[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people call closed loop coolers a meme? I just got a single
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: 0515073656765492098.jpg (35 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
0515073656765492098.jpg
35 KB, 450x338
Why do people call closed loop coolers a meme?
I just got a single rad clc for my cpu a few days ago and I've noticed my gpu temp has dropped from 71 degrees to 62 degrees. The cooler is on my cpu by the way.

Also cpu temps have dropped to 53 degrees.

I5 2500 and windforce gtx 680 btw.
>>
>>55608829
These were the temps after a few bf4 multi-player matches btw
>>
>>55608829
>clc on the cpu makes gpu temperature drop
Fuck off retard
>>
>>55609069
Maybe he only has one case fan.
>>
File: 1466176991894.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1466176991894.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>buy seidon 120v because it's on sale, case is small, and still running old Core2Quad overclocked
>pump starts fucking up
>makes pulsing buzzing noise and pump doesn't work when turning computer on
>have to tap on the pump and eventually it clears
>>
Well, I have an i7 4790k and the stock cooler had idle temps for me at about 32, and load at about 50. I have a corsair H55 closed loop and I now idle at about 27 and load at about 43.
>>
>>55608829
They're loud, have mediocre pumps that like to fail, and aren't as cost efficient as similar priced air coolers.
>>
>>55609309
Op here, I can't even hear mine running. The 2 fans I have attached to the radiator probably make more noise than the pump.

>>55609220
Should have RMA'd it.

>>55609207
I have 4 case fans, 2 of them are on the radiator now though. 2 pushing into the case, radiator + psu pulling out.

>>55609069
Yes, when the heat is being pulled out of the case instead of circulating around the insides.
>>
>>55608829
If I have a 7970 with an i7 3770(stock cooler), will a cheap clc really help that much? My computer overheats like fuck
>>
>>55608829
If one part fails like the pump or springs a leak, you're screwed. Heatsinks can't fail, they also won't spring a leak on their own. Fans don't matter since you can replace it on either one with ease. The moment the water stops moving, your cpu dies because all the fins are in the radiator, and none in the mounting itself. An empty plastic/rubber tube doesn't transfer heat that well compared to an empty copper tube.
>>
>>55609309
Could you give me an air cooling recommendation aio is pretty cheap these days
>>
>>55612039
Gammax 300 or cooler master tx2
>>
>>55608829
Because they cost more money than blowing the hot air back inside the fan and blowing cooler aid inside the case.

On /g/ anything that costs more even though it may be more effective to your goal is considered a meme.
>>
>>55612426

ur a meme

nothing u said contributed to OP's goal of this thread
>>
>>55608829
Not a meme in guts threads.
>>
>>55612426
People here seem very poor and a little odd I've noticed.

For example, they delude themselves into believing nvidia cripples older cards so they can justify buying midrange AMD cards when in reality no one cares and the difference is minimal.

The fact that they wouldn't pay $10 for for a clc vs an equivalent tower sink doesn't surprise me
>>
>>55612756
Yeah I am poor and work min wage currently and I will tell you certain things are indeed overpriced but the reason someone buys them is to achieve a specific goal that's why there are probably thousands of cell phone brands right now.

The iPhone is for poor people meme is a miss understanding of markets, people have decided that iPhones were a good product that is why they bought them, it doesn't mean android is inferior or superior it means that a iphone is what they wanted. Every product has its place and market that's why they exist and if nobody buys it then it will quit being made/sold.

Don't have a desktop right now but if I did I'd be looking for a way to engineer a sealed cooling system for it as a hobby because to me that would be the most efficient way of cooling a processor, however the cost of the electricity to run a compressor to pump the refrigerant would make it useless to me because I value more not paying the electricity than I do having my cpu cold. It's actually amazing there are no good sealed cooling systems to this day that don't cost a fortune. But because it costs a fortune compared to cheaper solutions is why /g/ calls it a meme, same with iPhones and Intel and amd shitposting threads.
>>
>>55612968
There's nothing wrong with being poor.
I'm between jobs, still on an i7 870 + gtx 680.
Might upgrade if I find a job soon, but really the performance is plenty for the casual gaming I do.
>>
>>55613000
The point I was trying to make is a lot of people on /g/ are just to damn self centered and believe that if something costs X dollars and they don't like it because they feel it's price/benefit is expensive and but other people are all over it they think those people are sheep/poor and it's a meme for normies.

In other words, stop liking what I don't like.

But like I said I'm poor and I bought a chinkpad x220 and I'll tell ya it's easily one of the best laptops I've ever had my hands on.
>>
>>55613180
Why do so many people here act like children?

Also how's battery life on the x220? I was considering one but then I managed to get a vaio with the battery dock instead for a similar price instead.
>>
>>55613193
I really can't comment because the battery mine came with is well used. It's a 9 cell and I timed it using Windows 7 browsing normally with maybe five or six tabs, playing angry birds using a usb mouse and a sata ssd and brightness maybe at 60 or 70. I got four hours.

I'm gonna buy a new 9 cell I'm hoping for at least eight hours but I'm not keeping my hopes up on that. I see reviews and other people on /g/ claiming 8 to 10 hours, I don't have a reason to doubt it but I find it hard to believe, unless you some how highly costumize the power consumption settings?? Is that even possible? It's better than what I had previously so for $100 I am pretty happy. More powerful than the Inspiron 11 I almost bought, cheaper, nicer screen and hey if you got the extra money or like you said just between jobs and you're not downgrading if you find it for $100 I don't see how it's a bad deal.
>>
>>55613235
4 hours is pretty nice, my old hp was barely giving me one.

With the battery dock plugged in though my vaio gives me around 10 hours, which is plenty to last me 2 days.

Cooling sucks shit though, especially with the second battery blocking the vents underneath
>>
>>55608829
>meme
The word "meme" has lost all meaning. Just read "sparkly" instead. It would make about as much sense.

>Closed loop clooers are sparkly
>>
>>55613193
>Why do so many people here act like children?
/g/ - consumer loyalty
>>
>>55613337
>4 hours is pretty nice

oh yeah its amazing to me, like I said, its better than what i had, which was no battery so this is even half capacity battery is far more advanced lol
>>
>>55609353
>>55612426
How would CPU heat get blown around the case with a tower cooler if there's an exhaust fan right behind it?
>>
>>55608829
That says more about your garbage case than the cooler itself.

They are noisy, unreliable, last only for some years, expensive as fuck and outclassed or matched by air coolers that cost a fraction of them and don't have any of these problems.

I'm actually using an H60 now but only because I have a cheap ass case (coolermaster elite 130). It's still a garbage cooling method. If I could find a node 304 for sale where I live, I'd switch to it and drop this trash and go back to my air cooler in a heartbeat.
>>
>>55608829
Lol my computer has 4 120mm fans and runs a 4ghz cpu at 43°
>>
>>55613465
I guess it depends on who does it and how they do it, what you'd want to have is a fan blowing cool air in the case and a fan blowing air out of the case.

If you have one fan only blowing air from the case outside then you need a intake to the case to pull cool air in, that works to but it's not as good as having air being forced in.

Last time I bought a case, twelve years ago, they only came with one fan on the case, so I don't know how cases are today.
>>
>>55613193
Because many people here are children or edgy gamers.
>>
File: notToScale.png (31 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
notToScale.png
31 KB, 1920x1080
>>55613489
Modern cases come with a piss ton of fan mounts nowadays. My R5 can mount 2 x 140mm fans at the front, 2 x 140mm at the bottom, 3 x 140mm at the top, and 1 x 140mm at the back. Came stock with two 140mm fans already and if I wanted to deal with a loud intake fan, that's all I would need.
>>
Talk me out of buying a h110i gt /g/. I want something beefier than a 212 evo for oc:ing a 4690k and i reaaally like the aesthethic of a 280mm clc, especially if i mount it to the front of my case.
>>
>>55613563
That is a shit ton of fans if you put that many in, so you'd have most of them blowing hot air out and one or two pulling cool air in?

I guess the only time a closed cooling system would make sense is if your room temperature is well.. very warm.

Gut pic of your case for fun? Thanks
>>
>>55608829
Been running precisely this with following setup:
[email protected] (~130Wtdp)
Gtx960
Temps on CPU went from throttled 98C to comfy 65 under prime load
Gpu doesnt go over 60C
>>
>>55613590
Go for it. It's a great cooler, just make sure it's pushing the heat out of the case
>>
>>55613590
You're going to absolutely hate how it sounds like a fish tank due to the pump.

For way less you can buy the best air coolers around. I'm >>55613473. Don't buy AIO coolers, seriously, they are garbage.
>>
File: Comb17072016011307.jpg (1008 KB, 1920x1711) Image search: [Google]
Comb17072016011307.jpg
1008 KB, 1920x1711
>>55613612
Here's some grainy pictures since you asked. The trend now is to have more air coming into the case compared the air coming out since it makes the case naturally dustproof if fan filters are installed. There's no reason to fill all those fan slots though, it's mainly for radiator support if you're into water cooling.

Windowless version of my case can also mount a side 140mm. GPU is to be determined.
>>
>>55613749
aw shit dude that is a nice setup. how much did that run you?

thats a mid atx right? i been seeing heat sinks like that on threads how the hell does that not break the motherboard with so much weight off centered pulling down on that board?
>>
>>55613749
one of the best cases if only because it can dampen sound, just look at that foam material
>>
I've had my H100i for 3 years now and I've had no problems, my CPU idles at around 30 degrees. I've got a 4770k at 4.4ghz. on top of this its not even loud!
>>
>>55613736
You sound like you've never bought a clc in your life. Mine isn't even audible.
>>
File: snapshot9.png (85 KB, 1131x577) Image search: [Google]
snapshot9.png
85 KB, 1131x577
>>55613782
A bunch of deals came up magically when I ordered my things so it came out to be around $720 USD. As for the heat sink, I have no clue how it doesn't flex my motherboard. Modern technology I guess.
>>
>>55613814
Nice. Mine idles around the same, but it's a stock i5 2500
>>
With heatpipes, air cooling is as efficient or more than AIOs for the same price point, while being more reliable.

I can see the point if the AIO has more surface (higher dimensions than 140mm), or if you have a very small case.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.