[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth learning XNA along with C# or should I learn another
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: 1.jpg (178 KB, 670x893) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
178 KB, 670x893
Is it worth learning XNA along with C# or should I learn another development tool since that's discontinued? Complete newbie here.
>>
File: 1453840259802.jpg (54 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
1453840259802.jpg
54 KB, 600x350
>>55579801
Xna is no longer developed by microsoft.

Instead you should learn monogame, which is very similar to xna, is currently supported and actively developed, and is multi platform. I'm working on a win/linux/mac game right now using monogame.

Use vs2015 community on win, and monodevelop on linux/mac. C# is a great language to work with and its quick to develop in. A bunch of fags will praise gamedev with c or c++, but its really not necessary unless your pushing the hardware to its limits. Also, c/c++ dev is slow and error prone.
>>
Fair enough. What about Unity though, I heard it's the shit right now, am I supposed to learn that too?
Also are there any resources that walk you through Monogame, possibly treating you like a 5 year old in the process?
>>
>>55579943
Reimers xna tutorials work for monogame. Just mix and match xna / monogame tutorials.

Fuck. Unity. Seriously. Unity forces you to use their retarded approach to game engines, doesnt allow you to do it your way, and punishes you for using a different design paradigm.

If you want to learn, do it on your own, your way, following tutorials. Start with the msdn screen manager tutorial to understand how to manage game state + screens. Make sure you know how to print to the console so you can debug basic shit, and then just build games. Try and fail alot, and learn. Its really fun.
>>
>>55579943
Give Unity a shot. Does a lot of the backend plumbing for you and tonnes of free and paid content/plugins on their asset store. Bunch of tutorials there too, ranging from absolute beginner to more advanced.
>>
>>55580059
>>55580101
I think I'll go with Monogame cause it sounds a little better. Thanks for your help, guys.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.