[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Transferring from NTFS to EXT4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: vd4gAekh.png (42 KB, 395x395) Image search: [Google]
vd4gAekh.png
42 KB, 395x395
I need some guidance /g/...

I've been thinking about switching to Debian on my main desktop which will be replacing Windows 10, but I have a question as to how I can transfer all my files over to the new OS, without them getting corrupted/lost.

I have:
240gb SSD (OS)
1Tb HDD (Random shit/games)
140Gb HDD (pulled out of a DirecTV DVR for shits and giggles)
4Tb HDD (1Tb is full)
and all of them have important stuff that I want to keep on them

All of it will fit on the 4TB, and the 4TB is in an external USB enclosure, so I should be able to just copy everything on to it and move it all over. Will the fact that all my drives being NTFS mess up trying to move them over to the EXT4 filesystem?
>>
>>55582557
you dont' need to do anything anon, linux can read/write to ntfs drives just fine, and leaving it as ntfs ensures that when you take your portable drive with you, whatever computer you end up at will be able to read it.
>>
>>55582589
This is true to an extent. Tools like wine and playonlinux have a hard time working with NTFS drives.

Opie, delete shit you can easily download again. Namely games. Delete everything that won't work, namely games.

Youre going to have to download them again for them to work for Linux anyway. That should free up some space. Put everything on the 4tb, format all to EXT4 and move it back on to the original media.

You really only need what you plan on storing Linux games to be EXT4. Media like video, pictures and text will work fine in NTFS
>>
Make sure you do this or you are wasting a ton of space

https://odzangba.wordpress.com/2010/02/20/how-to-free-reserved-space-on-ext4-partitions/
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.