[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Other than buying or setting up my own NAS device, what's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Nas_©DannyClinch2.jpg (34 KB, 628x427) Image search: [Google]
Nas_©DannyClinch2.jpg
34 KB, 628x427
Other than buying or setting up my own NAS device, what's the cheapest solution for being able to stream content from a portable HDD to other devices in my apartment through Plex? I know some routers can do this, but that they're unreliable.
>>
>>55608705
Let me get this straight.
You want to stream to plex and not from plex?
>>
>>
>>55608832
Right now, I just plug my HDD into my shitty WD tv box, but I'm getting a Chinese Android one, and really love how Plex uses metadata to make the interface more user friendly (as opposed to a basic file system in my HDD)

So I figured I could just install Plex on it, and have it pick up my HDD as a network device.
>>
>>55608907
You want metadata with easy to use interface... well my honest advice would be that you just spend like 200$ on a cheap Synology NAS and roll with it.

Alternatively you can probably pick a HP G7 microserver (or a g8) for around 100-150$ and installing linux or windows to it and running plex from there.

You want to either have a really good CPU or have a really easy to use interface (synology even on their lower end NAS have Plex implemented rather well so long as you don't intend to get multiple streams of content running).

TL;DR

Anything under 150$ is going to take alot of elbow grease and time and it's not going to be worth it. If you want to run plex that is.
>>
>>55608705
I appreciate this.
>>
>>55609019
Sounds good my man, I'll look into it
>>
>>55608705
>Other than buying or setting up my own NAS device
You could steal one Tyrone.
>>
>>55608907
This works with android, PC, NASes, and literally everything. The only time I've found this doesn't work is when I'm trying to play media from a USB device through plex on my "Smart TV", which for some ungodly reason won't play HEVC video in the legacy player without displaying a fucking "Media Unsupported" message in a huge fuck-off box in the bottom right corner, though the video and audio still work perfectly fine.

But yeah... for whatever reason Plex plays from USB devices fine on all platforms except for smart TVs. It just demands you to connect it to a local Plex server.
>>
>>55609719
I know that for my WD box, I can have metadata including photos, backgrounds, posters, etc. but it puts a bunch of .xml and other garbage files on my HDD. Is there an app for Android boxes that doesn't do this?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.