[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My C++ teacher is having us get a book from 2002. Is this a bad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
My C++ teacher is having us get a book from 2002. Is this a bad sign or has not much changed in 14 years?
>>
[X] Abort
>>
>>55619674
Well if they changed too much then older programs would stop working.
>>
The basics haven't changed much, but there are recent C++ specs that you really should be learning instead
>>
Please tell me OP. Are you really this stupid or are you just trolling me now?
>>
>>55619918
I'm legitimately this stupid. I try not to be but I guess it's just who I am. Sorry
>>
>>55619941
There are various C++ standards, but no matter which one you learn, if you learn the language itself good enough, you'll know the differences and be able to learn a new standard yourself.
That book may or may not be good, I haven't read it, but give it a try and don't be so negative.
No bad signs here, enjoy programming and good luck!
>>
your teacher is a dumbass.
>>
>>55619674
>>55619793
>>[X] Abort

[X] Abort

But not because of this book, but because of your university, you should't have a teacher dedicated to one language, you should't have any sort of dedication of simply one language.
Instead you should learn patterns, mathematics, and all the science stuff, AI etc.

Picking a language is all up to you, C is fine, C++ too sure, but if you know all the basic ACTUAL science stuff you can pick ANY language in matter of weeks and master it within a year or so (not C++ tho).

So yeah, quit this dumb school and move to something better, or if you don't mind wasting your time, pajeet sure go ahead read this book, and 100 like it too...
>>
This >>55620096 here. It's bullshit, don't listen to him.
>>
>>55620096
I'm at community college taking as many classes as I can before I transfer to university to save money. I don't have much other choices in terms of transferable CS classes
>>
>>55620096
not entirely true. I got to a top 10 cs school and we have classes specific to c++ for upper classman because the industry requires the language (algorithms and design patterns / theory are taught in other language / environments). If all one has available to them is classes which teach a language then I agree however
>>
File: literally.png (416 KB, 391x513) Image search: [Google]
literally.png
416 KB, 391x513
>>55620096
When you learn programming at a school that does this, they usually teach you
>patterns, mathematics, and all the science stuff, AI etc.

t. someone who goes to a uni where they force java on you until Programming III
>>
>>55619674
Modern C++14 doesn't even resemble that old crap. It's like a whole new language!

Lightweight, safe, concurrent, multiparadigm, type-inference, lambdas, even more amazing template metaprogramming possiblities: truly a modern language made for the 21st century!
>>
>>55619674
>OOP is bad because it's old
I wish that web hipsters and Haskell hipsters would someday learn that functional programming dates back to the fucking 60s and is unsexy as fuck and basically just bootstrapped lambda calculus.
>>
C++ is C++. The language is always the same, just the syntax slightly changes.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.