[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did it last so long? You could buy Pentium 4 branded CPUs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: pentium4.png (2 MB, 1200x1491) Image search: [Google]
pentium4.png
2 MB, 1200x1491
Why did it last so long?

You could buy Pentium 4 branded CPUs from 2000 and as late as 2006.

I just pulled those years of out of my ass.
>>
Intel bribed OEMs to use it
>>
>>55571524
>worse than most AMD products at the time
>Intel won anyway
Pentium 4 was a malignant tumor.
>>
>>55571551
Thats mainly because intel though they could keep driving the clocks up for as long as they wanted. Turns out that wasnt the case because the heat and power consumption got out of control, of which the double pumped ALUs contributed a significant part. Netburst was intended to eventually hit 10ghz.

Had AMD and their own Pentium M slapped them in the face with the fact slower and wider is better, they would have instead released the monster that is Tejas, an architecture with a 40-50 stage long pipeline and a target clock speed of 7ghz stock.
>>
>>55571517
>as late as 2006

They were still making them in the second half of 2008 in fact.
>>
>>55571648
*not slapped them in the face

neglected to put that there
>>
dude dual core i7 is just pentium 4 with 2 cores.
>>
>>55571679
The last model is from 2006 according to wikipedia.

They could still be making 2006 model CPUs in 2008.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_4_microprocessors
>>
>>55571821
This

But they were still being sold in stores and in prebuilts until about late 2010
>>
>>55571648
>Tejas, an architecture with a 40-50 stage long pipeline and a target clock speed of 7ghz stock.
Fuck, the PSU would have to be the same size as the case. And the heatsink would be sticking out of it.
>>
>>55571648
Then Tejas is released

only coming short of 4GHz

with Intel being a disappointment for not meeting expectation

just like what AMDisappointment is doing right now
>>
>>55571648
>Thats mainly because intel though they could keep driving the clocks up for as long as they wanted.
I highly doubt they thought that. It was known in the 80s that there is a limit to that. They just had no real backup plan.
>>
>>55571925
I think the expected TDP was to be >170W.

>>55571981
To be fair i blame AMD's management for that. That group of chucklefucks really screwed things up, and releasing the construction cores as a high clock low IPC architecture was a really stupid fucking move on their part. It didnt help GloFo fucked up yet again with the transition to 32nm which prevented BD from hitting its desired clock rates.
AMD would have been much better off with re-configuring K10 with a wider core and the support hardware required to fuel that wider core, fixing some of the flaws the arch had in general, bumping the clocks up (along with the tweaks required to allow that), and stuffing another 2 cores on the die.

>>55571998
Yeah they knew there was a limit, they just didnt know WHERE that limit was at the time because the technology of the time wasnt good enough to get close to the limit in the first place.
>>
>>55571517
>mfw my Pentium 4 3.06Ghz with HT from 2003 is still going strong
Truly godlike.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.