[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did your first SSD die? Mine croaked last week, after 5 ½ years.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: kekHD.jpg (40 KB, 435x400) Image search: [Google]
kekHD.jpg
40 KB, 435x400
When did your first SSD die? Mine croaked last week, after 5 ½ years.
>>
>>55619115
what model? did it go into read-only mode or just died.
>>
>>55619669
It goes into read-only mode once. It's dead on reboot. OP probably didn't notice anyway. Sudden deaths can be avoided by checking their smart values occasionally.
>>
mine is still going.
samsung 830 pro bought in 2011
>>
>>55619115
My X25-m is still going strong after nearly seven years. I didn't put it in a secondary slot after replacing it with an 840 Pro three-four years ago.
>>
last week when OP's mom sat on it
>>
>>55619669
Crucial C300, 128GB. I got a read error when doing stuff in Photoshop, then some more freezes. Figured I'd reboot, which was apparently a fat mistake.
>>
>>55620150
did you lose any data?
>>
I replaced my SSD after 7 years or so. It still worked. It did have full disk encryption.
>>
>>55620167
Data is irrecoverable from dead ssds. Mostly due to the controllers.
>>
>>55620167
Not much, just some bookmarks and settings. I don't keep data on C:\
>>
>>55619115
I had two SandForce Mushkin SSDs die like 5+ years ago, back with the first generation of that fucking god awful fucking controller.

I've got a mix of Samsung and Crucial SSDs in my desktop and HTPC and haven't had a death since. I'd probably avoid Crucial if I were buying SSDs right now and focus on Intel and Samsung, but at the time it was a highly rated SSD.
>>
You fucking liar. SSDs haven't been around fi.. Shit.
>>
>>55620208
I know that is why I asked

>>55620227
Same here. good to know.

But I would still lose a ton of settings if I had to reinstall my entire system
>>
>>55620229
I got a Samsung EVO (850) as replacement, apparently they use some new 3D NAND now that's supposed to be more reliable

>>55620712
Well, beyond the basic stuff I haven't recovered my setup yet. Tons of stuff still left to install.
>>
>>55619115
>5.5 years

I still have an 7-year-old WD 80-gig HDD running on my old PC to this very day. Been using it as a webserver for 3 years now.

You fell for the SSD meme. Gratz.
>>
>>55620029
>Sudden deaths can be avoided by checking their smart values occasionally.
What should I pay attention to?
>>
File: 1462192830172.jpg (75 KB, 579x518) Image search: [Google]
1462192830172.jpg
75 KB, 579x518
My OCZ Vector died only after less than 6mths of usage, my Agility 3 replaced it

Then i bought a 512gb 850 Pro
>>
We bought some (~50) Dell E5520s with 64GB SSDs in 2012 and they all failed within a few months of each other in 2014. They were still in warranty so no monetary loss to us but still a pain.
>>
Man my fucking hdd just died last week. Still looking for a replacement and have vmbeen looking at ssds thinking they were safer.This thread scares me.
>>
>>55621818
I got an Agility 3 in 2011 and it's still going strong
>>
>>55622038
Any hard drive can die, that's why they have warranties and you do backups.

It's also why you buy the drives that offer the longest warranties. It isn't in a companies best interest to offer a long warranty if most of their products will die within it.
>>
I knew it, SSDs really ARE a meme.
>all these pajeets trying to convince /g/ day in and day out that SSDs are magical and never break
>actual life expectancy is about 5 years whereas HDDs easily live 15 years, even seagate ones
Glad I didn't fall for this meme. HDD master race!
>pay pennies to the TB
>lasts forever
Enjoy your $500 10GB brick I guess.
>>
>>55622691
>10GB SSD
who actually does this? spending more than $100-$150 for an SSD is retarded since they're meant to be like a CPU upgrade, not for storage.
>>
roughly the same time as OP's.

I have a 1.8in 128gb toshiba ssd that came with my thinkpad t410s that started giving me warnings after 6 years. Luckily it warned me ahead of time and I was able to get a replacement drive and clone my data from my old drive onto the new one.
>>
>>55622786
Doesn't really work when anything that benefits from load times beside the OS itself has to be put on the HDD since your SSD is already full.
>>
>>55622691
The drives that are dying now are not mature tech. You also don't use SSDs for storage, I only have programs and files I work with on mine, as well as temp directories. For everything else, I have large mechanical drives.
>>
>>55619115
>purchasing a SSD 5 years ago

what were you thinking? the technology was new, no? you're lucky it didn't turn all your files into images of a hand flipping you off, then explode.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.