[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What to do with a broken TV?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 20160711_213630.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160711_213630.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
My LG 42" Smart LED TV stopped working 6 months ago, after 2.5 years of usage. The LED backlight stopped working. The top and bottom parts light up for like 0.5 second, then go black.

So I tried to repair the TV few days ago, but it's hard to find the LED strip parts. The only one available on eBay is $100+, which isn't worth it. I don't have any electrical or soldering equipment either, so I can't just solder LEDs on. I don't see similar broken TVs up for listing on craigslist/kijiji either.

What do you guys do with a broken TV? Do you just throw it away? Do you sell the individual parts (Tcon, power board, main board, etc.)? What do?
>>
>>55566259
>Smart LED TV
>Smart
kek
>>
just take it to the nearest Best Buy
>>
>>55566424
Idk
>>
Are TV's not technology related? I'm not asking for tech support, just asking what you guys do with broken TVs
>>
>>55566810
/g/ is literally worse than /v/.

Anyways i throw mine in the trash.
>>
>>55566829
you mean you throw it in a garbage bag? damn
>>
>>55566810
Sadly, nobody on /g/ knows jack shit about TV's.
>>
LEDs don't often go bad but if you have a multimeter with a diode checker you could test them yourself to see if they are working. You could also rig something up with small power source and a resistor.

More likely is an issue with the power supply to the LEDs. I recommend looking around for bulging or leaking caps.

I doubt many people would have an interest in a broken TV if you can't fix it so if you can't harvest anything interesting from it then into the trash it goes.
>>
>>55566904
problem is, i don't have a multimeter. i'm just guessing it's bad LEDs because there are lots of similar reports with LED TVs lately.

found no bulging capacitors either, but I guess I can't do much about it if it's the power supply that's the problem. The TV's backlight started flickering for a while before it went black
>>
The best thing that you can do is to call a local repair man from the phone book. It will cost 60-100$ typicaly. dont take to a retail store for repair they will charge 100 just to look at it.
>>
>>55566947
Unless something shorted to the chassis then its unlikely a bad LED/strip would knock out all your backlighting, hence why I'm thinking power supply. Flickering is common when they start having issues and it normally gets worse from there.

I had an old 22" monitor a friend gave me with a flickering backlight problem and after replacing a few bad caps it worked for another 2 years before having issues again. Of course that was a CCFL backlight and a bit different from more modern LED backlights, they were a lot more power hungry.
>>
>>55566968
my mom wouldn't want to spend $60 to $100 just to fix it

welp, sounds like i'm going to sign a 2 year contract with my TV provider to get another free 49" TV. poorfag life.

They used to give out Samsung and LG TVs on contract, but now they cheaped out for Toshiba TVs. I found that the TV model went for $150 on Boxing Day. Toshiba is just rebranded Best Buy shit too
>>
>>55567015
>its unlikely a bad LED/strip would knock out all your backlighting
I thought they do because it's a parallel series circuit or something. that's what i found on tv repair forums, and youtube videos. The three LED strips in the middle don't light up at all, and it seems like the three of them are connected together on the circuit board.

However i agree it could be a power supply problem too. I've tried swapping the LED strips around and the same happened, which implies that the strips aren't bad, or it's only the L2/R2 strips (second and fourth row) that are bad.

I don't have soldering equipment to replace capacitors, so I guess in the trash it goes.
>>
>>55567108
Why not buy a soldering iron and some solder for literally less than 20 bucks?
>>
>>55567125
yeah maybe i'll try that.

i also found a youtube video where the guy fixed a similar model by simply heating up the main video board, to make the solder come together.
https://youtu.be/kbjNq1AyF00?t=8m23s
>>
>>55567108
>>55567015
if your TV lights up for a second then goes black, then it's the backlight that is the problem.
>>
>>55566259
fix it with parts. odds are it's not the leds/ led strips themselves but the controller board or inverter or bad caps somewhere....
>>
>>55567215
LEDs shouldn't light up at all though
>>
>>55566842
No. I mean i throw it on the fucking trash. I dont buy tvs small enough to fit in a bag you stinky nigger.
>>
>>55566259
>The top and bottom parts light up for like 0.5 second, then go black.

There are about 4 causes of this problem, and only 1 is fatal. The rest are easily fixable. Google is your friend.
>>
>>55568712
well, i think that's what happens when only some of the LEDs blew out.

>>55568669
>>55568827
it's hard to get those parts too.
>>
>>55568977

Not really: eBay. Plenty of people disassembling old "broken" TVs (whose owners couldn't be arsed to get fixed) and selling parts. They're not really tested, but most of them are working, else you can get a refund with very few questions asked.

However, with your problem likely being a power supply of some sort, you could easily try replacing the capacitors first for a couple bucks with a soldering iron. And ffs, get a multimeter already.
>>
Just smash it up into small pieces and cram it into a garbage bin.
>>
File: 1467934952896.jpg (235 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
1467934952896.jpg
235 KB, 960x640
>>55566947
>Post on /g/

MFW no multimeter
>>
>>55566259
>solder LEDs on
>Solder On

Tried getting a tecon board or looking for a blown cap before trying to re-solder all of the LEDs
>>
>>55566259
tape up some flashlights behind the LCD. Turn them on when you want to watch TV
>>
>>55571564
This.
>>55566259
>The top and bottom parts light up for like 0.5 second, then go black.

Literally a leaked cap and/or power supply problem. LEDs usually wear very slowly. Underpowered PSUs and overheating capacitors are the real problem.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.