[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does wi-fi have higher latency than wired even if the download
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: io03.png (14 KB, 420x296) Image search: [Google]
io03.png
14 KB, 420x296
Why does wi-fi have higher latency than wired even if the download speed is the same?
>>
because transfer speed measures the quantity of data passed per second, not the speed in which the data passes from one device to another.
>>
Throughput != Latency
Imagine a pair of tubes are being used to transfer your data in the form of a gel akin to semen. One is thin but short; low throughput low latency. The other is wide but long; high throughput high latency.
>>
>>55601005
wireless has overhead processing time to consider. While the band itself is noted to be in the ranges similar to a wired connection, the truth is that the wireless band actually has a greater potential than we are being told. I'm no expert on the matter, meaning I have never worked in the field, but it's pretty well known that a regular 4g connection can go at about 349mbps even though when it is actually put to use here we maybe get 80-100mbps. What happens here is that some margin of the band is used to create a "sealing" for the wireless signals to stay uniform, using mathematics and junk. Of course it doesn't take all that extra space on the band to do such a thing, but there are also several channels to consider and lots of people to service at once.
>>
>>55601200
think of it as IO between different wireless signals. So if you have only a wireless connection and all your electricity is managed underground, you will have much interference and a very low latency. Electricity in the walls does indeed create latency, sometimes it's just negligible.
>>
>>55601224
>much interference
much less interference*
>>
think of transfers as water through a pipe.
higher speeds means a wider pipe and more water coming out of the tap at once, which means it's technically faster.
However if the latency is higher, it's like when you turn the tap and have to wait a second before the water comes out.
>>
Thanks friends.
>>
>>55601042

>bit per second is not a measure of speed

you're honestly this retarded?
>>
you only have to ask for data you download once
a "latency" in a game or something is something entirely different
>>
>>55601267
infetterence
>>
>>55601356
speed is throughout and latency

you could have a 1Tbps pipe, but if there is a 12-hour latency most people wouldn't call that speedy
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_tuning#Window_size
>>
>>55601572
it'd be speedy if you're transferring hundreds of terabytes in those 12 hours
>>
>>55601200
>a regular 4g connection can go at about 349mbps even though when it is actually put to use here we maybe get 80-100mbps

If you are talking about a real-world cell tower data connection, those speed losses are due almost exclusively to throttling, a small backbone pipe, or both.

I've heard stories of some "LTE" towers in rural parts of the US having what is effectively a DSL connection going to the tower itself.
>>
Picture a truck full of 10 TB hard disks

That doesn't explain WHY wi-fi has high latency tho. After all radio waves travel near the speed of light.
>>
>>55601572
This.

Think of sneakernet.
I can carry 100TB of shitty external hard drives in my car a few km up the road in like ten minutes.
That's around 1333333Mb/s (when averaged) which is great for data transfer, but the latency is well too much for anything that needs to be instant.
>>
>>55601673
It doesn't explain why WiFi has a high latency.
>>
>>55601650
u wonna fite m8
>>
>>55601650
It takes time to reconstruct the signals that's been raped during propagation
>>
>>55601635
yeah, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about getting 1Tb of data per second, but you have to wait 12 hours for that first 1Tb to arrive after being sent
>>
>>55601689
Reasonable explanation
>>
>>55601683
>>55601650
It's high latency because WiFi is CSMA. The wireless spectrum is a shared medium and each transmitter has to wait for all other transmitters to stop before it can transmit.

This shit is literally Computer Networking 101, but I don't know why I'm expecting any better from /g/
>>
>>55601683
It needs to be packetised, encrypted, fec encoded, modulated, demodulated, error corrected, decrypted, re-request dead packets, etc.
All while adjusting transmission parameters according to the environment (like slowing transmission if it gets too noisy, etc).

Ethernet is typically:
1. send beep
2. recieve beep
3. ???
4. profit
>>
>>55601005
travel distance, more interference inbetween
>>
>>55601721
BEEP
>>
>>55601005
The latest version of libtorrent-rasterbar, has problems with qbittorrent, downgrade both of them
>>
File: 802.11_.png (14 KB, 695x219) Image search: [Google]
802.11_.png
14 KB, 695x219
>>55601005
a. 802.11 is half duplex
b. you have to wait to transmit, you cant have more than one transmition per channel at the same time.
c. if you have lot of clients connected to the same AP the modulation scheme gets complicated, AP have to deal with all those modulation schemes to talk to each client.
d. downfade, reflection, refaction, scattering, etc...

802.11ac improves all of the above.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.