[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i'm looking for a laptop or netbook with a 1080p screen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: o-LAPTOP-FIRE-facebook.jpg (235 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
o-LAPTOP-FIRE-facebook.jpg
235 KB, 2000x1000
i'm looking for a laptop or netbook with a 1080p screen and good linux support.

any suggestions? or is there a site like logicalincrements for laptops
>>
>>55568892
while (poor)
{
Get (t420)
}
else
{
Get(XPS 13)
}
>>
>>55568989
Actually this. T420 or XPS 13 DE
>>
>>55569005
>>55568989
Not OP, but is it worth getting the barebones configuration of the XPS13?
>>
>>55569027
Well fuck, looks like I can't upgrade the RAM.
>>
T460p configuration without the dedicated GPU. You'll have a modern Thinkpad without Optimus hogging it up. Includes 1080p IPS screen.

I really advice you to get something without an nvidia chip, just Intel. Intel's drivers are free and open-source and just work.
>>
>>55568892
God I wish I could go with lenovo, but after that superfish shit AND them botnetting their bios, I just can't do it. Guess it's dell or bust
>>
>>55569046
>>55569027
You'd want to get 8gb. Yea only downside is no more upgrading but that's unfortunately where the market has been heading.
>>
>>55569136
>botnet bios
Wut?
>>
yeah the site is called apple.com
>>
>>55569218
Sorry, calling shit botnet is a bad habbit I've gotten to on /g/ Lenovo puts full on asian malware in their shit tho. They put an unremovable entry in their bios that would reinstall their crapware every time you booted windows, even after clean install. And that's AFTER they got caught using an app that breaks fucking ssl in your https.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/now-three-pre-installed-malwares-lenovo-laptops/
>>
>>55569274
you forgot to mention that their apps are a few useful utilities
>>
>>55569359
Wait, what? Are you saying that, while pointing out they have put malware on their devices at least three times, I should have stopped to mention a couple useful utilities they threw in?
>>
>>55569274
Meh, not really an issue. The only one that is particularly sleazy is the firmware one, but they rectified that, and if you were running Linux then it was a non-issue anyway.
>>
>>55569359
>unironically shilling bloatware
>>
>>55569422
yes
>>
>>55569432
Dude, I'm sorry, but what the actual fuck WOULD be an issue for you? They rigged their goddamn bios with a hackable, completely unremoveable hidden rootkit AND broke FUCKING HTTPS. As a laptop manufacturer that's pretty much as hard as you can possibly to fuck up. There's a reason the US government doesn't touch their shit. They've given us every reason to believe they've hardwired other shit into their mobos. Their whole business model revolves around selling your shit to subsidize prices. I understand not sweating the small stuff with corporations, but goddamn. It IS possible for a manufacturer to take hardware and fuck it right the fuck up. But you know what, you go ahead. Enjoy that shiny new thinkpad. You deserve eachother
>>
>>55569046
>>55569179

This exactly. I'd get 8GB now, and leave the rest stock. CPU will be enough, and storage and other stuff can be extended through USB/Thunderbolt
>>
>>55569556
People bitched and they fixed it. Only the Bios shit couldn't be removed permanently on your own, and that didn't affect Linux. The OP is asking about Linux, so . . .

What would be an issue for me would be if they forced that shit into their bios, AND they made it so that you couldn't replace the OS with Linux.
>>
>>55569620
No dude. Not even. You aren't gonna get what I'm saying, so it isn't for you. I'm over it. Have fun.
>>
>>55569650
K, have fun being mad just for the sake of being mad.
>>
>>55568892

As a general PSA to anyone reading this thread, remember that any time someone has unrestricted access to your hardware at any point, your system is compromised. This is straight up 15+ year old basic rules of security. Someone *cough*lenovo*cough* could strait up rig a keylogger and network that shit to transmit over the internet insecurely. And nobody would ever know. But if a manufacturer were to give signs that they were down for that kind of shit, you would probably be well advised to avoid them like the plague. That is all.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-14-13-29-40.png (352 KB, 1600x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-14-13-29-40.png
352 KB, 1600x2560
What's the catch here? I don't care about looks, just want a half decent shitposting machine and with enough ram for basic Photoshop.

I know I might have to replace the battery but that's cool.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.