[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes Linux so terrible at running games and Photoshop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: 1440684808251.jpg (87 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1440684808251.jpg
87 KB, 540x960
What makes Linux so terrible at running games and Photoshop?
Is it irrevocably broken?
>>
What makes Windows so terrible at being secure and stable?
Is it irrevocably broken?
>>
>>55591226
The problem is that you're trying to run programs on an operating system the developers didn't intend for them to be ran on.

Software explicitly developed for Linux works just fine.
>>
Since nobody uses Linux outside internet servers and as headless rendering machines, nobody is going to make software for it, thus nobody uses Linux.
>>
>>55591226
When a game has been fine-tuned to Linux it runs better than in Windows. Therefore Linux is awesome for gaming. Game companies are just too lazy to do this. Same with Adobe, they think like a grandmother and don't want to change anything major.
>>
>>55591368
i heard that CS:GO works worse on linux than on windows. i don't know if its true but it's pretty funny considering steamOS and that
>>
>>55591368
No one cares about gaming on Linux, because (with the exception of NEETs on /g/) the majority of Linux users aren't manchildren videogamers. They use Linux because it is either required for their job, or they find it easier to develop with, or because it's more secure, or a combination of these.

There's just not a market for gaming on Linux, because Linux users don't care about gaming, and game devs aren't going to waste money developing games when there are only like 20 Linux users interested in them.

They know that manchildren overwhelmingly prefer Windows, so that's what the develop for.
>>
>>55591477
Why should developers care about people not buying their games?
>>
>>55591226
>What makes Linux so terrible at running games and Photoshop?
Android is pretty good at doing this stuff
>>
This NEET againg with his shitpost, every single day.
Consider suicide senpai,
>>
>>55591563
Because developers need to eat too lol

Usually when a game is officially ported over to Linux, it's because the devs are really passionate about their game and want everyone to play it. They don't care if it sells poorly on Linux because they know they have fans that use Linux and they want to please them too.
>>
>>55591226
Depends on the game, if the game was designed for multiple platforms it'll work fine, same as any other program like photoshop.

I short, you decide if you want to support good practices like abstracting your code and using tools that doesn't makes you depend on one platform or if you want to support lock-ins ignoring the simple fact that different people may like different things.
>>
>>55591597
No, let me rephrase it:
Why should developers care about the group of people (manchildren) very likely to play, but not buy, their games?
>>
>>55591477
I think for a platform to grow it needs to be bundled with hardware, at this moment it's very hard for linux to grow on the desktop if a big number of computers doesn't comes bundled with it.

Regarding the developers, most of the video game industry is practically trained into using microsoft's APIs, but the mentality of no supporting a platform with an small ammount of users just creates a vicious circle because less support makes harder for people to use that platform.

Regarding the linux users not caring about gaming this is an empty claim, if you want to be taken seriously don't generalize like that.
>>
>>55591643
> very likely to play, but not buy, their games?
You cannot know this unless you read minds though.
>>
>>55591265
It is secure and stable if you don't use it like a faggot
>>
>>55591709
Well if you're a regular Linux user, you sure as hell don't play many games. You might have a few favorites that "just work" with Wine, or even less likely were developed to run natively on Linux. But you're extremely limited as far as gaming selection comes, so if gaming is a big deal to you, you're either not using Linux or you're not smart.
>>
The phrase you guys are looking for is "niche market."

Its just not enough people play a large variety of games and use Linux. And Im pretty sure they find workarounds for problems anyway, any game with a large mod community does.

Its just not as beneficial for getting new players and keeping old to develop for linux than to say fix current issues with the core game, or develop DLC.
>>
>>55591746
It's ironic how the usual argument for using windows is "it just works".

Also when a piece of software or hardware fails on windows people blames the provider of that component but never fault of windows, but it something fails on linux it's fault of the whole ecosystem and a proof that the open source model is inferior.
>>
>>55591796
Also, this
>>
>>55591289
This.

>>55591587
Is a result of
>>55591289
>>
>>55591746
That's BS, I should be able to run whatever malware I come across without it causing me any problems.
>>
>>55591778
>But you're extremely limited as far as gaming selection comes.
True to certain extent but i think the part that is wrong is the word "extremely".

>you're either not using Linux or you're not smart.
Not all people likes windows, also liking windows is not an obligation. In fact i consider that supporting microsoft's anticompetitive practices is not an smart thing to do, competition is good for the customers so those who decide to play the games available for linux and rewarding the developers who use multi-platform tools is in fact helping everyone to have a choice in the future by helping to break the vicious circle.
>>
>>55591226
This is pasta but i think it's good:

Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
https://steamdb.info/linux/
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
https://www.youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
https://www.youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
>>
>>55591796
Why not just develop your game cross-platform from the beginning? It's not like they don't do this already for consoles anyway
>>
>>55591949
This is precisely the answer, supporting lock-ins is a bad idea for everyone except for the company that creates those APIs and formats.
>>
>>55591226
wtf is it serious happening on /g/????

somebody is really asking why a software produced for an operating system isn't working in another OS? really guys? really????????
>>
File: Captura.png (101 KB, 393x307) Image search: [Google]
Captura.png
101 KB, 393x307
I only use Windows for pic related, for anything else is can't compete with Ubuntu.
>>
If something like Vulcan became standard than Linux gaming would be no worse than windows.
>>
>>55591991
>Playing Quake II On Windows
>>
>>55591226
Yes, as bad as Windows is, everything about the way Linux works is worse.
>>
>>55592010
I dodn't have the original disc, i only could find an .exe with the gog version, works like crap becasue i can't load saved games.
>>
File: 1468169779574.png (71 KB, 962x229) Image search: [Google]
1468169779574.png
71 KB, 962x229
>>55591974
Yep, let's hope is cheap trolling or shilling because the intention seems to be clearly rubbing that windows has better third party support, otherwise i feel bad for op, he should read more and not believe cheap propaganda.
>>
>>55591974
what do you expect from /g/ - windows 10 & gpus
>>
>>55591226
Are you too dumb to realise Photoshop and Games run on android?
>>
For games it's the fact that everybody use directx and drivers. For Photoshop it's just Adobe thinking that there is no market on loonix.
>>
>>55592457
>directx
No gamer can answer why Direct3D is supposedly better than OpenGL and Vulcan
>>
>>55592457
I bet marketing shows Adobe executives charts about Linux not being very popular among Adobe users. There might be more users if they could make the switch. Even the people who absolutely still want to use Linux, use Photoshop under Wine and charts show more users in Windows. No one can say for a fact that there would be no users if the product was available. People who stare at current charts are morons. It's like saying how there's obviously no market for flying cars since no one is buying them now, and only a few people bother to build their own with varying success.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.