[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wanna start a server to just store files between two computers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: index.jpg (4 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4 KB, 300x300
I wanna start a server to just store files between two computers (starting a small studio) and it would be nice to have a place to just throw and share files.
I was thinking of getting a NAS My Cloud. But I'm not sure if this would fit my needs. I dont need any sort of software or interface, just a place grab and share files with one other computer.

Will this fit my needs? What would be better? Around $300-$350 is my budget
>>
>>55591768
yes that's exactly what you want to get
>>
>>55591768
what is a good sides of NAS never used one before
>>
>>55592022

Quick, dedicated, and high capacity file sharing and storage between all computers on a network. That's pretty much it.
>>
With the WD MyCloud EX 2 does WD technically have access to my files? I was reading some articles and they mentioned having to make an account for off-site access.

I understand needing some way to log in for authentication but they made it sound like it was some WD specific login.
>>
>>55591768
>Around $300-$350 is my budget
Well, you'll get exactly what you pay for.

If you're interested in something serious, go look into something like the FreeNAS Mini:

https://www.ixsystems.com/freenas-mini/
>>
>>55592097
NAS box with WD (dropbox like) cloud service.
Not sure if you get same amount of cloud as the device. My guess would be there is a Folder for Cloud service and get X amount free with option to buy more storage space.
>>
>>55592139
Do you have experience with something like this?
>>
Can i make one of these on my own using a shitty PC setup?
>>
Would you buy a prebuilt PC?
Don't buy a prebuilt NAS.
>>
>>55591768
>$300-$350
PC Engines APU2C4 with a 500 GB Samsung 950 Pro or 2 large USB3 HDDs.
>>
just buy a drobo or something. dont bother with something like freenas or zfs, and for fucks sake do not let some retard talk you into using something stupid like a raspberry pi.

something like a wd mycloud works fine, not going to give you amazing speeds so dont plan on using it for something like a cache drive but it works well for a share. just make sure it doesnt connect to the internet
>>
There are a few commercial access points that you can get that I am pretty sure have eSATA or maybe USB (not sure) ports on them that allow you to connect a HDD or SSD to then for a fileshare. I think they assign DHCP to them but it doesn't really matter. You just assign the IP and name and have your file sgare right there. Don't waste your money a computer dedicated to file share, it isn't worht it.
>>
>>55591768
Buy a router with a USB port.
Plus in a TB external HDD
Total cost: <100
>>
A pi with an external HDD sounds like it would work desu senpai
>>
>>55591768
A simple NAS is exactly what you're looking for.
>>
>>55594536
>>55595145
>contradictory statements two posts distant
I don't get why it is such a bad idea though.

>>55594922
That sounds interesting but is it feasible or are you joking
Not OP btw
>>
>>55591768
>"My" Cloud
kek I bet you are a windumb
>>
What about the stuff that, that linus tech tips dude made a video about. I think he made a NAS of his own then installed some software for it.
>>
>>55591768
Been using Synology NAS (3 of 'em) for three years now - great...
Fast (2 or 4 gb ports depends on model)
Support NFS (WD does NOT! - they removed it a few udates ago and son't plan on bringingit back)
Great web-based UI
Scads of addobs (mail server, git, svn, etc.)
Big ecosystem - third party app support

Just stay away from WD... (voice of experience)
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.