[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you really need to know math for programming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1460146863889.png (2 KB, 186x244) Image search: [Google]
1460146863889.png
2 KB, 186x244
Do you really need to know math for programming?
>>
It helps since math is logic on steroids.
Also,
>still implying that sqrt(ab) = sqrt(a)sqrt(b) for negative integers a and b
>>
>>55577166
>1/i=i
Nope
>>
>>55577166
I would say that knowing some some higher levels of calculus, algebra and other things they have tried to teach me in university is the first step where you stop being code monkey and starts your long painful journey into software engineering.

If nothing else it helps you to develop/train the abstract engine in your head and filter out the lazy/bad students.

Also try to do anything in 3D related things without algebra. I dare you.
>>
>>55577166
It's extremely important and just helpful for many branches. For brainless code monkeys that just implement stuff that they get told to implement, it's probably not as important as for someone who actually works out original algorithms.
>>
>>55577411
doing 1/i = -i in circuitshit always feels like magic
so good
>>
don't do meth, drink coffee man
>>
>>55577481
t. webdev
>>
I do video game dev as a hobby and use math all the time. I have learned more practical mathematics doing this than I ever did in school.

You can do something with 200 lines of copy pasted code like a monkey or you can understand basic trig, that sort of thing.

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY FLIES
>>
>>55577470
>i
>Not j
>>
>>55577166
>Do you really need to know math for programming?+ 0 post omitted.
Depends on what you are programming

if you are into DSP like I am, it is impossible to work with unless you know a ton about calculus and trigonometry
>>
>>55577166
>Step 3
Nope
>>
>>55577166
It entirely depends on what you want to specialize in. 3D graphics, digital signal processing, machine learning and other memes are definitely well-suited to your cookie-cutter college grad these days with a major in CS/SE and a minor in applied mathematics/statistics.

Keep in mind that no one will ever ask you to be creating a new algorithm, only to be able to understand what's already out there.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.