[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is water cooling worth getting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: 1449981535790.jpg (366 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
1449981535790.jpg
366 KB, 1600x1600
Is water cooling worth getting?
>>
>>55565725
You know that kid died in a car crash a few years ago right? They say posting this image will curse you.
>>
Of course.
Stick with closed loops unless you know what you're doing though.
>>
File: EK-PREDATOR-240-la.jpg (66 KB, 960x623) Image search: [Google]
EK-PREDATOR-240-la.jpg
66 KB, 960x623
>>55565725
If you have to ask, then the only type that could be worth it is All-in-One types (pic related).

It's mainly for looks over performance though. Significant amount of aircoolers perform on-par with watercoolers, and they're usually a bit louder because they have a motor in the pump.
>>
>>55565725

Water + Electricity = Disaster

Water cooling allows for greater power density than air cooling; so figure out the cost savings of the extra density (likely none unless you're very space constrained). Then calculate the cost of the risk of a water disaster (say 1% * the cost of your facility). Then do a simple risk-reward comparison and see if it makes sense for your environment.
Or just fuck off back to /v/
>>
>>55565725
It's not nessisary for the majority of people, including most enthusiasts. High end air coolers are comparable in cost and performance to AIO water cools, but never die or pose an inherent risk of water damage.
>>
No. They're a meme. Get a EVO 212 meme air cooler like me desu
>>
It's a meme
>>
>>55565725
What CPU are you cooling?
>>
File: phase-change-cooling.jpg (140 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
phase-change-cooling.jpg
140 KB, 1024x685
>>55565725
Fuck that shit. Water cooling is just a meme. Full immersion phase change cooling is not. You turn your case into a sealed up aquarium and fill that fucker up with liquid perfluorohexane. Processors make perfluorohexane boil, transfer fuckloads more heat than water without any pumping.

Cray fucking used this, Lain used it, and you should too!

This message brought to you by 3M electronic liquids division
>>
>>55565917
are they supposed to get red like that..
>>
>>55565767
Waiting fow my predator to arrive tomorrow.
>>
>>55565725
no its a meme (insert graph)

only purpose is aesthetic
>>
Not really, no. Unless you just want to do it for the challenge or aesthetic, don't bother. The expense to performance gained is like zero and it's extra work to maintain it. An all in one water cooler will give you like 90% of the cooling for way less money/effort and high end air coolers will do almost the same thing as those while being making a lot less noise.

I did a custom loop a few years ago. I'm glad I did as it was a fun and interesting challenge, but I wouldn't do it again.
>>
File: 35-608-045-TS.jpg (61 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
35-608-045-TS.jpg
61 KB, 640x480
is the poo fan the best heatsink available?
>>
Could you use mineral oil in a liquid cooling system?
>>
>>55566129
It looks pretty fucking good to me
>2 cooling towers
>2 hueg fans
>can probably put a 3rd fan on the other side
I guess just the price and making the ram fit would be an issue
>>
I fantasize about an aquarium build all the time but I know that if I actually got one it would get cat hair and shit in it. It's better as a fantasy
>>
File: DSC04477.jpg (3 MB, 3927x4543) Image search: [Google]
DSC04477.jpg
3 MB, 3927x4543
If you are asking if it is worth it for performance the answer is no. Is it worth it as a hobby? Well is any hobby worth it?

I'm glad I built my loop but I got at least 1200 american into it. That's over the course of maybe 3 years though? I got a real solid overclock on my 4770k and 1080 that I can cool with my fans at 500RPM.

Thinking of moving into a mATX build whenever intels next chipset comes out
>>
>>55565725
Yes if you get a closed loop system. No if you do a custom build.
>>
>>55565917
Holy shit why isn't this the new meme cooling? Must be super expensive.
>>
>>55565917
I'm guessing those parts aren't getting resold
>>
>>55565771
>implying it's water in there

t.know nothing but posts anyways
>>
>>55566129
that and phanteks PH-TC14PE are pretty on par with each other

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835709011
>>
>>55565725

No.

There are no parts that require this kind of cooling at all whatsoever. AIO coolers are all utter garbage that get even outclasses by high end air coolers, which cost about half as much than you'd pay for an AIO, plus air coolers are WAY quieter because there isn't a shitty pump making your room sound like an aquarium and they don't have a limited lifespan aside from the fan.

The only situation where air cooling could be useful is for multi-gpu purposes if you're using some amd housefire but multi gpus are garbage anyway and not worth the hassle at fucking all. So in all, no, water cooling is straight out retarded and people only do it because they want to impress anonymous people online with their MAXIMUM GAYMER windowed shitshow of a case.

You'd much sooner reach the chip's natural limits before temperature becomes a concern where a custom loop would be convenient anyway. And for the price you're paying for a loop, you could upgrade your entire build or buy the next best thing due release in a few months.

It's a straight up lose/lose situation. Only retarded redditors who get their knowledge from r/buildapc would think otherwise.
>>
>>55566667
>1200 dollars for a cooler that doesn't give you any more performance than any aftermarket gpu cooler or high end air cooler for your cpu would
>plus added in hasslem, maitenance needs, limited lifespan, no build portability at all and extra case bulk that will limit you from going mini-itx

Holy fucking lel. And this is why water cooling is fucking retarded and will always be. You could literally build this entire thing again for the same price of this shitty cooler.
>>
>>55565939
>>55567519

Those are copper heatsinks, not red hot metal. CPU is at 70C

http://www.overclock.net/t/1199711/phaedrus-ces-taking-phase-change-to-a-whole-new-level
>>
>>55565917
Looks dangerous
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.