[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question to people who use Arch and other time sink systems:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: facebook8.jpg (276 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
facebook8.jpg
276 KB, 600x800
Serious question to people who use Arch and other time sink systems: okay, you like Linux and want to use it, but why don't you use a distro that works out of the box like Ubuntu and its derivatives, so that you have time to also have a life, jobs, friends, and get fit?
>>
>>55610121
Because arch isnt' hard to use.
>>
>>55610121
Lot's of people use desktop linux who like to tinker and see how stuff works and just dick around setting up a cool homemade environment. It's a hobby. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>55610121
you are a retard

there is getting it it to work which takes 10 minutes max,and then ricing it which takes forever
>>
>>55610121
They all work out of the box we just spend time customizing it
>>
>>55610121
>can't be fucked to spend 30 minutes installing arch
>>
I use arch, but it's a negligible time sink compared to all the hours I wasted on /g/
>>
File: smoke_by_basiliusFocus.jpg (45 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
smoke_by_basiliusFocus.jpg
45 KB, 600x400
>>55610121
I use gentoo, the definition of timesink. and it is a terrific excuse to avoid job, friends, life... and all those other daywalker types that make me nauseous. being fit is an even better excuse to avoid daylight, dont trip
>>
Any Linux distro has the potental o be a time sink. The only things that really make arch different are paceman and the lack graphical installer.

It seems like most people assume that because it has to be installed via a command line it's only for autists who have too much time. In reality it only takes about 20 minutes to install and configure, maybe an hour if your new to Linux.
>>
I have a basic XFCE setup that's been up for a while without issue, so installing and setting up something else at this point would be more of a time sink. Also >>55610490
>>
ubuntu is ugly and comes preinstalled with amazon. why support that?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.