[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
should a person learn openGL before diving into vulkan? how long
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: lambert_rendering_equation.jpg (70 KB, 650x453) Image search: [Google]
lambert_rendering_equation.jpg
70 KB, 650x453
should a person learn openGL before diving into vulkan? how long would it take to code a physics based rendering system that uses absorption/emission instead of specularity and quadratics? basically i want to be able to change to dozens of shaders that use real world parameters so that i could use already existing references for them, such as metals, woods, stones, and so forth.
>>
>>55622420
You should eat, sleep, and breathe opengl. Vulkan's still a ways off.
>>
>>55622439
but i want to be able to get into physics based lighting someday, which to me seems to not exist at all in any opengl documentation or academic texts.
>>
>>55622420
> Muh gaymin

Fuck off to the right board faggot
>>>/v/
>>
>>55622488
i'm not talking about games i'm talking about a renderer. are you autistic?
>>
>>55622455
I think you're missunderstanding what people mean when they say things like "physically based rendering", etc. It just means that people use formulas and adjust parameters informed by a real world understanding of how things like light work with particular materials. You can write shaders to do all of these things in OpenGL, but you're going to have to read up on the relevant topics to understand what you're trying to simulate.
>>
>>55622642
how long would it take for me to grasp enough of an understanding of opengl to implement a system which allows me to import obj/fbx files of models with IK rigs in such a way that they can recieve user input to generate animation sequences while influencing the camera with simulations of aperture, god rays, depth of field, bokeh, producing particle emissions with their own light sources and also verlet integration on stuff like hair and cloths? or would that be outside of opengl's scope and be more of a Bullet physics thing?
>>
>>55622718
and to add to this, would i need to make my own IDE to edit placement of models?
>>
>>55622488
OpenGL discussion does not automatically equal games. Same with Direct3D. They're rendering APIs first and foremost and discussing the rendering paths/APIs is perfectly legit tech discussions.

Go be a faggot autist somewhere else.
>>
>>55622439
Nah senpai. Now's the perfect time to start learning
>>
>>55622488
gargle cock elsewhere.
>>
>>55622877
i hear vulkan's way harder to learn than opengl. is this true?
>>
>>55622907
opengl: 5 line triangle
vulkan: 500 line triangle

at a glimpse, sure, but vulkan seems to have better re-usability. that being said, its in its infancy still so unless you work at a big name company thats paying you to learn it youre facing a very harsh learning curve. opengl/dx11 devs who are already familiar with those systems will eventually have an easier time porting over which is why people recommend just diving into those since theres a superfluous amount of information on both as it is.
>>
>>55622420
I'd say, learn OpenGL, then learn Vulkan if you run into a specific performance problem that Vulkan can solve.

Vulkan is more intended for rendering engine devs rather than application devs. Since you want to write a renderer, you're a candidate to use Vulkan-- but OpenGL will get you results faster and help you learn the concepts.
>>
>>55622420
It can help to learn modern OpenGL before diving into Vulkan, the rendering pipeline in OpenGL is a simplified and abstracted version of the actual pipeline, which Vulkan exposes.
>>
>>55622907
I'm writing a 2d engine and the init function for the Vulkan renderer is twice as big as the whole OpenGL renderer and it's done in a really dumb way just so I can get stuff on the screen. It's a pain in the ass desu, so many things you have to be explicit about and capabilities you have to check for. I doubt it'll even be faster in the end since I'm hardly as good at this stuff as the nvidia/amd driver guys are. Still a great learning experience and has taught me things that will improve the architecture of the whole rendering system but of dubious value if you actually want to make a game.
>>
>>55622982
Ehh, modern OpenGL takes more than 5 lines to render a triangle.
>>
File: abstract.jpg (33 KB, 600x336) Image search: [Google]
abstract.jpg
33 KB, 600x336
>>55623281
>>
>>55622776
You could just set up your scene in blender/any other 3d editing program and export it, and then load that file.

You can use assimp for loading it supports a lot of common 3d model/scene formats including .blend and .fbx files.
>>
>>55623475
i normally make my models in zbrush then export them to maya for rigging/animating.
>>
OpenGL devs are part of the group working on Vulkan right? Does this mean opengl is dead?
>>
>>55623916
theres a world of difference between the two. here's a quick breakdown of usage (and difficulty to ease):

vulkan: robust and powerful but requires high precision, Win/Android/Linux
dx12: great support and performance, top tier but win10/XOne locked
metal: apple by apple for apple/apple locked
opengl: general purpose, highly documented, win/mac/linux/mobile

wanna ship a product? start at the bottom
wanna flex that CS degree? start at the top
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.