[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he creates "backups" on a cheap external hd or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
>he creates "backups" on a cheap external hd or "the cloud" instead of having a raid system
>>
I am developing a cloud storage thing using ssh, unison (rsync, but better) and watchdog (uses the best filewatching protocol for whatever OS you're on) that does regular backups to an external HDD. You can use it with RAID.
>>
>>55590414
>Backups

Why would I backup animu? Of course I run a massive RAID6.
>>
>>55590414
A system that's always connected, or even worse always synced, is not a proper backup.
>>
>>55590527
this

Raid isn't a back up.
>>
7/10 I was about to reply before I thought about it and realized you're a troll

saged though as this isn't worth a bump
>>
File: NDOC_magnetic_tape_library.jpg (76 KB, 640x507) Image search: [Google]
NDOC_magnetic_tape_library.jpg
76 KB, 640x507
>Raid
>Not having a tape room
>>
>>55590414
>tfw your raid gets ransomware
lmaoing at your life
>>
>>55590414
>raid
>backup
Are you fucking retarded?

R A I D
A
I
D

I S
S

N O T
O
T

A

B A C K U P
A
C
K
U
P
>>
>>55590414
Do you have any idea what RAID means, dumb /v/ kiddie?
>>
>>55592437
Redundant array of inexpensive disks. It's useful when you deal with workstations/servers that stay on 24/7 where the disks can actually physically break making you lose all your data.
Backups on the other hand solve the problem of software corruption: you can just restore from a previous backup if pajeet gets a ransomware or something like a broken update fucks up your system.
Backups are most effective when offsite, tho.
Another good solutions is using snapshots as in VMs, and that's where file systems like BTRFS get useful.
>>
>>55592604
>Backup
>RAID
Educate yourself retard
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/RAID
>>
regular raid isn't even good
your data still gets fucked up because it only checks shit when a disk fails. Thats why you need to be using shit like btrfs
>>
>>55592251
RAID10 is pretty good for backup. I just pop another drive in if one of the mirrored drives dies and it quickly rebuilds. Costs more money than other types of RAID though, but I'd rather shell out than crash and burn.
>>
>>55590414
>raid
>backup

are you stupid?
>>
>>55594083
>finish work
>save file
>little brother deletes it from the PC
>gone from mirrored HDD as well
You clearly do not understand the definition of "backup", nor the reason why everyone is saying its not a replacement for backups.
>>
>>55590414
Where are you backing up your RAID system, nigger?
>>
>>55590414
>he kisses animals where they pee
>>
>>55592251
>>55594083
RAID + read-only snapshots is a backup system

RAID on a dumb FS is not
>>
>>55594136
Don't allow anyone other than yourself to access your shit then? Besides, my server is dedicated to backup, and it does nothing except store my fucking data. No one is going to be working on that machine or saving their work to it, it just sits there and scrubs the pool a few times a month until I access it to read some data or backup more shit to it.
>>
>>55594160
>X disks die
>lose all data
still not a backup system
a backup system is independent, you're just doing copies with limited disk redundency
>>
3 places your data exists (e.g., your computer + 2 backups)
2 different locations.
1 location must be online.

/thread
>>
>>55591622

serious question how much can a roll of those hold?
>>
>>55594210
>Your backup system dies
>lose all data
herp derp herf

backup is literally just redundancy + immutability

RAID is redundancy
read-only snapshots are immutability

everything boils down to the basics
>>
>>55595435
>backup system dies
>original is still there to make backup of
technically the backup should be offsite as well to avoid loss from some sort of incident or natural disaster
raid is never a backup system, it can be part of one but it alone can never be one. You still have a local point of failure.
>>
> not using Google drive
>>
>>55590414
>he saves close ups of kids on his raid system
>>
>>55595511
>the point
>your head
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.