[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LINE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1468580036.jpg (298 KB, 540x756) Image search: [Google]
1468580036.jpg
298 KB, 540x756
Why aren't you using LINE, roundeye?
>>
I removed my eyes with a clam spoon
>>
Serious question. Who uses these alternative messaging apps, why would someone sign up with one of these instead of using the default messaging app?
>>
>>55588079
1. Encryption
2. Not under NSA jurisdiction
3. Better emoji/sticker/skin/etc.

Line was successful in Japan because they really pushed the cartoon sticker thing. They even published manga with the main characters they used for their stickers.
>>
Because nobody I know uses it.
>>
>>55588079
Because they offer other services
>>
>>55588079
Depends where you live.

Here in Thailand LINE is the most popular because they used a lot of culturally significant stickers and so on.

So if you want to chat with your friends you use it.

In China I use wechat.
>>
>>55587980
I might again, just for the relife stickers
>>
>>55588079
Line is the standard in Japan.
Some people are also using facebook messenger due to everyone having iphones and facebook.

As for line, we use it for messages, phone calls, and like "skype"
>line video call with qt gf
>line phone call for free
>usual messaging
>line group for the lab mates, uni clubs, and so on.

I won't shill it too much because Line sometime closes by itself making me realize that qt gf has sent 8 messages 4 hours ago and now is pissed. And for the video, there is no sound coming from her side if she doesn't use the earphone-mic set (but I believe this is an apple issue).

Funny thing is that Line is also used in official situations : my real estate agent was communicating with me via line.
Maybe that's not so uncommon since i interned in a shitty startup that was using skype to handle the internal work related conversations, but I was surprised.
>>
>>55588284
>yfw Japan jumps from Fax to Line
>yfw the entire country being held hostage by proprietary technology

Why can't Japan do anything right?
>>
>>55588102
You are wrong. The US has the tightest consumer privacy laws for companies. That's why a almost all No-Log VPN services are based here in the US so they can get away with not logging anything.
>>
>>55588316
Japan using old tech is a meme.
I see (way too many) windows 10 Surface laptops and macbook pro everyday.
But I agree that I am pissed that the standard is some proprietary company.

Line also is implemented for windows desktops and OSX. The software is do buggy under wine that I use it exclusively on my phone.

There are also quite a bunch of Panasonic let's note (the japanese thinkpads) running linux (usually ubuntu with Unity or xfce). But I'm biased since I'm on a Science and Technology campus.
>>
>>55588316
>>55588391
I forgot to mention that before line, the communication was done by email on flip phones.

There are also few thinkpads users on the linux user group. Some of the members (not the younger generation tho) are running gentoo.
>>
>>55588389
No, Switzerland has the tightest privacy laws.

Switzerland doesn't have NSA either.

NSA can gag companies from telling customers, even after the fact, it was served search warrant (warrant canaries don't actually work; Google it).
>>
I didn't know that people still used chat programs.
>>
>>55588284
>gf
jej
>>
>>55588762
normies, reeee, get out, etc., etc.
>>
>>55588079
I don't know, because you can message over the internet? At least in my country, SMS ain't free..
>>
>>55588786
That's the only reason that makes sense to me. I don't see why anyone would hand out their personal info just so they could use hella cute stickers, and this is coming from a borderline normie.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.