[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of iris scanner?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: note7-iris.jpg (97 KB, 1162x535) Image search: [Google]
note7-iris.jpg
97 KB, 1162x535
What's the point of iris scanner?
>>
>>55571772
How is an iris scanner in any way better than a fingerprint scanner?
>>
File: biometrics-eye-scan.jpg (88 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
biometrics-eye-scan.jpg
88 KB, 1000x667
>>55571862
Because it makes you feel like you're the main character in a cool sci-fi movie even more.
>>
>>55571862
You can't dust for iris prints.
>>
>>55571862
Mimic an iris is more difficult than a fingerprint. You can use simple gel moulds and get a decent fake fingerprint. Not so easy with an iris scan.

Though i'm sure the NSA, GCHQ, etc will be able to bypass whatever security measure you implement if what you're hiding is worth the effort.
>>
>>55571862
If all you need to do is look into two circular thing and it unlocks phone instantly, I can see it being faster than finger, since a my hands get sweaty sometimes and had to unlock phone with second try
>>
File: Facebook4.jpg (62 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Facebook4.jpg
62 KB, 1200x900
Doesn't it need light? What if you wake up in the middle of the night and you need to check on that parcel from Amazon you're tracking?
>>
>>55571923
>What is infrared lighting
>>
http://mashable.com/2016/07/12/iris-scan-database/

:^)
>>
Why not just use a fucking PIN?
>>
>>55573172
What's easier, steal a PIN or tear your eyes?
>>
>>55573204
It's easier to kill you and hold open your eyelids to unlock the phone.
>>
>>55573240
>want to steal a phone
>owner has iris scan
>choke them out and whisper
>nothing personnel
>choke them slowly because I'm an edgy mother fucker
>finally crush their wind pipe
>eyes rolled into the back of their head
>cry my eyes out because I have strong emotions that I hold in so society can see how powerful I am
>I am a demon and this planet is my hell
>>
>>55572494
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>55573240
you dont even need to kill them, just drug them
>>
>>55575022
>not using the smiley with the carat nose
>>
>>55571896
>since a my hands get sweaty
filthy fat fuck maybe you shouldm't be out and about or even using a phone.
>>
>>55571923
>Screens make no light
>
>grand autismic 4
>>
>>55571883
Isn't marketing awesome?
>>
to verify that your eye is free of infections
>>
File: 1468506567136.jpg (139 KB, 1162x864) Image search: [Google]
1468506567136.jpg
139 KB, 1162x864
>>55571772
>>
>samshit gimmics

who cares exactly?
>>
>>55571772
to sell your data to goverments
>>
>>55571923
It clearly says use iris or draw pattern
>>
>that meme edge screen

Why do Samsung persists with this useless gimmick?
>>
Holy fuck that looks good. Can't wait for the note 7. Though I'm a poor fag that'll never have one
>>
>>55576778
Because it looks fucking good. I have literally never seen an s7 or s6 non edge variant because everyone gets the edge or note.
It's also something to flaunt in the future, while components will age, the design will still be a major talking point in comparison future flagships
>>
isn't this like an obvious gimmick?

it's like when they introduced the unlock feature with your face, now it just unlocks with a picture of your eyes, which is basically the same thing

how can a front-facing camera have an iris scanner anyway
>>
>>55575554
Just because you sit stationary in a controlled climate and never touch anything but your computer doesn't mean we all do.

When I am working in the shop and get oil/grease/rust etc on my fingers it takes 4 tries plus a shirt wipe to get in.

You must wash your hands between hotpockets then?
>>
>>55571893
>Mimic an iris is more difficult than a fingerprint.
I would say it's the other way around. You can just photograph a person in good enough resolution and you are done.

>>55571772
Offering a new gimmicky feature that kind of smells like what they used to call innovation.
>>
>>55577134
>You can just photograph a person in good enough resolution and you are done.
Geez, that's not going to be difficult at all.
>>
Why the fuss when the iPhone 7+ is going to wipe the floor with this?
>>
>>55577170
How the fuck is that difficult? Especially more difficult than getting someone's fingerprint in sufficient quality and copying it to some rubber sheet.
>>
>>55571893
If it's one of those fingerprint scanners that scans the veins in your finger, it's basically impossible to mimic.
>>
>>55577273
This, can samscheiss stop embarassing themselves. We've reached a point where it's not even fun anymore, sad!
>>
>>55577322
It all depends on the actual required detail.

You can fairly easily force a person to put their finger on the unlock button. I don't see how it is easier to get them to stand half a foot away from you so you can take a photo of both of their eyes with enough detail in the iris to pass the scanner.
>>
>>55577691
>It all depends on the actual required detail.
The phone scans your iris with some shitty front facing camera. So you can guess how little detail is needed.

>You can fairly easily force a person to put their finger on the unlock button.
That's a completely different case. I mean let's not fool ourselves: The scenario that someone tries to unlock your device protected with biometric data is complete fantasy anyway. We all know none of those will ever happen, especially not Android devices, which are easily rootable anyway.

>I don't see how it is easier to get them to stand half a foot away from you so you can take a photo of both of their eyes with enough detail in the iris to pass the scanner.
You know, stuff like tele objectives exist. Also, if you have a good DSLR at hand you can really get a photograph from dozens of meters with good enough quality. You just need an infrared filter and you are good to go.
>>
>>55575858
kek'd
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.