[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why you keep using this outdated browser? which is poorly optimized
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: 20070306-firefox.jpg (16 KB, 243x231) Image search: [Google]
20070306-firefox.jpg
16 KB, 243x231
Why you keep using this outdated browser? which is poorly optimized for the new technologies

It's not 2006 anymore, anon
>>
>>55604073
i-it's not?
>>
Superior Add-ons, no botnet, doesn't bring my workstation to its knees on startup, doesn't spawn dozens of processes and gobble up gig's of virtual memory when I've only got one tab open.
>>
Because all the other browsers do shit I don't like.
>>
>>55604073
Works on my machine
>>
>which is poorly optimized for the new technologies
And which would those be?
If anything it is poorly optimized for Flash, which is on its way out.
>>
e10s fucking when?
it literally shits itself even with white-listed addons if you open a lot of tabs especial in private mode
>>
>>55604073
You know using Firefox to shit on and calling it outdated is the same as using Apple for the same.Yes like the later it is not the no 1 but its still a close second not to mention the gap between ff and chrome usage is smaller than for win and mac.
>>
Because it works on my machine. Literally.
>>
If I change browsers then I have to fuck around with cookies in order to get past the panda. Even though I'm posting on /g/ right now, my time is too valuable for that.
>>
>>55604203
Just be smarter user and use NoScript to disable untrusted JS
Or just use the development version instead of complaining.Why is it so hard to follow directions?
>>
>>55604693
>noscript
>smart
Smart people use uMatrix

t. gorshill
>>
>>55604073
>which is poorly optimized for the new technologies
>It's not 2006 anymore, anon
I am not an fffag and uses chrome,but where did you even get that from?OK tell me one browser thats not Webkit based and has more support for HTML5 features than ff.
>>
>>55604693
I'm on beta and it still suffers from performance regressions caused by e10s
considering this is the version that enables e10s in stable builds in like 2 weeks (for users w/o addons) I expected more. or at least not WORSE performance than before
>>
>>55604738
>using umeme
You may as well just use Ublock Edge for all blocking
>>
>>55604754
Last time I checked e10s are not available in Betas
>>
>>55604777
about:config

browser.tabs.remote.autostart true

extensions.e10sBlockedByAddons false

???
profit
>>
>>55604134
>no botnet
Once you spent hours removing it :^)
https://github.com/pyllyukko/user.js/blob/master/user.js
>>
>>55604878
shit meme

this is all you need
#Disable Pocket
extensions.pocket.enabled;false

#Disable Hello
loop.enabled;false

#Disable Geolocation
geo.enabled;false

#Disable Usage statistics (Telemetry)
toolkit.telemetry.enabled;false
>>
File: Sad-Frog-Meme-08.jpg (27 KB, 550x535) Image search: [Google]
Sad-Frog-Meme-08.jpg
27 KB, 550x535
>Tfw 2006 was 10 years ago
>>
seems to work okay on gentoo
>>
>>55604073
Because it's better than chrome.
>>
guys...
I enabled e10s...
and I like it...
is it placebo...
>>
>>55604073
I have only one problem with it: Why is it that when I play videos in Firefox the sound is often not playing until I hit 'refresh' and load the page again?
>>
>>55605422
something fucked on your end buddy. are you using some retarded codec packs or something like that?
>>
File: Untitled.png (9 KB, 969x261) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
9 KB, 969x261
When i disable hello and pocked I get this in about:support
is it normal?
>>
I tried chrome on my shitty tablet. Starts up in three seconds, can use it right away. Shitty interface and little to no customization. Annoying google bullshit that cannot be removed. Extensions are acceptable.

Then I tried Vivaldi. Lots of customization, same generally good performance as chrome, much better interface for tablets, but the browser itself will randomly cease to recognize touch inputs, scrolling becomes erratic, and tabs won't close. What the fuck.

Firefox is slow as shit. 10 seconds to start up, another 15 before I can actually use it, but it works perfectly fine with touch input. Zero issues. Great extensions.

Edge is perfect for touch, starts in one second, never lags, never gives me any issue, but it has no extensions, and no customization at all. That shit is unacceptable.

In the end, Firefox may be shit and terrible in terms of performance, but compared to every other option I have, it's the most tolerable shit and the one that actually works and does what I need it to do. Maybe Edge gets better with the next update, but I doubt it.
>>
Chrome is subtly but infuriatingly invasive in terms of privacy. Iridium is nice and runs a little more smoothly than Firefox on OpenBSD, but it's still beholden to Chrome's add-on ecosystem. I prefer Firefox because it's focused on being extensible and community-oriented, and because I slightly prefer the UI feel. It's surprisingly fast in many cases, too.

Also, I love the Tor Browser, which effectively counts as Firefox.
>>
>>55606302
For the curious, Iridium is Chromium with a few slight modifications to remove Google dark patterns and invasive defaults:

https://iridiumbrowser.de/
>>
>>55605467
Are you using some special audio driver ?
>>
>>55606391
nope. dedicated sound card
>>
>>55605567
Edge is getting extension support in windows anniversary update.
>>
>>55604073
Outdated? But it says my Firefox is up to date.
>>
>>55604073
I'm using waterfox
>>
>>55606888
best memer ITT
>>
>>55606929

https://waterfoxproject.org/
>>
>>55606952
I got a better website for you

https://niceme.me/
>>
>>55604073
Addons
>>
>>55606966
Bad troll go to /b/
>>
>>55607013
I agree, fuck that watermeme guy
>>
>>55607025
>Still trying so hard.
>>
>>55606952
>https://waterfoxproject.org/
nice, a shit browser shitly compiled into 64bit
>>
>>55607088
REKT
>>55606888
so a shitty version of firefox x64 that exists from version 46 or so? and even earlier in dev channels
>>
>>55605467
OP here: not that I know of. Everything is fine with other browsers though
>>
I haven't used it since 2008 and just tried it out a few days ago.

Already I remember why I left it in 2008. It acts like its got mother Russia on its back when a few tabs are open.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.