferiority complex now due to the war. they heard china has thier own cpu,so they too want one
>>
NIPPON STRONKU
>>
>>>/pol/81562701
>>
>britcucks are losing even their tech now
>>
>>55631948
how is this /pol/ related?
>>
>>55629185
ARM has had troubling dealings in the past with media associations like the MPAA in which they developed embedded hardware DRM. They've done a few things like that, and from a freedom perspective its basically making a nuke and giving it directly to a terrorist.
I can't imagine how this acquisition will make things worse, but I can't see it becoming any better either.
At the very least their core CPU, fabric, and GPU IP will remain unaffected for the next 3 years.

>>55632178
How about you learn to fucking read?
>>
This is why we need FOSS CPUs. ARM Holdings was independent of hardware manufacturers before but now they're going to get involved in the hardware business indirectly through a carrier. This shit is going to end up like x86 at some point whenever Softbank sells ARM or gets bought up.
>>
So, about 5 years until 85% of the ARM UK jobs get moved out of the UK and into Japan/SK/India. Britcucks on suicide watch.
>>
>>55632585
We already had FOSS CPUs and all are DOA. People want things that fucking work and do things like play angry birds.
>>
>>55629185
Sprint and arm being owned by the same company means optimizations for sprint and leverage against the mobile market.
>>
>>55629185
>What does /g/ make of SoftBank's acquisition of ARM?
It's not going to happen, SoftBank doesn't have the money.

Apple and Google are already lining up their own offers, they have much more capital than SoftBank.

It's definitely important news, but it's also important to note that SoftBank isn't going to own ARM - someone else, with far deeper pockets who previously didn't care, will end up buying them just to prevent a carrier owning the ISA most every smartphone and tablet uses...
>>
File: Man cuddling freedom.jpg (83 KB, 610x400) Image search: [Google]
Man cuddling freedom.jpg
83 KB, 610x400
YES! YES! YES!
Thank you!
A competitive architecture going from being owned by perfidious anglos living in a surveillance state to honorabru nipponese.
>>
>What does /g/ make of SoftBank's acquisition of ARM? This doesn't seem like that much money considering how much Whatsapp and Linkedin went for.

This is a symptom of ill values of our consumerist society. People tend to forget about critical infrastructure that keeps them alive and well, and the perceived valuation of this infrastructure falls.

That's why people value fundamental technologies like CPU IP/microarch less than certain consumer-facing social networks.
>>
>>55632585
>FOSS CPUs
why do people keep using this meme
you can't modify them
you can't audit them
you can't viably make your own
unless it's implemented on an also (unverifiably) free FPGA it is not free
>>
>>55633099
I'm not interested in any of that, what I want is for there to be a permanent source of innovation like with the linux kernel but also ensure that one company cannot just become a gatekeeper and prevent other companies from using it.
>>
on (un?)related note, the opera deal with the chinese failed.
>>
>>55633162
Basically what I was trying to say is I want assurance that one company cannot take over the entire ISA. By using a FOSS license for the designs the companies using it can be assured that their contributions wont be taken without something given back in return. This would hopefully lead to something like the linux kernel where the project has a ton of huge companies contributing to it.
>>
>>55632876
Will they make a cute anime girl mascot?
>>
>>55630818
>Supercomputer
>ARM

Riiight.
>>
>>55633552
>super shitty
right? :^)
>>
File: fujitsu_armv8.jpg (55 KB, 648x470) Image search: [Google]
fujitsu_armv8.jpg
55 KB, 648x470
>>55633552
>>55633582
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/20/fujitsu_arm_supercomputer/

If you don't believe me.
>>
>>55632645
>Japan

no
>>
>>55633637
Oh I believe you. They can guard it with trumps wall too.
>>
>>55632585
Go to Opencores. Download what you want. Audit if you feel like it. Install Linux (or VMS). Enjoy.

You can do this today. Few bother.
>>
>>55633552
>I don't know what a supercomputer is
>>
>>55633269
Why did it fail? That's good news right?
>>
>>55635489
>That's good news right?
nope: >>55634137
>>
File: 1468778078478.jpg (190 KB, 600x649) Image search: [Google]
1468778078478.jpg
190 KB, 600x649
>>55633329
What would ARM-tan be like?
>>
>>55633552
ARM is a decent candidate for supercomputers designed to tackle "embarrassingly" parallel problems.
>>
Stock up 41.10%
>>
>>55631477
Pro tip: SoftBank is run by a zainichi. He couldn't give a fuck about Japan's industrial advantage, etc. He's just good at striking when Yen is high and other currencies are low and leveraging Japan's extremely low-interest corporate bond market.
>>
>>55633329
I hope
>>
>>55629185
That's not technology, that business. Use >>>/biz/. Thank you.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.