[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the dream of getting a truly compact smartphone again dead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9
File: gsmarena_017.jpg (46 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
gsmarena_017.jpg
46 KB, 800x600
Is the dream of getting a truly compact smartphone again dead for good? Xperia Compacts are still too big. I don't want a fucking paddle, I want a phone I can hide in my hand, and one that isn't complete outdated shit.
>>
>>55614750
>hide in my hand

Let's be honest here, you want to stick it up your ass.
>>
>>55614750
buy a blackberry faggot
>>
>>55615311
I need an OS that has Instagram and Snapchat.
>>
>>55615342
Buy a blackberry faggot
>>
>>55615342
refurbished iphone 4s
>>
Speaking of which, is it a good idea to get a htc desire s from china? Its a pretty comfy phone with a physicalvkeyboard, but the android is kinda sloppy and not smooth by today's standards
>>
>>55615364
no, bad idea. look for a second hand high end phone and replace the battery. Like the iPhone 4s or some Android. If you're going with android look for a phone that people are still building new roms for.
>>
>>55614750
Get an iPhone SE ;)

No really.
>>
Nokia E71. Thise were the days...
>>
>>55615574
OP does sound like a huge faggot.
>>
>>55615574
>unironically suggesting an iPhone
/g/ truly is dead. Or full of normies and newfags. Same thing, really.
>>
File: photo_2016-07-17_16-04-07.jpg (69 KB, 853x1280) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-07-17_16-04-07.jpg
69 KB, 853x1280
>>55614750

You should probably buy a Nokia N9.
>>
>>55614750

The problem with anything smaller than Xperia compact is that typing becomes harder and harder as screen gets smaller.

Even on 4.7 z3c I have to use exotic keyboards like dynamic keyboard to be even remotely accurate while typing.
>>
>>55616854
Turn it sideways.
>>
I just want a flipphone with physical keys. Why do those not exist anymore? Even just an android phone with a flipphone design even though fuck all the cruft and lack of battery and durability, it would still be better than generic garbage we get nowadays.
>>
>>55616963
You mean like T9 with a numpad?
They still exist they are just expensive as fuck now.
>>
File: NTTDocomoSpring2013MEDIASWN05E.jpg (335 KB, 1000x565) Image search: [Google]
NTTDocomoSpring2013MEDIASWN05E.jpg
335 KB, 1000x565
>>55616963

There are many android flip phones but other than being cool what good are 0-9 keys these days.

Dual portrait screens would be cool tho but I guess android is not yet mature enough to support something like that.
>>
>>55616788
That's an old computer, you should really update anon
>>
>>55617033
Fuck you, now I want a dual portrait screens phone
>>
>>55617033
That looks horrid and unusable.

>>55617018
As for flipphones, the 0-9 keys are much easier to press, even without looking, than a fucking touch screen. Of course, the same principle is applicable to full-sized keyboards. A full-sized keyboard in a flipphone design (probably sideflip as in >>55617033 rather than topflip in this case) could be great. The form factor advantage is that it collapses into an easier to carry format while having the keyboard extension as a cover for the screen when closed. When open, the keyboard being physical allows using the phone without looking and, even if looking, significantly more accurately due to the haptic feedback. Honestly, even typing text with numberpads is much more comfortable than with the garbage touch keyboards on android phones.
>>
>>55617125
T9 is definitely faster and easier for one handed use especially if you aren't looking at your handset, not gonna argue there and I do miss it.

There really isn't a good replacement for it, google keyboard voice transcription is convenient but you do generally need two hands to use a modern touchscreen keyboard.
>>
>>55617173
Also I disagree with the full-sized keyboard sentiment, they aren't full sized and are harder to use than on screen keyboards which have predictive typing and correct for errors.
>>
>>55616600
There's literally nothing wrong with the iPhone SE
>>
>>55617125
I miss using my Tmo G2 and Samsung Galaxy S Relay. Could type without looking on the physical keyboards.
>>
>>55617185
The thing is it would be virtually impossible to type without predictive typing, and even with predictive typing (and it's worse when you deal with multiple languages), it's still much slower and much harder to use than a physical keyboard - which doesn't even need predictive in the first place.
>>
>>55617259
It isn't.
Its better with multiple languages because you can change the on screen layout. Pressing tiny keys is far harder than a touchscreen keyboard, there isn't any real pro of a physical keyboard on a modern touch screen phone. Its a waste of space.
>>
>>55617281
Filtered.
>>
>>55617291
Physical keyboards on phones are depreciated by touch screens, nobody wants or needs them, there is no demand.
>>
>>55616963
>>
>>55617018
PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>>
>>55617308
The demand is fairly high all things considered, a lot of people lament the lack of them (this thread is evidence alone).
Touchscreens don't depreciate keyboards, as you cant see a good deal of the screen while typing.
>>
>>55617354
The demand isn't high, a few people asking for it isn't proof of demand.

Flagship devices with keyboards flop, period.
>>
>>55617317
Doesn't seem to be available outside korea. Is that even flip capable?
>>
>>55616600
Stop being an autistic faggot.
OP wants a small phone with Instagram and Snapchat. The SE is perfect for them.
>>
>>55617354
contrarian idiots on /g/ do not represent the population at large. Things popular here are generally not popular irl.
>>
File: vertu-constellation-quest.jpg (14 KB, 345x461) Image search: [Google]
vertu-constellation-quest.jpg
14 KB, 345x461
>>55614750
Buy a Vertu.
>>
>>55617354
>want the blackberry priv
>it's got a shit processor
>want the update instead
>http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/7/1/12080608/blackberry-android-phones-release-mercury-argon-neon
>mid-range
>poor person phone

the new "high-end" one is coming out in october with an 820, which will probably be obsolete by that point. pls hep
>>
>>55617317
Don't waste your time or your money. This thing is fucking unusable. All it does is make the keyboard on the screen shorter, the physical keyboard just touches the touchscreen for you. The left and right column barely work. Also doesn't work with themes if you care about that.

>>55617387
No, basically it comes with a shitty plastic case that the keyboard clicks onto, when you're not using it you're supposed to attach it to the back, which is uncomfortable as shit.

Worst $50 I've ever spent.
>>
>>55617396
That's not true man. /g/ sets trends that the mainstream catches up to in about 5 years.
>>
>>55617396
>>55617369
The last true flagship I can think of that had one was the G2, which was the opposite of a flop.
Blackberry's Priv was a flop because it was Blackberry and not a company care about anymore.
>>
>>55617514
This is false and pretty consistently works the other way around.
>>
>>55616963
Wait for the new Moto Razr
>>
>>55617484
the high end doesn't even have a keyboard
it appeals to no one
>>
>>55615342
If you're not a retard, you can get those apps working on blackberry.
>>
>>55617664
Motorola said in june it's not happening.
>>
I don't see why you want a small smartphone.
The entire point is that you get fancy smart features and get to use them like a mobile computer.
If you want a phone that phones dumbphones are as good as ever.
Any kind of in-between will leave you unsatisfied on both accounts. It will be both too big and too stupid.
Just get a dumb phone for calls and use your smart phone for smart things.
>>
>>55617572
vertical sliders are also fucking retarded
i had the desire z/g2 as well. what a great phone

i'm using a galaxy s4 with a sliding bluetooth case
it's a fucking brick now but i liked my keyboard
>>
>>55617393
OP here. I'm not >>55615342. Fuck Instagram, fuck Snapchat, never used that shit, not planning on starting anytime soon. All I really did on my (now broken) Xperia L was Opera Mini, some lightweight browsing in other browsers, listening to music, maps, and a notepad. That's pretty much it. I just want a small phone with Android that can last at least a day. I don't even need a camera, I always carry my compact "soap box" with me.

I always did like Sony phones, it's just too bad they are like a cheaper Apple now. And they don't even make truly compact phones nowadays.
>>
>>55618719
Same here, I just want it to provide me with communication via IM/SMS, phone calls, podcast device and maps. And theres lots of devices that can do all that, but I been looking for a long time and on android devices that are small come with generally 512MB of RAM and a worse camera than a flip phone can pack. Apple was always to expensive for my pocket, but seriously if I want a normal sized device, apple is the only option left.
>>
>>55618235
I should've gotten a new one when I first had mine cause the mic was wonky, but I was dumb. Severely miss using that thing. It was godly.
>>
>>55618939
you can also pick up a used Droid 4 for like $50 on eBay and throw Cyanogenmod on it
>>
>>55617281
>pressing tiny physical keys is far harder than pressing tiny flat surface spots a.k.a. "digital keys"
Keep that trip up please
>>
File: tinyphone.png (296 KB, 624x484) Image search: [Google]
tinyphone.png
296 KB, 624x484
>>55614750
buy this then you flaming faggot
>>
>>55617281
Please stop being a returd any time.

I kinda miss being able to type on my dumbphone without even looking at the keyboard and display. I'm not sure if I could do that with a full quert[yz] but I can tell it would be a bit faster and far more comfortable than a flat no-border keyboard with no physical feedback.
>>
I'm thinking of Blackberry Z10. Is it still good? I can get it for $200, probably used (marked as well-preserved). Is it worth the money? Can I run Android on it (and still managing it to last a day)?
>>
>>55621315
n o
>>
File: twitter_400x400.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
twitter_400x400.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
this thread is just hipster bullshit
>>
>>55623040
>twitter
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>55623092
anything wrong with twitter friend?
>>
Neonode N2..
Nuff said
>>
>>55617723
The Priv felt so great to play with in the store but I can't justify spending that much on a processor that's already out of date. Why can't they just make a Priv with modern internals and set their sales expectations lower because of course not as many people will buy a vertical sliding flagship.

Or what about a passport that runs Android?
>>
>>55616788
Please give me more pics anon
>>
>>55615311
/thread

>>55615342
BB10OS has Instagram.
>Snapchat
BB10OS is worth not having it.
>>
>>55623529
Priv is $300 now, which seems /okay/
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.