[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you regret getting a CS degree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 21
File: heroMSCS.jpg (83 KB, 762x300) Image search: [Google]
heroMSCS.jpg
83 KB, 762x300
Did you regret getting a CS degree?
>>
File: 1462517748804.jpg (116 KB, 469x469) Image search: [Google]
1462517748804.jpg
116 KB, 469x469
I love my CE degree.
>>
>>55597360
going for that now, any advice before I begin?
>>
>>55597427

Pick another degree in a field that's not overrun with H1B visa poos.
>>
>>55597333
Yes.
>>
>tfw graduated summa cum laude from Berkeley and still can't find a job
I wish I didn't fall for the CS meme.
>>
>>55597333
I like my CE degree, feels good not living in the US where people work +40 hours per week
>>
>>55597333
No. I do regret the polisci degree I wasted my youth on though.
>>
>>55597333
I have a good job so not really.
>>
i regret not getting one
>>
>>55597920
you mean you don't have friends? Haha
>>
>>55597333
40-hour work weeks, varied work, and over 35 USD / hr less than two years after graduating with a computer engineering degree. Even went to a cheap college and got a mediocre GPA.
>>
>>55597920
that's weird. my friends graduated with low GPAs (like bordering around 3.0) from Cal and they have good jobs at google now. pretty sure they're all making healthy six figure incomes. none of them was especially social either (they played magic all the way into college; you don't recover from that).

i increasingly think that it's less about the circumstances and more about the person. it's just easier to put responsibility on the things around you, because the alternative is to admit that you were lazy, timid, and forgettable.
>>
>>55598387
yeah no shit. it's clear he had nothing than a good GPA
>>
Yes, if you take Computer Science for a degree you are basically admitting you have zero personality and are a boring chode nobody really wants to hang with except other CS students. When you're a fresher and people ask the inevitable, "What degree are you studying??", saying "Computer Science" is the ultimate way to make people turn away from you because it is THAT dull. So glad I switched to Mathematics, now I earn 300K starting and get any chick I want.
>>
File: 1466813600263.jpg (707 KB, 3500x2587) Image search: [Google]
1466813600263.jpg
707 KB, 3500x2587
>implying I'm a software only babby
>>
>>55598398
yeah but autistic people don't like the world working this way. it bothers them that they can technically check off all the boxes, pass all the unit tests, and still come out of university without some noticeable change to their brain or a guaranteed job.

maybe i'm conflating entitled idiots who think that it's the university's job to teach them every language they'll ever use (when in reality it's more about teaching you how to learn and master different types of languages - a much more meta concept and one that requires the student to make some real effort to connect the dots), but there are definitely folks who seem to be on the spectrum that i have to carefully walk through this logic of how you need to take some initiative that isn't on a class syllabus (e.g. going to career fairs, doing internships, and initiating relationships with professionals).
>>
>>55597333
yes
>>
yes, everyday. Not even joking/trolling/memeing
>>
>>55598419
nice bait until the Mathematics part

>>55598429
>tfw I'm going to spend my university years like this too
sad
>>
>>55598463
you're going to see people slide into what's comfortable, sneering at the people that stick their necks out and apply for shit, and you might remember this thread; try and be one of those people that sticks their neck out and tries to do something more than the bare minimum.
>>
>>55598442

Why is that?
>>
File: Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica.png (453 KB, 677x429) Image search: [Google]
Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica.png
453 KB, 677x429
So is a CIS degree in Network Administration worthwhile at all?

I'm getting really tired of classes that are about shit I knew in 9th grade and having to sit in every class for 4 hours because the average "CS" degree student doesn't know how to code a sieve of eratosthenes and I can't challenge any of the classes.
>>
>>55598481
yeah, I'm hoping to do that next year. my first year was horrible because I was already so tired of school. I took summer school throughout high school and didn't get a break for more than 2 weeks.

I majored in dumb shit (chemistry) that I realized I don't even like either. Computer Science was my minor. Didn't do much and ended up with a 1.9 GPA

I didn't make many friends either. Couldn't find clubs that spark my interest, classes are in sizes of hundreds of people... ended up getting two female friends that noticed me from having two lectures together (I'm kind of attractive)

This just made me realize I'm not doing anything this summer. Oh well
>>
>>55598503
>attending lectures
Why?
>>
>>55598503
>CIS
die cis scum
>>
>>55598503
then just skip the classes you aspie. not like they take attendance
>>
>>55597333
Why would I?
It's required by lot's of employees. I really like the math I learn on it. The low-level stuff we learn are pretty interesting. People are ok and the lecturers usually allows you to use whatever technology you want, so it's not a problem to use PostgreSQL on databases and Rust on algorithms.(my friends on other degrees don't have that much freedom)

>>55597920
You probably fall for "do a degree without self learning" meme. Degree doesn't guarantee you a job, your skills do.
I got pretty nice part-time job at the first year just because I already knew plenty of languages and had wide experience.
>>
>>55598557
you didn't seem to understand the post but okay.
>>
>>55598550
where did you get experience from?

>>55598567
not really, did you even read the post?
>>
Seriously, am I just wasting my time?
>>55598541
>>55598548
> not like they take attendance
Lol no, they do. And I get dinged a full assignment for not showing up.
>>55598548
>die cis scum
I'm a transgirl.
>>
>>55598550
>You probably fall for "do a degree without self learning" meme. Degree doesn't guarantee you a job, your skills do.
not to mention it kinda guarantees he's an aspie when someone from a respectable university with a high GPA can't get a job through friends and networking
>>
>>55598616
>Lol no, they do. And I get dinged a full assignment for not showing up.
Wtf kind of system is this? You get dinged for not attending the lectures, not the labs? seems like a shitty university to me, how big are the classes?
>>
>>55598574
I both read it and wrote it. I was saying that you need to do more than the bare minimum. Doing a mandatory internship constitutes part of the minimum. It just happens to be that the minimum is different for you than it is for other places.
>>
>be in computer science
>75% of the students are Chinese exchange students (yes they're everywhere but especially in CS)
>the other half are unkempt, antisocial looking white or asian loser boys
sigh

at least pajeets are kind of cool with a sense of humor. really regret not going into engineering. where I'm from, it's the faculty that everyone worthwhile seems to go into
>>
>>55598616
>Lol no, they do. And I get dinged a full assignment for not showing up.
Where the fuck do you study? High school?
>>
>>55598658
yeah if you're missing pretty important components by skimming then you should either figure out a better way to skim or stop skimming.
>>
>>55598665
my university has a policy like this for the labs,but having a policy for lectures is just dumb
>>
I don't have one but it would have been nice for my first job. Doesn't matter now.

99% of most jobs software regardless of whether your at a tier D company in Nebraska or at Google are pretty simple.
>>
File: 1468469204651.jpg (57 KB, 421x421) Image search: [Google]
1468469204651.jpg
57 KB, 421x421
my oldest sister has a degree in CS. Too bad she has diagnosed autism and is a social justice warrior. That being said,

She is filthy rich.
She made $35,000 on a summer internship immediately after college
Moved to one of the biggest cities
And is probably living NEET life while being the complete opposite of NEET
>>
>>55598636
>You get dinged for not attending the lectures, not the labs?
Yes. The "labs" are aren't a seperate class apart from the lecture, they're usually just another stupid assignment like "code a program that does x and dropbox it to me and I'll be in the online chat for 2 hours on tuesday if you need help"
>how big are the classes?
About 30-35 people per class, every classroom has a computer for every person
>>55598665
Around my 2nd year of college.
>>
>>55598712
Oh. so it's a small college with lectures high school style
>>
>>55598712
confirmed for shit tier

>college
>not university
Are you a nigger as well?
>>
>>55598574
>where did you get experience from?
Garry's Mod and then programming my own tools and games.
On Garry's Mod I learned how to make shaders, raytracers, 2D and 3D path finding, virtual memory, a lot about optimization(because of how slow VMs are in GM), actual 3D renderers, made my own virtual machine with my own instruction set and learned simple structured language, simple low-level language and LUA and much more. 3000 hours of playtime were surely worth it.
Then I started doing my own programs, I made IRC bot, mumble bot, started modding mumble itself and learned about protobuf and how client-server applications are being made, made few games and learned how to practically use shaders and about graphic memory, learned plenty of languages, created some various websites that taught me PHP, CSS, JS, design and databases, and now I'm working on fractal renderer in Rust and I learn assembly for low-level optimization of operation on large fixed point numbers.

>>55598622
That probably true as well. I'm not very social myself, but the moment I started uni I joined informatics(?) association and people I meet here literally gave me job and accommodation.
>>
>>55597333
No
>>
>>55598763
>On Garry's Mod I learned how to make shaders, raytracers, 2D and 3D path finding, virtual memory, a lot about optimization(because of how slow VMs are in GM), actual 3D renderers, made my own virtual machine with my own instruction set and learned simple structured language, simple low-level language and LUA and much more. 3000 hours of playtime were surely worth it.
>Then I started doing my own programs, I made IRC bot, mumble bot, started modding mumble itself and learned about protobuf and how client-server applications are being made, made few games and learned how to practically use shaders and about graphic memory, learned plenty of languages, created some various websites that taught me PHP, CSS, JS, design and databases, and now I'm working on fractal renderer in Rust and I learn assembly for low-level optimization of operation on large fixed point numbers.
How do you even have time for all that?
>>
File: 9987_97c7_350.gif (4 MB, 320x179) Image search: [Google]
9987_97c7_350.gif
4 MB, 320x179
>>55598720
yeah
>>55598748
no, I'm white and poor and I don't have enough iroquois in my blood to collect government bucks and land
>>
>>55598791
lol, where in Canada are you in?
>>
>>55598789
not shitposting 24/7 on 4chan will help
>>
>>55598797
cascadia, usa
>>
>>55598789
What else were I supposed to do during middle and high school?
I had fuckton of free time back then, it wasn't a problem to spend 4h after school and 8h on days off playing gmod and programming.
Now when I'm studying and working at the same time I don't have that much energy, but I still program on weekends.
>>
>>55598828
damn, so you knew you were going into computer science. at least you had a set path
>>
>>55598763
all you said is not that complicated
>>
>>55598850
Most of them aren't complicated, but they give you great insight on how all the things works, from metal-level CPU and GPU(I tried to create CPU in Minecraft but my team disbanded) to databases and client-server model. Also the more languages you know, you start to see patterns and better understand how they work under-the-hood so learning new languages starts to become trivial.
However, I wouldn't said that creating virtual machine with custom instruction set, low level fixed math optimizations and pic related 3D renderer weren't that complicated.(https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S54534457#p54541220)
>>
SE > CS
>>
File: 200_s.gif (13 KB, 307x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
13 KB, 307x200
>>55597920
>summa cum laude
>cum lord
>>
>>55598531
this post hit me, almost in the same situation
how the FUCK do you make friends when you are suddenly put in a 100-200 student amphitheater?
most people know each other by living at student appartments or by being friends before coming to university.
>>
>>55600296
You talk to people, it's as easy as that. No way in hell there can be people in college without friends
>>
>>55600409
first day i introduced myself to a couple people and some introduced themselves to me, but we didnt arrange to go out for a coffee or anything like that.
best ive got is a couple people that i dont go out with but i sometimes talk to at lectures because we needed company for some team project

only people i hang out with are some neighbours

>you talk to people, it's as easy as that
i just reread your post and realised how retarded it is. lol funny fucking normie.
>>
>>55600409
IM 24 years old,most of the kids there don't want to fucking talk to any one older than they are unless you are buying them drugs and alcohol.
>>
>>55597920
Summa cum laude means fucking nerd, not capable worker. You probably can't hold a conversation for more than 30 seconds IRL
>>
>>55600851
Fucking normies reeeeeeee
>>
>>55597333
Considering I'm making 6 figures and getting shittons of equities right out of college? No.
>>
>>55598503
DIE CIS SCUM
>>
File: batman_sad_rain.gif (469 KB, 294x219) Image search: [Google]
batman_sad_rain.gif
469 KB, 294x219
>>55597333

I got an IT degree, from a shitty college. Like we had two classes that were basically just A+ training. College is only worthwhile if you're going for a valid degree at a GOOD school. Otherwise I wouldn't waste your time. Should have listened to my mom and just went to C

Currently almost three years out of college I work in a service desk and all my coworkers are either old, women (who are old or fat), veterans and minorities. Basically telltale signs you work in a low status shit job.
>>
>>55601372

*should have listed to my mom and went to CC and got a radiologist tech cert

accidentally cleared my sentence out oops
>>
>>55597333
I got a IT technician trade degree. Kinda regret it since I work as a software dev and get discriminated against hard.
>>
>>55600851
who fucking cares it's computer science
>>
>>55600409
lel normie
>>
>>55598763
Why are there VMs in fucking Garry's Mod?
>>
>>55601409
Then why did you try to use your CS education as a way to get into the janitorial business? Perhaps you should have thought a bit harder about it and went with a CS career path.
>>
>>55601436
I believe you can write code with the wiremod addon to do stuff like move items around or display stuff on virtual screens.
>>
>>55601436
Why not?
By VMs I mean Expression 2 + EGP and StarFall but also ZCPU which works like real processor having some custom instruction set, physical and virtual memory, interrupts etc and my own virtual machine.
I played gameboy(IIRC) games on some gameboy emulator too. And I remember a guy who made x86 emulator and tried to install DOS on it, it took him few hours. Fun times.
>>
>>55601439
What i don't have a CS degree.
>>
>>55601574
We know that pajeet. Janitors are not computer scientists.
>>
>>55601492
That's not a VM (virtual machine) though.

>>55601569
Well if it's just gameboy emulators and all that then i understand, that's kind of cool.
>>
>>55597333
My choice was between a CS degree or a 2100 hours sales assistant course.
At least a CS degree is somewhat useful
>>
>>55597333
no. I regret not just going for it originally. started in engineering and ended up hating it. Wasted a lot of time (and money) pursing it. If I would have just gone for CS from the get go I probably would have been golden. Oh well, I have a pretty good career now.
>>
>>55602376
I started CE last semester, thought i was going to love embedded programming and electronic since i pretty much grew up building shit with logical gates. BUT now i hate everything low level, it's so much nicer to just do high level coding
>>
>>55597333
Nope. Got a job doing HFT at a top IB in NYC, 85k base. 20-30k bonus.
>>
>>55602512
That's minimum wage in NYC, wont even be enough for living in Manhattan
>>
>>55602566
I spend 20% of my income on rent. I live a ten minute walk from midtown where I work.
>>
>>55602579
the rent by itself is not relevant. The {rent + bills + insurance + taxes + ...} is what matters.
>>
>>55602609
Yes I know about personal finance. NYC is not too expensive to live in if you make over 70k a year. I save a lot of money and max my 401k. Not sure why you're telling me I'm unable to do something that myself and thousands of people do. lmao
>>
>>55597504
If you're scared of H1B prajeet dipshits, then you're a shitty programmer.
>>
>>55597333
What do people mean by getting "a" CS degree? Doesn't it split off into a lot of different sub categories and you get a degree in that? Keep in mind that I'm not sure if I'm wording this correctly.
>>
>be CS degree pollack
>was given only 2 interviews in total with UK companies in the last 2 months
bros I don't think I'm going to make it
>>
>>55598711
pics of your sister?
>>
Ok, since CS degree are laughed at in U.S.A. what should I say when someone ask me what is my degree ?
I'm learning programming. But it look a little more advanced than what people do in CS. It's a five year degree btw.
>>
going to a cc for computer programming & analysis
could anybody recommend me any books or lectures to get a headstart?
>>
>>55602758
diplom engineer?
>>
>>55602696
Yeah, but it's still called CS, just like whether you go statistics or geometry, it's still called math.
>>
>>55602766
how to kill yourself in 21 days would be the best for you.
>>
>>55602797
That makes sense, thanks a bunch man.
>>
Good thing I got recruited for a job straight after HS. Getting a CS degree kills your soul.
>>
>>55602793
Isn't the engineer degree even lower in the scale than the CS degree?
I just want that when I tell people what is my degree they just go "whoa" and ask me if I'm already working for google.
>>
>>55602840
People who "are already working for google" either have CS or math degrees, and mostly master's and higher. BSc at google exist but are rarer. Of course, IT is IT.
>>
>>55602512
Fuuuuck this makes me depressed, you're literally making almost 10x as much as I can hope for, because you live in USA. Fucking economic disparity.
>>
>>55602970
where do you live? cost of living always plays a huge part
>>
>>55597360
But this isnt about CE.
>>
>>55602970
I make 20% more than that guy when converting to USD, and I don't live in the US. You have only yourself to blame.
>>
>>55602990
Central EU, the average pay here is monthly 1000€ after taxes, and I'm aware of the cost of living, but even then you are left with at least 50k a year. And food, gas electronics... is probably even cheaper in US. The only thing we got is free healthcare and I guess free college, and the country is 99% white which is always a plus.
>>
What am I meant to do if I don't know what sort of career I want, so I don't know what sort of degree I should be working towards? I was thinking about getting a computer science degree but I have absolutely no idea what sort of courses I would take. I've looked into things but I really don't know.
>>
>>55603128
yes, healthcare and college are extremely expensive here, so having a higher wage is offset by things like that.
>>
There are a ton of jobs for CS with government contractors. Hunt for ones that require citizenship and you only need to worry about some manager who thinks a desperate for a job, 2 year "degree," game developer can replace you to save money.
>>
>>55602512
NYC dev jobs are well known to be shit

also mad expensive, newark nj here shit hole of the state still mad expensive

85k in NYC is starting for US navy civilian engineering jobs, dont be impressed

still no matter what U.S jobs definitely pay more than EU jobs, less tax, cheaper life

>Do I regret getting a CS degree?
I haven't finished my degree and I get job offers on a monthly basis, currently working two jobs at 60hrs a week at 23USD per hour

how could I regret this?
>>
No. I've got a good job that I enjoy in infosec doing programming but not code monkey shit
>>
>>55603409
>cheaper life
I dont know why educated americans fall for that meme. Most stuff is cheaper in EU e.g. rent, insurances (10€/month), subscriptions, healthcare (even including taxes)
>>
>not getting a degree in both CE and CS

fucking normies
>>
>>55597333
Yes.

I could get physics degree instead but I've fallen to CS meme.
>>
is CS the correct degree to get if I want to into digital signal processing?
>>
>>55603614
lmao unless you get your doctorate you wont be able to find a job with a physics degree
>>
>>55603631
No, CE prob
>>
>>55603638
All banks and financial firms offer jobs to physics grads.
>>
>>55603648
but I need to learn loads of math to even start with DSP.
>>
>>55603471
Gas is cheaper, pc parts, and taxes I think are lower in USA. Also food is about the same, but I wouldn't eat the shit they sell in their supermarkets.
>>
>>55603664
let me guess, 300k starting?
>>
>>55597333
Yes. Should have gone into social studies instead.
>>
>>55600296
>most people know each other by living at student appartments or by being friends before coming to university.
Forget about this. For whatever reason it's really common to feel like everyone knows each other already when at a new place with new people, but not only is it most of the times not true, and everyone is simply trying to meet new people just like you, but also, when they actually happen to know each other, they won't think you're weird for talking to them, it's perfectly normal. People talk to new people.
As a general rule in life, if you don't believe it's weird for you to be talking to another person, most of the times they won't believe that either. The problem is when you go into the situation already thinking that you're doing something wrong. Have confidence in what you think is normal, and people will think that too.
>>
>>55602837
>Going uni/college kills your soul
>>
>>55603155
Anyone? Or does this question belong on /adv/? I thought it'd be best to ask here considering I wouldn't mind some sort of technology-related career but I don't know.
>>
>>55604096
dont waste your time or money until you actually know what you want to do. Theres really no way to figure that out. I'm 27 and i still haven't figured it out. although i do have my CS degree and a decent career, something is still missing and I question if I want to do this forever
>>
>>55602725
Where do you live?
In Wrocław it's easy as fuck to get an IT job.
>>
>>55604360
Kurwa!
>>
File: 1409389388923.jpg (188 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1409389388923.jpg
188 KB, 1280x720
>>55604096
Just start programming. I have a CS degree and work as a developer (no regrets there.) I had been programming as an amateur for a few years before I started my college work though.

A lot of people go into CS because there's reasonably good job security and I don't see anything wrong with that. But CS also has a very high attrition rate because only people with a certain type of personality are going to want to (a) finish the program and (b) work as a developer.

This isn't like certain fields of engineering where you need expensive equipment to get your hands dirty. Anyone can install gcc or python and start tinkering immediately.

Now there is a distinction between computer science and programming. CS as an academic subject is basically applied mathematics. So you will have to be reasonably competent in math if you want a CS degree from a reputable school. Just a heads up.

>>55603409
I love programming but there is no way I could do 60 hours a week. That's a pretty impressive work ethic. I'm currently working ~50 (including my drive) and that's about all I can manage. I have some health issues though.
>>
>>55604096
In a bachelor degree you dont really have that much room for any spezialization no matter where you go and when you reach the point where you have to chose where you go you will already have enough background knowlegde.
Nobody is expecting you to make educated decisions at the start of your degree, which is why basically everywhere you will spend ~1 year just learning the basics for a broad area.
>>
>>55605225
>>55604136
>>55605310
Thanks guys, it really means a lot to me.
>>
>>55597920
I suspect you just don't know how to present yourself in an interview. I know at least a couple of dozen guys with CS degrees from UC Berkeley and every one of them has a great job in the field.
>>
Got an IT degree but never really used it dunno what specifically to do . Never really made good connections I'm too anxious and it's really limited what I've tried to find where I can do stuff but not have people bother me.
>>
>>55605743
I just feel like I'm not good enough for the jobs around in the field specifically too. College wasn't very hands on.
>>
>>55597333
>6 figure starting salary
nope
>>
>>55605743
It's impossible for you to ever do anything related to IT now. All of the time between graduating college and the job you're applying for may as well have been spent in prison as far as employers are concerned.
>>
>>55605927
Yeah I'll never be good enough for employers no matter what I do. They always want the perfect people I can never be or really really cheap labor from india or something.
>>
Yes and no.

It sucks that I had to spend so much time and money to get one. I didn't really learn anything that I couldn't have picked up by just doing actual work over a couple years.

I do however enjoy it's benefits, such as having a job in the industry I wanted that doesn't pay a poo2loo salary.
>>
>>55603409
>NYC dev jobs are well known to be shit

Well that's probably the biggest sweeping generalization I've ever heard.

SV > Seatle = NYC > Everywhere else in US
>>
>>55597920
Give it time. It took me 6 months to get a 54k/yr job which is low stress and I am happy with, despite it admittedly being somewhat modest pay for a CS grad.
>>
File: pokecry.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
pokecry.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
>>55597920
>>55606674

>TFW Never gonna have a good job because graduated 5 years ago.
>>
>>55606748
Well, there might still be hope. Do you have anything to prove an employer you have retained that knowledge/haven't been a degenerate for the whole time? For example, have you been working on projects? I haven't tried this and probably can't recommend it, but if you get desperate, you might even be able to lie about work experience for a fake company. Make a website, get some friends for work contacts?
>>
>>55603802
so much this. listen to this guys you impossible friendless college fellows.
>>
>>55600843
bullshit.

>>55600755
if you don't talk to people, don't complain about them not talking to you. At least say hello.
>>
>>55606890
it's either make some shit up and get a job you really don't deserve. or come clean and get one that you do deserve, but will likely be shittier. make something work, man
>>
>>55606890
I never really went much into programming I wasn't that good and didn't know if I should pursue it and end up just another code monkey. Nor did I ever really have any good ideas for something like projects. Closest thing I have is just the fact that I built my desktop which doesn't really mean jack shit anymore. I aint got any friends.
>>
>>55606969
I also don't know if what I know is ever good enough because there's always these perfect candidates that they'd rather listen to.
>>
Based math master race checking in.

I can learn in a week what it takes you faggots a semester to learn.
>>
File: img000013.jpg (934 KB, 2150x3036) Image search: [Google]
img000013.jpg
934 KB, 2150x3036
>>55600296
jut be yourself
>>
>>55606939
Listen motherfucker.
Im not some timid beta that trembles at the thought of interacting with people so believe me when I say, kids at college stick with people around their age. You think differently than these kids and probably have different obligations. When I get done with my classes I have to get ready for work. Other than study, what responsiblities do you think 17-19 yo have? Drinking and partying and wasting their time. Someone in their 20s still at college or returning are immediately dismissed by them and they just think you are losers trying to turn their lives around or something.
>>
File: img000014.jpg (688 KB, 2150x3036) Image search: [Google]
img000014.jpg
688 KB, 2150x3036
>>55607027
>>
>>55606461
SV? Did you mean SF?
>>
>>55607030
you're not special.
>>
>>55607138
Ok little man
>>
>>55597920
Studying in a mid tier school with no degree yet but have a full time nice job.
>>
>>55607079
SF is a shithole. SV is much better, and where the actual jobs are.
>>
>>55603802
It's weird in Scandinavia though.
>>
>>55598711
She sounds like female version of me. Hook me up. Would dump gf for her.
>>
>>55608942
>>>/tumblr/
>>
> Six figure salary
> Internationally recruited
> Riding a constant wave of the future

Oh yeah. A lot to regret.
>>
>>55599205

omg I'm finishing out strong my last semesters so I can get a cum laude title
>>
>>55609117
Doing it wrong. You must finish hard (or fast) so you can get cum laude.
>>
>>55609155

but what if I want Magna cum laude?
>>
>>55597333
I did CiS which is still part of the Comp Sci department but not a Comp Sci degree. I was more focused towards network/system administration and business.

Even though it's a lot more dealing with people than say web design or a programming job I still enjoy what I do, most days...
>>
>>55603631
Honestly, you should look up some companies that do stuff with DSP and check their job postings to see what they look for. Or email their HR department. Also consider talking to an adviser for a local university.

Or just take life advice from Anons on 4chan. That works too.
>>
>>55602797
Would an associates degree in web design be called a CS degree?
>>
File: 1455245678300.jpg (80 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
1455245678300.jpg
80 KB, 766x960
>>55597333
To some degree yes. The faults with it become painfully obvious once you hit the real world:
-Not enough trade skill for real world programming
-Not enough math for proper data analytics work
-Not enough EE for low level work
$diety help you should you hit graduation without having a relevant internship (and my college sucked horse dick at hooking up students with internships). CS is really the liberal arts of the IT world: it doesn't mean much without the recipient going out of their way to specialize it or make it meaningful.

When most people say "CS" what they really mean is software engineering, which is a lot more focused on programming.

I'm eight years into it. I've lost the passion, but I can't really see myself doing anything else. Sorry for the blogging.
>>
>>55609760
Would a floor washing degree be called a rocket engineering PhD?
>>
>>55597333
Why would I regret a degree that got me a good career?
>>
First time I went to college I majored in CS but dropped out after a year because I didn't give a fuck about school at the time.

Now I'm going for physics but I'm super tempted to change majors to CE with a minor in CS or physics. Don't know what to do.
>>
>>55610161
Because you could have gotten the same good career without wasting 4 years of your life.
>>
Self-taught here. Have had recruiters after me, I've never done a technical interview before, but I have a good CV, can design and implement OOP well too.

But I'm still teaching myself algos and data structs, and on some challenges on hackerrank for example, even the easy tier things take me a lot of thinking like a good 20-30 minutes.

Am I just a shitter? I hope I could survive in a real software dev job
>>
I was a software developer for 5 years, than I become a sysadmin for 7 years. I studied CS at a good school.

To be honest, CS makes you a good sysadmin. You have to be really well rounded, and have the ability to do practically anything OK. Jack of all trades, master of none. It's not as bad as you think it is, there is senior level guys sitting in the NOC making $200k+
>>
>>55601629
Back to work pajeet
>>
>>55610934

What languages did you start with and what projects did you do to help yourself learn? Any advice for a person just beginning to learn coding? Starting with C++.
>>
File: 1466995775965.jpg (58 KB, 563x638) Image search: [Google]
1466995775965.jpg
58 KB, 563x638
>>55597920
Replying because haha you fucked up bad if you can't find a job
>>
>>55611173

C++, played around with dx and opengl some, made console programs, never did much hardcore algorithmic or technical code.

Mostly high level OOP which I think is my weakness. I am just getting into hardware now, recently read about address modes and stuff, it was fun.

As for starting with C++, download Bruce Eckel's free books Thinking in C++ vol 1 and 2 from his website for free.

They teach c++98, but desu so does every university. He is a good teacher and you can learn the language features quite nicely.

Good references are Lippman & Moo's C++ Primer, and Josuttis's C++ Standard Library Tutorial and Reference

Also, dont be a scrub and learn maths at 24 like I did, get into at least some level of mathematical thinking.

Don't neglect algorithms and data structures, they are actually quite fun too
>>
>>55600296
>how the FUCK do you make friends when you are suddenly put in a 100-200 student amphitheater?
I know, right? Most people come into lectures late with their friends too. Hell, some of my classes actually had 400 to 500 people. Really hard to find friends when you can't even figure out who sits where
>>
>>55597333
>Did you regret getting a CS degree?
Nope, I never went college to begin and I'm making six figures as a lead in the midwest. Got fired from my first management position for laughing at my underlings for me being their boss when they went to college and I didn't. I try to keep my mouth shut now.
>>
Honest question: Why would you get a CS degree? Can't you get a job just by having the skills? If you can't, you're a loser.
>>
File: face slutty nazi cosplayers.jpg (148 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
face slutty nazi cosplayers.jpg
148 KB, 900x900
>>55612675
>Why would you get a CS degree?

Job security. Once the job market cools down companies will stop hiring every faggot with a github and will become much more selective. That's when having a degree will come in handy.
>>
>>55597333
>Not doing a double in Computer Engineering
>Wanting to be a '1337 haxor pro grammar'
>No understanding the Hardware you're writing the code for
Double CE/CS Master Race reporting thing, AMA, reddit.
>>
>>55597333
making 130k/year + benefits one year out of uni, so that's nice. maybe when i pay off my loans i'll be able to properly enjoy it. i wish i had majored in something else since the CS stuff was easy to learn on my own.
>>
>>55607185
It depends. I know a software developer commutes from SV to SF on a daily basis. SV no longer holds a monopoly in IT. The entire bay area is now a tech hub.
>>
>>55604360
[spoiler]Podlaskie, just fuck my shit up senpai[/spoiler]

I was mostly searching in the UK though since I meant to move for a long time now
>>
>>55612675
There are no CS jobs that don't require a degree.
>hurrrfff y u get neurosurgery degree???? jus av skil and b a janitor XD totaly da saem
Kill yourself.
>>
>>55613086
Truly we are the master race. What you planning to do with yours?
>>
>>55612675
>Can't you get a job just by having the skills?
there are institutions all over the world which specialize in checking wether has "the skills" in a specific field.
in exchange for some time and a fee, these institutions check wether you have the skills, and if you do you get a piece of paper which says you do.
why would an employer waste their time to think of fancy whiteboard interviews and look up your shitty github projects, when they could simply look at that piece of paper?
>>
>>55613086
Why would you get a double degree in CS, babby CS and babby EE when you could instead get a double degree in CS and EE, or a double degree in CS and math, both of which are infinitely more valuable than a CS/CE double degree and only a bit more valuable than a pure CS degree?
>>
>tfw 1 more year left for my aerospace degree
>doing an aerospace internship right now and realize I fucking hate the industry
>only classes I enjoy anymore are random lit classes I take for fun and my cs minor

FML, I could have been doing a comfy 80 credit hour CS degree with an EE minor and enough room for unrelated fun / interesting classes.

Just hope I can find an uni that will let me do a CS masters with my shitty aerospace degree.

Any one who wants to work in industry needs to get an internship in their field ASAP. Figure out what you don't want to do before you're balls deep in already.
>>
File: dontmindthenigger.png (430 KB, 819x605) Image search: [Google]
dontmindthenigger.png
430 KB, 819x605
Does this look promising?
>>
>>55597333
Yes, that's why I'm doing EE grad school now.
>>
>>55618830
If you want to be the little nigger in the back being ordered around by pajeet, sure.
>>
I do. My second semester there, I was accused of cheating because there was no way a first year student would be able to code that well without outside help.

I had job good offers before going off to school. But now I'm wasting away 4 years of my life and accuring 40k+ in debt for a shitty piece of paper. The only thing I've learned so far is how to deal with corrupt professors and administration who are power tripping and have nothing to lose.
>>
>>55619092
>going to a community high school disguised as a college
>>
>>55619048
Wtf I hate CS now. I am #/gd/missile now.
>>
>>55597333
Nope. It was my key to info sec. I love my life.
>>
>all these C#/java/bytecode virtual machine bitch language jobs in my area
>>
>>55619092
How the fuck can they accuse you on such tenuous grounds?
>>
>>55619488
Because he's going to pajeet high school. Not even the worst community college is like that.
>>
>>55597920
LOL HOW DO YOU FUCK UP THIS MUCHHHHHH
>>
Anyone that's freelancing after getting a CS degree?

How'd it go? What do you miss from companies and what do you feel comfortable with? Is it worth it to sacrifice a higher paying job for a comfortable lifestyle?
>>
>>55619894
You'll typically work less (unless you go the pajeet route) being employed as opposed to freelancing, with very few exceptions that usually have nothing to do with CS.
>>
I did CS because I spent all my time on sites like this, and because I played video games

I scraped through and got the lowest grade, and now I do temp admin work for a bank
>>
>>55597333
>Did you regret getting a CS degree?
I'm doing my PhD right now
>>
>>55621373
Cool. What subject? I'm about to submit my master's thesis.
>>
I have the chance to go to MIT.
Is the CS is a meme thing a meme?
I'm interested in AI and algorithms in general, but lots of stuff I've already taught myself.
gee's opinion?
>>
>>55622067
Are you seriously going to decline an acceptance to MIT because of what fucking /g/ tells you?
>>
>>55622067
I'd go to MIT even if that meant learning about transgender studies
>>
>>55622635
Even Clockmehd can get into MIT. Maybe it used to have some prestige, but it's a joke of a university these days.
>>
File: fox-and-grapes.jpg (234 KB, 688x1434) Image search: [Google]
fox-and-grapes.jpg
234 KB, 688x1434
>>55622664
Those darned grapes!
>>
>>55622635
no
I'm genuinely interested in physics and CS, and I'd like to hear different opinions..
I'm worried about having to learn things I'm not interested in (CS) or in case of choosing physics, missing out on the interesting CS things.
Also I was really good at Informatics (European CS) in school, but mediocre in physics.
>>
>>55622938
You could try going for statistical physics. It opens the way, in CS, to ML, RO, robotics, cbio, and a few other things.
>>
>>55597920
Wow. I went to a no name shit school for CS, had a shit GPA, and I got job offers easily. Being a normie ftw?
>>
>>55615771
>why would an employer waste their time to think of fancy whiteboard interviews and look up your shitty github projects, when they could simply look at that piece of paper?

Some employers don't just want to look at your skills. They want to know the way you think.
>>
Any other students getting ready for the internship recruiting season?

I've received one offer so far for a hedge fund doing quant research, but I'm mainly trying to focus on tech companies this season as finance culture isn't really for me.

Also got referrals into FB, Google, MS, and a few others so those might go well.
>>
File: 1460270822764.jpg (94 KB, 703x703) Image search: [Google]
1460270822764.jpg
94 KB, 703x703
>>55623314
kys normie
>>
Is a degree (bachelors) in software engineering looked at more or less favorably than a degree in computer science nowadays?
>>
>>55623608
Equal, but a SE degree will prepare you to be a good code monkey better, so you'll have an easier time rising up the ladder.
>>
>>55623608
Depends on the job. If you want to be a code monkey then sure that SE degree is the golden banana of success.
>>
>>55597360
>its the same guy that makes those I love my ps vita threads episode
>>
File: autism.png (292 KB, 791x353) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
292 KB, 791x353
>>55597333
I regret working on mine and wasting so much time on it. I don't give a shit about the science part.
>>
>>55597333
Yeah
at the same time, I can't possibly figure out what should I have studied instead

huh huh

>>55597920
Prolly a bunch of lies, either you dropped out or are still in high school cause lol
>>
CE or SE anons
>>
>>55625469
>jack of 2 trades, babby at both or pajeet incorporated anons
Jeeze louise!
>>
>>55597333
Not yet
>>
math master race
that's why I'm getting my masters in cs starting in the fall
>>
How do I git gud at programming? I'm taking Comp Sci III in my school right now as a computer engineering major. I can't code for shit. I don't know where to put what.
>>
>>55626588
>Comp sci III
God I hate schools that can't name things. Calculus 3 is pushing it, but seriously fucking CS3? That's what they call it?
>>
>>55627169
it's only because it has to be taken in sequence
-Introduction
-Data Structures
-Code Fluency
>>
>>55602646
>computer engineering
>doing programming
What the fuck happened
>>
>>55626588
drop computers entirely and pick something respectable like ee
>>
>>55627190
At my school I have to take Principles of Computer and Information Security before I can take Cryptography. Having a prerequisite doesn't excuse calling it something like computer security 1 and 2. I HATE IT.
>>
>>55619371
>info sec
>>
>>55610934
>algos and data structs
>>
>>55609825
kek
>>
>>55627205
I can't anon. I'm a semester from getting my bachelor's then moving straight to M.S.
Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.