[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TAILS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: doing-science-photo-u1.jpg (68 KB, 1024x577) Image search: [Google]
doing-science-photo-u1.jpg
68 KB, 1024x577
So, I just got a new laptop with Windows 10, and as you would expect, it's about as secure as a sieve is watertight

I'm not going to lie, I know next to nothing about Linux/GNU. I was thinking of running something like TAILS for more sensitive things, but I've heard both good and bad things about it.

Is TAILS a good starting point? Is there something better out there that I should look into instead?
Any feedback is appreciated
>>
File: 1466688232209.png (721 KB, 830x987) Image search: [Google]
1466688232209.png
721 KB, 830x987
>>55578022
Don't start with tails. For a secure OS I would try Qubes but because both are pretty advanced, I would look elsewhere. If you really don't know what you are doing unbuntu has great support and works out of box. If you want to get your hands dirty, try debian.
>>
File: Rottweiler_hero (1).jpg (77 KB, 1216x668) Image search: [Google]
Rottweiler_hero (1).jpg
77 KB, 1216x668
>>55578418
I think I'll stay away from Debian for the time being

Is there anything wrong with tails, or is it just too complicated for starting with it?
>>
>>55578799

You don't mind that it's not persistent and that all your traffic will go through Tor?
>>
>>55579175
That's kind of the idea
>>
>>55579622
I'll most likely dual boot with Ubuntu, but there are some places where I'd prefer tails
>>
>>55579622

>the idea is to route all your traffic through a government botnet and then delete all the evidence that it happened

Retard.
>>
>Linux/GNU
>>
>>55578022
play with ubuntu for a few months
learn about babby-tier linux shit
then play with debian
learn more advanced things
then use arch and learn about the nitty-gritty, pick up a few programming languages
then use gentoo and start learning more lower level programming
then use LFS
once you've become an expert, modify the linux kernel for your own needs and then make your own userspace etc, write your own drivers, etc etc etc

that's really the only way to be secure
>>
>>55580298
Thanks for not mocking me due to my lack of skill

Guess I better start learning about programming
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.