[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the lightest OS for old computers ? I have a quite old
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
What is the lightest OS for old computers ?

I have a quite old laptop with Pentium M 1.5 Ghz and 512 mb ram (shared for graphics, so 480 really).
Currently it has Windows XP, but it's really slow, to the point it can't be used. I'd only need to browse the internet.
>>
>>55571432
>I'd only need to browse the internet.
It's not just the OS, it's the browser. A single tab will use from 50 to 300MB. You don't have enough RAM for the modern internet.

If you must, try a light linux distro such as Slax.
>>
Linux light.
>>
>>55571448
bullshit

don't listen to him op
you can run firefox with that much ram
open about:memory if you don't believe me

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

just pay attention to how you partition your hdd

sudo apt install tlp xinit i3
echo exec i3 >> ~/.xinitrc
startx
>>
xubuntu
>>
Does Puppy Linux still exist? If so, that. Never seen an up to date Linux distribution that's so light on system resources before and ever again.
>>
>>55571432
Throw it away.
Your life is better not spent tweaking shit.
>>
>>55571573
yes, puppy is still around.

>>55571432
OP, you could run DSL (damn small linux) from a USB or CD

>>55571448
All you need is swap broheim
>>
>>55571432
Install Gentoo
>>
>>55571448
I was using a very old ThinkPad as my main machine for a while and even with a fairly lightweight Linux distro I found that 640MB RAM wasn't enough for internet browsing. The main issue was that I'd occasionally venture to a website with a lot of images and all of my RAM would instantly be used as it tried to load, the hard drive would start singing for swapping, and the entire system would become unresponsive because that's what happens when you run out of RAM and it's trying to do everything it can to still function while relying on a slow ass laptop HDD to substitute as RAM.

I upgraded that machine to 1GB and it *significantly* reduced the amount of "out of RAM" issues I'd run across while browsing. It still happened on occasion but it was more like once a week rather than multiple times per day. I'd really consider 1GB an absolute minimum for browsing nowadays.
>>
>>55571432
>I'd only need to browse the internet.

Buy a new computer then. Ancient shit is not fast enough for the age of "webpages being full-fledged html5/memescript applications".
>>
>>55571541
You CAN run Firefox and Chrome just fine, but unless you're opening Richard Stallman's website, you're fucked. Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, whatever normie shit you browse has tons of images and tons of javascript.

Open up your task manager, see how much RAM is used by a single tab.
>>
>>55571432
Slitaz
>>
>>55571690
You'd be surprised. I was basically browsing the internet all day every day on my ThinkPad from 2002 until I finally got a new machine last year. A little patience goes a long way. Maybe a lot of patience. Still, it's doable.

Also uMatrix exists now so you can at least control everything and only load what you actually want to load.
>>
Upgrade the ram.

1gb or just a 512mb stick for a pentium M machine is 10$ or less

Even my R30 with a pentium 3 has 1gb of ram
>>
>>55571690
>not browsing the internet with Lynx

Why are you even on /g/?
>>
Use the stallman method, wget websites
>>
A lot of good advice here. Puppy definitely is the lightest you can get if you want a graphical browser like firefox (or better, GNU IceCat), which adding uMatrix and controlling what loads from websites you reduce the load.

You can also go for a lighter browser like dwb which takes times to adjust but is fast, or use a text based browser like lynx which is the fastest you can go.

If you have the skill, you can install a source based distro to have a minimal installation, it will take time compiling (a lot of time), but after that you gain a computer apt for a decade more.
>>
>>55571432
>watermarks
kys faggot
>>
File: 1467996414753.jpg (71 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1467996414753.jpg
71 KB, 800x600
>>55571541
>mini.iso
>>
Even android with 1gb ram now struggling to browse web. So no you better spend/save that money for a tablet like chuwi or telclast because is a new meme.
>>
>>55571716
chrome tends to use more memory
most normie sites will work normally, from the ones you mentioned only facagook might be difficult but it's cancer and a shit site anyway

>Open up your task manager, see how much RAM is used by a single tab.
that's what i said anon
>>
>>55571432
Dont listen to this uneducated kids, if you want the MOST light weight distro there is, its arch, no buts or ifs ... I can boot my arch with i3 under 100mb of ram ... enough is said...
>>
>>55571573
>>55571594
>>55571861
How lighter Puppy is, compared to Debian or Arch or Slackware (I mean, what is the difference of taking those distros from a minimal install and start installing packages from there)? Tinycore sounds cool but it runs entirely in the RAM and I don't know much about Slitaz.
>>
>>55571937
No point in worrying about memory while CSS3 effects rapes your CPU.
>>
Is there some sort of plugin that tricks websites into thinking you're a phone? I'd imagine mobile versions of sites are lighter than the desktop counterparts
>>
>>55572206
>living in sweden
thats your problem
>>
>>55572237
the useragent?
>>
>>55572011
>arch
Fuck off with that shit, OP clearly is not familiar with linux distros

OP try out Puppy Linux, just do it. Slitaz also works just fine.
>>
Some Linux distro with a lightweight desktop environment. Puppy, Manjaro or whatever with maybe Openbox or LXDM for desktop environment if you want an "easy to get started with" distro.
>>
Freebsd
>>
File: PC tan overclock.png (13 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
PC tan overclock.png
13 KB, 640x480
>>55571584
>Your life is better not spent tweaking shit

What the fuck are you doing in this board then?
>>
>>55571776
My athlon XP has 3GB
I never really use more than 1
>>
OP install the ubuntu mini.iso and report back
>>
Any xcfe distro or puppy Linux
>>
>>55571432
The lighest I know off is: Xubuntu/Lubuntu Core.
>>
Just use CLI and lynx.
>>
>>55571790
This.

Lynx is so comfy to use for light browsering. Sadly though, its not meme compatible
>>
Windows XP. If you disable all bloat you can get RAM usage down by a lot.
>>
Look for a distribution specialized for old hardware, like puppy. Binaries for Ubuntu, arch, even Debian are built with most features enabled.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.