[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2000 >+16 >retailers STILL list GHz as the primary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1439415537369.png (133 KB, 562x472) Image search: [Google]
1439415537369.png
133 KB, 562x472
>2000
>+16
>retailers STILL list GHz as the primary spec for a processor
>>
>>55585519
Blame intel. Clock speed is literally embedded into the product name
>>
>>55585550
It literally hasn't ever since the Pentium 4.
>>
>>55585519
>Hard drive size is still listed as one of the main specs
>Above the graphics card, battery size, wi-fi type or screen resolution
>>
>>55585570
>>Hard drive size is still listed as one of the main specs
That actually is the most practical spec, and they almost always list the RPM as well.
>>
>>55585519
If it works for nvidia with gpu, then why not cpu?
>>
>>55585580
No it fucking isn't, hard drives take 2 seconds to swap out, cost next to nothing and even normies don't give a shit these days because they do everything on the cloud.
>>
>>55585654
my normies i support tend to sync every single file including decades old archived documents to their local disk because a sync folder (like with box sync for example) is all they can comprehend.

still always ssd never hdd
>>
Serious question, how the frequency isn't relevant? What makes 2 cpu with the same frequencies so different? Please no bully
>>
>>55586000
cache size, numbers of cores, VT, HT, OC et cetera
>>
>>55586056
>OC
what ?
>>
>>55586056
Thanks
>>
>>55586096
i want my furry OC in my processor anon
>>
>>55585550
>>55585567
Prebuilts hardly ever actually advertise the actual processor model anymore. They'll say something vague like:

>Intel Core i5 4th generation processor

Which can be anything from a 4200U all the way up to a 4690K.

It's been like this for years now. Sometimes they'll even leave out the "i5" part and leave it completely to the imagination.
>>
>>55586000
Efficiency of the architecture. 4 ghz is nothing if it takes 4 billion cycles to do 1 thing
>>
>>55586153
Is there difference between amd and Intel architectures like that? I don't know a lot about it but with microcontrollers it's cisc vs risc AFAIK. I think I read that arm does one instruction every four clock cycles. But something as complex as pc cpus must have similar architecture to each other right?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.