[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The expensive question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 30
File: knowledge_graph_logo.png (10 KB, 302x302) Image search: [Google]
knowledge_graph_logo.png
10 KB, 302x302
Are Apple Macbooks good laptops compared to other laptops? Are they worth it? Whenever I ask this question, usually people who have macs will say yes and the others will say they are a waste of money. I want an objective comparison
>>
File: 1466980809918.png (195 KB, 1297x727) Image search: [Google]
1466980809918.png
195 KB, 1297x727
>>55563975
There's three Macbooks:

Plain: worse than celeron piece of shit with the worst keyboard in the history of computing

Air: same 1366x768 TN piece of shit you find on $200 craptops, and it's glossy on top of that

Pro: if you try to use the high end hardware they cram into it, it catches fire

They're all utter shit, and only a moron would buy any of them.
>>
>>55564007
Do you or have you ever owned a macbook yourself? Do you know anyone who does and how they feel about it? Because I know people who have used both macbooks and pcs. Some of them like macbooks and some of them like pcs.
>>
>>55563975
OSX Mavericks was like the Windows 7 of Macs. It was actually pretty good. Everything after is trash. If you're going to get one then buy a used one from 2008-2011. They're really cheap right now. You can use transmac and a Mavericks install dmg to make a bootable flash drive. You can also install install GNU/Linux or Windows on them. I'm on a 10 year old MBP right now. These are going for like $45 used. They work fine for shitposting and rare pepe collecting. A RAM upgrade helps greatly on the really old machines.
>>
>>55564007
A very objective observaion.

>>55563975
They're not bad computers. Various issues here and there, but they're generally made well and perform well because they don't use celerons and entry level components. Working for Apple myself, I'm not sure if I'll buy another one though. They are really expensive for what you get. Probably get a Lenovo or a Razer if it's in the budget next.
>>
>>55563975
I used my brother's MBP 2011 when I was at home since I didn't want to drive my tower back every weekend. External build quality is pretty good besides the keyboard and the palm rest that automatically slashes your wrists for you so you can fit in with your tumblr buddies. Half the ports are useless though. The front two rubber feet fell off. Keyboard gets greasy fast despite washing right before using. Hinge got wobbly. SD card reader doesn't work. Fan bearing shit itself one year in so it makes this chainsaw noise. Blob right in the middle of the screen. Update made the drive that initially came with it commit suicide. Gets burning hot if you do anything besides browse the internet. Headphone jack makes a popping sound that didn't go away with cleaning.
>>
It is a fact the Apple products are overpriced but I consider Apple Macbooks really good laptops for several reasons.

OS X is wonderful and highly refined as opposed to Windows. It will always start reliably and almost never crashes or freezes like a Windows OS hangs or blue screens midway. OS X does not throw annoying updates like in Windows; instead, it gives periodical software updates that updates the OS in one go as opposed to installing a bunch of updates like in Windows.

Apple's customer service is amazing. They will offer hassle free support and even have no-questions-asked replacement policy for the period the product is in warranty.

Build quality is awesome. Macbooks are built to last. They are made from aircraft grade aluminum. My friend uses a 2011 MacBook pro and recently got a RAM upgrade, and just a few days ago he opened 6 MS Word documents and had about 10-13 tabs open in his Safari and the MacBook was just fine.

The security on OS X is top notch for the level basic in-built security and it's encryption almost impossible to crack. Windows comes with it's built in Windows Defender, which is utter trash. The XTS-AES 128 encryption in OS X is the safest one may ever need.
>>
>>55564197
I don't know if that's one of the rare cases that occurs with any computer these days. I've used PCs that completely fall apart after just 2 years of usage. They struggle to run basic programs like MS Office, Firefox, etc. That kind of stuff is not exclusive to MacBooks. In fact, it is more prominent in PCs than in MacBooks.
>>
>>55563975
>A fucking computer marginally more expensive than just about every other brand.
>Worth it?

If you know what a macbook is and are familiar with its OS then why would you need a comparison? Especially with price point being such an concern, fucking go to a store and check it out.

I have a 2015 'plain' MacBook and it's the best machine I've ever owned. Worth for more than I paid for it for sure. If all you care about is a computer than no fucking shit it will be a 'waste of money'.
>>
File: 1464895154198.jpg (26 KB, 938x525) Image search: [Google]
1464895154198.jpg
26 KB, 938x525
>>55564224
>Build quality is awesome. Macbooks are built to last. They are made from aircraft grade aluminum. My friend uses a 2011 MacBook pro and recently got a RAM upgrade, and just a few days ago he opened 6 MS Word documents and had about 10-13 tabs open in his Safari and the MacBook was just fine.
Oh man, my sides are in orbit.
>>
>>55564007
/thread
>>
File: 1455122117322.jpg (204 KB, 668x942) Image search: [Google]
1455122117322.jpg
204 KB, 668x942
>>55564224
>It will always start reliably and almost never crashes or freezes

This is how you identify the paid shills OP.
>>
>>55564324
OP here. What do you mean?
>>
>>55564310
>They are made from aircraft grade aluminum
and like an aircraft made of aluminum, they have no vent holes, which, unlike a aircraft, leads to the slow death of the product
>>
>>55564354
Dude don't listen to the whinny children. If you want a mac just buy a used one. They're not the best and not the greatest. If you don't like OSX they come with bootcamp assistant to install Windows. It's just a computer.
>>
>>55564390
That's true
>>
>>55564053
Are you a fucking moron? You asked the thread for an OBJECTIVE reason, and then you turn around and ask him a fucking question based on the SUBJECTIVE experiences of the people you know?

Fuck you.
>>
I have to start by saying I am no pro in hardware, but know a few things in software, and I am Ignoring the retards that hate because "WINDIUZ&LEENUKS RULZ!" And speaking out of experience here.

Now I will have to point out that I prefer Windows over OSX simply because I used Windows my entire life, but I did use Mac and I have to give credit where credit is due.

Regardless of the cost, If you want a computer that can do basic everyday things like watching movies, listening to music, photo and video editing, and general web browsing like Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/YouTube/ETC, Macs fit the bill nicely, they tend to preform admirably and only fuck up when you really fuck up bad.

MACs in general are decent machines with medium hardware that works just fine until either your warranty dies or you break it, and trust me, it's a bitch to repair these fuckers. Mac OSX is a simplistic OS for people that just want to press a button and do shit ASAP, a launch bar at the bottom along with a simple bar on the top with functions akin to a Windows window, funnily enough.

But here is the catch, you are paying a small fortune for a computer with practically no graphics capability, locked up and monitored harder than the CIA and FBI monitoring this website's /x/ and /b/ boards, and sadly easily prone to break at any moment and it costs another small fortune to fix them.
>>
>>55564373
They still end up lasting longer than PC laptops. You use a PC for 2-3 years, you'll need a new computer, even upgrading hardware will not be worth it at that point. MacBooks will last very long and still have a good resell rate than PCs can ever hope to.
>>
>>55564421
I did realize. Sorry about that. But I just hope you didn't react as rudely as you did.
>>
>>55564437
>But I just hope you didn't react as rudely as you did.

Are you sure you're on the right website, faggot?
>>
>>55563975
No, they are objectively never fucking worth it. Why don't you spend some time instead becoming familiar with a system that actually respects your freedom?
>>
>>55564456
Are you sure you're on the right board, kiddo?
>>
Regular PCs and laptops on the other hand are much more capable, they are like Lego for grown ups and gamers, able to be updated and upgraded, boasting a tried and true OS that dominates the world till this day, Windows that is, and not to mention the fact that there are Mac alternatives with the same price and triple the performance.

If you don't want Billy's Microsoft Microshaft all over your face, use Linux! If you want high graphics, low cost with good life in general, get an Asus laptop, if you want to look cool and have powerful performance regardless of the cost, Alienware and RAZR got you covered bruv, if you want an everyday average laptop for work, get an HP or Dell, and for the love of Gaben, don't get an Acer, I tried way too many of their laptops and they all underperformed miserably under pressure.
>>
>>55564456
Well, then if you were so informed about the website we're on, why the fuck did you react when I asked a 'SUBJECTIVE' question when I initially asked for an 'OBJECTIVE' argument you dumb bitchy cunt ass mother fucker?
>>
>>55564425
> being this big of a fucking apple shill
did you seriously just pull all of that out of your ass? I've been using the same lenovo laptop for 8 years no problem.
>>
>>55564471
Exactly
>>
>>55564474
THIS. macs are for artfags or little old ladies who are too scared to learn how to actually use a computer. PCs are for ACTUAL power users, period.
>>
>>55564465
I'd rather have a system that sells my online activity to ad agencies than one that has a key logger and even logs my keystrokes when I'm typing my bank password.
>>
>>55564502
To be honest, it's not as much about being an artistic hipster prick that drinks Starbucks only and buys the most obscure shit you never knew like a buttplug that electrocutes your taint while you use it, it's more aimed for uninformed and sadly tech retarded people that don't bother to update their rigs with new parts, opting to just scrap the complete computer to just buy a slightly more expensive version with a new small feature that NO ONE GIVES TEO LITTLE LATEX DILDOS ABOUT.
>>
>>55563975
They're great laptops tbqh, but they're also slightly underpowered and outdated (15 inch retinas still uses haslel)

Later this year Applel will release the skylake 15 inch with the latest AMD graphics, it will be thinner and like 2x faster graphics
>>
File: f05C1JG.jpg (66 KB, 500x440) Image search: [Google]
f05C1JG.jpg
66 KB, 500x440
To sum things up, here is why a majority of 4chan say PCs are better then MACs.
>>
>>55564594
lol its true though. no one who is actually serious about tech uses a mac. just people doing meme programming like javascript and html
>>
>>55563975
I work in an internal IT department at a mid-size company, here are a few of my thoughts on macbooks. Overall, there's a few good reasons as to why macbook sales are dropping like mad.

1. Price
Significantly overpriced for the hardware you get. You can get the exact same hardware in other laptops for far cheaper. In particular I feel the screens are horribly overrated. Some laptops offered by other companies can also offer additional advantages, such as lower weight, or improved performance when compared to macbooks of an otherwise simmilar class.

2. Longevity and performance.
One thing you have to understand when buying a computer is that each vendor (usually) doesn't manufacture any of the parts within the machine itself, they just design some parts of the motherboard and figure out how to put it all together. That powerful CPU is from Intel, that fast SSD is from Samsung, that awesome screen is from Sharp. You can find the same quality parts that you get in a macbook in many other models.

3. User-friendliness
I find both OSX and windows 10 are easy to use. What OSX fails at is properly communicating to a user when something goes wrong. If an error occurs OSX usually pops up with a message of "Sorry, I can't do that right now", or buttons and selections might be inexplicably greyed out with zero feedback. Troubleshooting on a mac as a 'basic user' is far more frustrating then doing so on a windows machine.

TL;DR: Macbooks offer no real competitive advantage compared to other laptops, might as well get a windows 10 machine.
>>
Macs are really good if you are someone who doesn't mess around with the computer much and you use what you get out of the box. With PCs you get a lot more flexibility and you can mess around with it as much as you'd like. But, I believe you can still get the same juice out of both computers. I think it all comes down to personal taste, which then becomes a subjective argument.
>>
File: 1464573690495.jpg (5 KB, 250x215) Image search: [Google]
1464573690495.jpg
5 KB, 250x215
>>55564594
what kind of stupid nigger only changes their oil filter every two years? and why is he sticking it on top of the engine with a fucking screwdriver?

this pretty much sums up modern windows users
>>
File: interview2.png (400 KB, 850x673) Image search: [Google]
interview2.png
400 KB, 850x673
>>55564630
>no one who is actually serious about tech uses a mac
Kek. You are one delusional wincuck.
>>
>>55564641
I agree with you. And this is the case in more recent times.
>>
File: 1427580948279.jpg (200 KB, 465x1771) Image search: [Google]
1427580948279.jpg
200 KB, 465x1771
>>55564594
What say you now, Rajeesh?
>>
>>55564672
lol and he clearly hates it.

face it, apple is dying
>>
File: why don't you?.jpg (393 KB, 2332x1704) Image search: [Google]
why don't you?.jpg
393 KB, 2332x1704
>>55564687
Yes, but he uses it since he knows there's nothing better. Linux is generally inferior to macOS, and windows is literally a joke that went too far.
>>
I use a Mac because I want a UNIX-ey laptop that doesn't completely suck balls. I pay the extra money because I want drivers that were actually written for the hardware, not some random general binary blob from a ppa repo that only half works.
>>
>>55564687
I wouldn't say Apple is dying. The mac has out grown the market by 15% 7 years in a row and now makes up a third of all computers sold these days.
>>
>>55564700
those people are all in san francisco. they basically have to use macs because of trendy fag tribalism
>>
>>55564687
Microsoft was actually dying a little while ago which is why they are now trying to implement linux into Windows.
>>
>>55564722
>damage control
You've done well, Rakeet. $2 have been deposited into your designated shitting street.
>>
>>55563975
You're unlikely to get that on /g/, at best you can compare the arguments of each side and get to your own conclusion. Or read actual reviews. Or just buy one and find out, you can return shit in most countries in the first two weeks if you happen to hate it.

Personally, I think they are too far ahead of the "competition" due OSX alone. Having UNIX and all the relevant commercial software missing on Linux, plus some stuff made for the Mac is damn nice. Not having to waste a single second for maintenance or worry about deteriorating performance over time is fucking awesome. Besides it's generally lovely to work with and doesn't get in your way. Oh, and it's the only OS that got high resolution display scaling right so far.

Ignoring that, there is still literally the best in class trackpad (even most hardcore mac haters tend to agree with that) and 16:10 screens, that are basically limited to Apple, Google and Microsoft. If you're buying it to watch movies or play vidya, 16:10 is a downside, if you're going to do anything else, it's a big plus and offers you more space.

From spec side, premium laptops are pretty similar either way and only NVM SSD sets Macbook apart from the cheap shit but once you spend upwards of 1300, they tend to become standard as well.

Battery life tends to be best in class when including resolution/size.

Keyboard is a pretty subjective topic, some hate them, some love them, others are fine with them.

Build quality is pretty based too, basically what you would expect at the price point.

OSX is a huge factor, if you're not going to use it, you're losing on trackpad gestures, one hour of battery life and of course all the continuity stuff. So if you plan to use mainly Linux or Windows, I would roll with something else.
>>
File: 20141024_win10.jpg (68 KB, 946x535) Image search: [Google]
20141024_win10.jpg
68 KB, 946x535
That's Windows 10 to me...
>>
>>55564700
>tfw the Asian chick gets indeed paid 30% less than men and has to use an Asus
YOU GUYS TOLD ME THAT SJWS ARE LYING
>>
>>55564746
>>55564735
>>55564715
>>55564709
>>55564700
>>55564672

You need to put down your lattes, take the dicks out of your mouth, and read this right fucking now

https://stallman.org/apple.html

Maybe wait until you grow up a bit before buying your next computer.
>>
File: macbook 800 mhz.jpg (190 KB, 988x802) Image search: [Google]
macbook 800 mhz.jpg
190 KB, 988x802
>>55563975
They're the best performing laptops you can buy.
>>
>>55564791
So I take it you use a Lemote running 100% free software?
>>
>>55564672
>>55564686
>>55564700
Holy shit, all this facts. Where are the memers now?
>>
Oh, I am able to run OS X on my VMware Workstation with 3 GB of RAM dedicated to it. It works alright. Windows crashes after like 10 minutes of use with 4 GB of RAM.
>>
>>55563975
X P S 1 3
P
S
>>
>>55564808
Yes. You can get one with Trisquel and a 100% free/libre BIOS from http://libre.thinkpenguin.com/
>>
>>55564838
Post a picture with a timestamp.
>>
>>55564791
I am not really interested in what some fat fuck who sounds like a woman has to say. Specially if he can't offer me a 16:10 high res screen alternative with 8+ battery life that doesn't weigh like two macbooks.
>>
>>55564817
Um, they're shills/sponsored by Apple corporate fucks. That's really fucking obvious.
>>
I can get the new macbook air, i5 8gb RAM 128 SSD for 700 bucks brand new, why should I not cop?

I tried some shitty HP laptop and it was garbage, windows 10 is horrid and touchscreens are a meme that should die, I returned it instantly. I also don't want to look like a neckbeard weeaboo with some 20 pound 5 inch thick thinkpad. I used to be anti-mac but the user testimonies don't lie.
>>
>>55564846
RMS literally invented the GNU project, gcc, emacs, etc. Are you serious this uninformed?
>>
>>55564858
Facebook, Google and Microsoft are sponsored by Apple? Interesting. Linux and Gentoo are too, I take? What about NASA?
>>
File: 1445472277744.jpg (21 KB, 353x251) Image search: [Google]
1445472277744.jpg
21 KB, 353x251
>>55564859
>I used to be anti-mac but the user testimonies don't lie.

Good little goy! 10 shekels have been deposited into your iTunes account
>>
>>55563975
My first laptop was an 2008 Macbook that didn't seriously start to die until earlier this year. Bought a new Pro mostly out of loyalty and it seems ok so far. Decent battery life for non-gaming is a plus for work. Graphics-intensive stuff causes it to heat up a bit, but it was well behaved the times I've used it for number-crunching.

8/10, would buy again. 10/10 if it lasts 8 years like the last one.
>>
>>55564838
>http://libre.thinkpenguin.com/
Scammy as fuck, they're just selling Clevo/Sager laptops with a $200 markup. You still have Intel AMT backdoor garbage and a standard UEFI, not Coreboot. They're not Lemotes.
>>
>>55564873
yes. they donate money and computers in order to drive down competition. same strategy used by nestle, the oil companies, etc.
>>
>>55564868
That's really awesome and everything but where is my comparable hardware? "Company X is bad" is not exactly helpful without an alternative. Also will your freetard stuff run Office without crippling it with wine?
>>
>>55564892
You should be using LibreOffice or TeX by now, it's been stable for years.
>>
>>55564889
And companies like Google and Microsoft prefer a bit money over using their own superior solutions? Fascinating stuff.
>>
>>55564899
Businesses are only there to make money, you're stupid to think otherwise.
>>
>>55564880
I want /pol/ to leave.

I work at best buy and sell PCs all day, customers constantly come back with PCs that just fail for no reason, or get a mean virus that bricks it. I've nearly never seen a mac come in for repairs. Some of my friends and coworkers as well have bought macbooks and been really happy with them.

I guess they're kinda overpriced for the specs but at $700 I really think that's a fair price. Other windows options in that price range are like the Asus zenbook, which looks plasticy and amazon reviewers say the hinges snap off easily.
>>
>>55564895
A great idea, let's ignore the business standard format and use one, nobody in the business world can open without fucking up the formating.

>>55564899
And Apple makes more money by giving money to their competitions to use their inferior products? That's an awesome business plan, why doesn't Microsoft do it the other way around? They could pay Apple to use Surface Pros!
>>
>>55564923
>>55564909
Meant to quote this guy.

>And Apple makes more money by giving money to their competitions to use their inferior products? That's an awesome business plan, why doesn't Microsoft do it the other way around? They could pay Apple to use Surface Pros!
>>
>>55564838
Still waiting on that photo of your Lemote.
>>
>>55564007
Sour grapes. I bet you have some old shitty plastic lenovo piece of shit with an anime desktop background. Probably also unemployed or a college student. When you take your laptop out in public people think you are a terrorist. I on the other hand have the latest retina macbook pro, I met my girlfriend on a business trip because of it. We met in a coffee shop.
>>
>>55564630
i'm not a mac user, but plenty of serious programmers and tech fans use macs. my biggest complaint against apple products in general is that they are pricey and the average person could probably get a comparable laptop at a better price point. but lots of smart people use macs for one reason or another in their day to day lives, and i know plenty talented programmers who do, so what does it matter?

OP, my 2 cents are that macs are fine laptops, but if money is a concern, saunter on over to the /thinkpadgeneral/ and take a look at some business laptops that are cheap and might have enough power for whatever it is you want to do
>>
>>55564940
Or just get an XPS 13 Developers Edition, I seriously don't know why people choose anything else. The bezels are the thinnest in the industry.
>>
>>55564955
The lower bezel sure isn't. Also it's 16:9 cancer, do non poor people still unironically buy that?
>>
>>55564791
>implying only Apple does this shit
Sadly everything you buy in a first world country was in one way or another produced with a form of slave labor. That doesn't make what's happening ok. It's just that most manufacturers are guilty of all the things RMS seems to bitch about on that page.
>>
>>55564940
>i know plenty talented programmers who do
thats code for node.js and ruby fags. real programming (C#, .NET, etc) is still on windows.

games are a perfect example, theyre some of the most complicated pieces of software out there. and where do they all go? yep, windows PCs. and for a reason: thats the platform that the talent wants to work on.
>>
>>55564007
nice objective opinions there
>>
>>55564791
that was far from a brutal takedown of apple, they basically do the same shit other large tech companies do
>>
>>55564940
they're the price of the 2 or 3 shitty laptops you're going to buy in its lifespan

thinkpads and macbooks are solid machines and durable as fuck, no regrets of buying them(getting old but still functioning perfectly)
>>
>>55564981
This is the real damning thing to me, the total lack of transparency and free thought

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=apple_store_ban
>>
>>55564975
lmao

>>>/v/
>>
>>55564594
You can fix it if you're not incompetent.
>>55564630
Most respectable hardware designers in silicon valley use macs.

I got my mac with a huge discount, but I really dig it, and I'd much rather have the apple products over the competition, despite price delta (but maybe that's because I have a job, and I'm not poor).
>>
Can anyone comment on rMBP fan noise? Is it even active most of the time when browsing?

I want to buy a refurb but I hate fan noise.
>>
File: r9n2j.jpg (246 KB, 3270x1790) Image search: [Google]
r9n2j.jpg
246 KB, 3270x1790
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
Honestly I've never owned a Mac ever. That being said, I have experience with OS X by Hackintoshing. In this day and age, an OS is an OS. Theyre all doing what the others can do. If you're familiar with Windows and have no technical experience, get a Windows machine. Don't bother learning a new OS unless you want to. Macs are pretty cool looking however they're highly overpriced. If you really want to spend that much money and want the most out of your money, get a gaming notebook or a Thinkpad. If you don't really care and want to try something new, get the Mac. If you want to try something new on a nice notebook, get either a Thinkpad or a Windows gaminc machine and install Linux. If you like tinkering Linux can be a fun experience. It's not for everyone but it's always there, and it's free. That's my 2 cents but I'm sure you can get yourself a well rounded opinion out of my thoughts.
>>
>>55565022
PR folks use macs for twitter. nothing new there.
The actual engineers who do shit? I'd bet my left nut they're on windows using real programs.
>>
>>55565034
>get a gaming notebook

Entire post void.
>>
>>55565043
>Windows
try linux, fucknut
>>
>>55565020
The case is aluminum because it's a giant heatsink. Poorly made apps (or just genuinely more intense computing) will cause the fans to spin up, but even then, it's pretty quiet. I'm on my rMBP from 2014 right now, and the fans aren't moving at all.
>>
File: edl_war_room-br2.jpg (118 KB, 1024x373) Image search: [Google]
edl_war_room-br2.jpg
118 KB, 1024x373
>>55565043
hahahaha
>>
>>55564421
Only Butthurt GNU faggots would get angry about people switching topics. Go jack off to some free software you neckbeard
>>
File: iss035e022360.jpg (2 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
iss035e022360.jpg
2 MB, 4288x2848
>>55565022
>>55565063
Fag
>>
File: 1454560995853.jpg (375 KB, 677x1294) Image search: [Google]
1454560995853.jpg
375 KB, 677x1294
>>55564686
Fuck off Rajeesh.
>>
>>55564975
oh shit we got a real programmer here fellas, this guy's totally not getting his job outsourced
>>
File: Retarded laptops for retards.jpg (185 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Retarded laptops for retards.jpg
185 KB, 1600x1200
>>
File: 1460225915806.jpg (509 KB, 1200x1020) Image search: [Google]
1460225915806.jpg
509 KB, 1200x1020
>>55565022
>>
>>55565111
I own a thinkpad too. they're both great machines

no windows tho, go back to /v/ pls
>>
>>55565111
>>55565105
LMFAO, saved
>>
File: maddox.jpg (99 KB, 640x883) Image search: [Google]
maddox.jpg
99 KB, 640x883
>>55564995
Fuck off, maddox
>>
>>55565111
>picture showing 2006 macbooks

how mad are you?
>>
>>55565044
They tend to have good hardware so why not get in the better hardware if you're spending the premium. Also notice how I said "or a Thinkpad" right after in case they don't want to game on it.
>>
>>55565111

Now that NASA is using HP Zbooks on the ISS what will chinkpad losers do?
>>
>>55564859
>128 GB
>No second bay
>PITA to change drives

You can do better bro
>>
>>55565145
Not him but how the fuck you know that?
You literal autist

>Trying to stop the damage this hard
>>
>>55564995
i don't think i've ever felt so conflicted, on the one hand, censorship is lame, on the other hand, you have got to be a humongous faggot for reading and quoting maddox in 2016
>>
>>55565160
Still get older thinkpads and maybe get HP Zbooks too

>implying everyone here only has thinkpads just like the apple faggots only have macbooks
>>
Ok, here is my opinion: People that hate apple usually never tried it. I know because used to be like that.

If you did and you disliked I respect your opinion, but most comments saying hurr apple is crap durr overprice hurr are clearly from someone who never used macs in their life.

Different people have different needs, Mac might not be right for you, but they are pretty fucking good computers. There arent many that are able to match it.
>>
>>55563975
Macs are only good for one thing...
>>
>>55565173
How? Because they are old models
>>
>>55565201
Before using Macs for work I didn't care one way or the other about it or Apple. After suffering 3 years using their """"pro"""" level $3000+ crashing freezing and even exploding "workstation" garbage, and then on top of it dealing with their total bullshit warranty, I hate them more than any other brand on this planet. Fuck off shill.
>>
>>55565213
Yeah, sure m8
>>
>>55565170
Not like I'm going to be storing huge games or giant video files on it, I have a home PC with a 240GB SSD and 2 1TB HDDs for. It's gonna be for bringing along places with me, college use and bedtime shitposting. There are literally no laptops around that price, be it windows or anything else, that have those kind of specs, and if they do they seem to be made of cheap plastic.

Although, my alternative is to just get no laptop at all and buy a plane ticket and go on a vacation to Europe or south America, so both are tempting.
>>
The ISS arguments are pretty silly. The only reason thinkpads and the HP zbooks are qualified for space travel while macs aren't is because they're designed with radiation-hardened components. Apple's designing a consumer product, why would they check their datasheets/pay more for radiation hardening specs?
>>
>>55565224
whatever m8 why are you mad.
>fuck you for having different opinions
>>
>>55565201
My nigga. It's almost like someone on this board isn't 12 years old.
>>
>>55565183
> hurr durr current year

nice meme dickhead
>>
>>55565232
Real productivity>>>>consumershit

There's a reason why /g/ loves thinkpads and zbooks and it's not for watching chinese cartoons and browsing 4chan
>>
>>55565255
Yes, I'm sure all those Fizzbuzzes written in C are more productive than whatever those useless web "developer" hipsters are doing.
>>
>>55565255
>radiation-hardened components
>real productivity
I didn't you know was jerking off to Mongolian cartoons under Chernobyl, anon.
>>
File: 1453763223072.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1453763223072.webm
1 MB, 640x360
>>55565201
>if u dun like my fruit religion u nevr tried it!!!!

12 year old mactoddler detected.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (42 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
42 KB, 1280x720
>>55565201
replace "apple" with "sucking cock" in your first sentance.

That's how fucking faggy you sound.
>>
>>55565255
You're retarded. You don't need to be outside of the atmosphere soaking up cosmic radiation to be productive.
>>
My girlfriend has a 15" MBP, 16GB RAM, like 2GB VRAM, 2.8 GHz processor , retina screen.

It's pretty fucking nice, she used it a lot for video editing in college and the only time it budged was a few times using AVID. Although I hear avid is a volatile program so I don't think it was the computers fault.

I'm no enthusiast , personally, I'm happy using a chink Chromebook for my tranny porn and shitposting
>>
>>55565201
To be fair it has been a couple of years since I seriously used an apple product. But that's really because you constantly hear about how they've censored this or close standardized that. It's amazing really, all the shit they're pioneering to fuck people over. It's like they're actively working to become the UAC. And their level of planned obsolescence gives Nvidia wet dreams. And their repairability and upgradeablitiy are intentionally zero. And people take that because they just accept the "just werks" " top-of-the-line" brand image even when better stuff does come out. Macs may be a good fit for some people, but I don't think people really realize what they're forcing themselves into or giving up.
>>
>>55565278
That is not what I said at all.

>>55565279
Nice projection
>>
>>55565398
>they're forcing themselves into or giving up
Different people have different needs.

I know I have more options on android but my iPhone does everything I need. Same for mac and windows
>>
File: 1458214909285.jpg (72 KB, 615x413) Image search: [Google]
1458214909285.jpg
72 KB, 615x413
iCucks cucked again!
>>
>>55565398
>But that's really because you constantly hear about how they've censored this or close standardized that.
Could you name some things actually related to macs? Sure there is censorship in the app store and it's pathetic but it happens in every app store and more of a legal thing either way.

>And their level of planned obsolescence gives Nvidia wet dreams.
That's a bit too simplistic. Yes, you can't upgrade them for shit but they are build to last and OSX is very easy on resources. My old ass Air from 2012 with 4GB still runs as fast as ever, without any kind of maintenance or reinstalling OS, as it would be mandatory with Windows. Also the build quality is pretty nice, so you're unlikely to have any defects with the hardware itself.

>I don't think people really realize what they're forcing themselves into or giving up
This certainly applies to idiots who buy the stuff because it's shiny, but tons of tech savvy people buy them too and are perfectly aware about the cons, they just got different priorities.
>>
File: 1444930392503.jpg (38 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1444930392503.jpg
38 KB, 600x800
>>55565617
>but they are build to last
0/10
>>
>>55565563
Based astronauts being based

Space>>>>Land
>>
File: g602_1.jpg (73 KB, 700x605) Image search: [Google]
g602_1.jpg
73 KB, 700x605
>>55564310
>implying you have to use that mouse

im using pic related with my mba
>>
>>55565278
source on that webm?
>>
>>55563975
just get like some $400 whatever laptop and install gnu/linux on it and you'll get the same that you'd get out of some $1200 mac.
>>
>>55565678
The average mac user.
>>
>>55565634
http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-brand-ratings

http://www.zdnet.com/article/want-the-most-reliable-windows-pc-buy-a-mac-or-maybe-a-dell/
>>
>>55565455
But you missed the point of what I was saying. Assuming that mac IS an ideal fit for a given user, their system is still introducing tons of terrible business practices, teaching the industry to treat customers ever shittier, and training people not to look for the best hardware available. And while every ounce of their psychological manipulation is calculated to make people believe that they alone offer a vastly more reliable, superior experience, nothing I've seen would suggest that to be true. They have good products. They don't have amazing products. And for being about neutral they just don't justify making things so much shittier for everyone in general
>>
File: stallman.jpg (86 KB, 572x370) Image search: [Google]
stallman.jpg
86 KB, 572x370
>>55565685
> gnu/linux
> not using Hurd

lol enjoy your meme plebian kernel
>>
>>55565705
>not to look for the best hardware available
Even assuming this would be true, you realize that hardware is just there to run the software? You could the best hardware on earth, without the right software the entire experience will be shit.

>nothing I've seen would suggest that to be true
Outside of market research and surveys.
>>
>>55563975
Honestly I was like a lot of these guys; life long anti-macfag cause my perception was that it's too expensive for what you get, because it was a poser brand that hipsters use in coffee shops, because they were inethical, etc, etc...

Long story short, I've done video, photography, extended writing and a little audio recording and editing on; a modestly specced laptop with Linux installed, a hefty "gaming" PC, and now a few Macs. It's just all been easier on the Mac. There are more options on PC, but you'll notice people who don't want to expend their mental resources trying to navigate the quagmire that is the PC/Laptop & software market just get Macs. Most people you'll meet at University, most people working in the creative industry, just anyone who wants something that'll be reliable and smooth for a long time.

If you buy a 1000 dollar Mac that lasts 5 years... well, you get were I'm going. It's about being value conscious.

Personally I use my rMBP for any serious work, or when I'm travelling, and keep my PC as backup and to play the odd game.

Anyway, I won't bore you any further OP, I'll just close by saying, I pushed around the numbers and stats in my head for years before buying a Mac, but having had enough time using both I've learned that I'm more productive on it for whatever reason - an hour of work on my Mac is worth more than an hour of work on my PC which has better specs on paper.

For me, that's the main thing, my time is worth more than any computer.

And if you don't want to give Apple money I wouldn't blame you - buy a used Mac instead.
>>
File: 0088.png (204 KB, 600x528) Image search: [Google]
0088.png
204 KB, 600x528
>>55564053
>how they feel about it?
>feel about it
>>
>>55565617
Reinstalling OS would not be needed for windows. They moved past that shit ages ago. And the win10 upgrade cycle makes os jumps as easy as osx. Build quality doesn't take into account that they lock down that shit like a motherfucker so rather than being able to repair it almost anywhere you're stuck with mac's judgement on whether it's repairable and how much that will cost.
>>
>>55565722
serious question: does Stallman or FSF have any moral objection to the Arduino platform? I'm interested in experimenting with it a bit but want to stay true to the principles of the GPL.
>>
>>55565796
>They moved past that shit ages ago.
Well, it was still the case with 7, didn't use 8 or 10 long enough to tell yet. So far 10 seems pretty decent in that aspect. Outside of crashing sometimes but that's a different issue I guess.

>Build quality doesn't take into account that they lock down that shit like a motherfucker
Yes, these are different things. Build quality lowers the chance that this will be required; if it is, you're indeed fucked.

But here is where different user cases come into the play, I don't intend to keep any laptop longer than 2-3 years, so this is a non factor for me. Obviously somebody who intends to keep theirs for half a decade and longer, maybe even upgrade it won't be happy with a mac; but we all don't have the same needs after all.
>>
>>55565854
>>Well, it was still the case with 7
>I never used W7
>>
>>55565860
Only since release. Lost count of how often I had to reinstall that piece of shit, and it failed to get updates because you first needed to download extra shit from MS. Oh the joys of waiting for hours while an 1gb sized service pack installs.
>>
File: IMG_0941.gif (537 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0941.gif
537 KB, 480x270
>>55564421
Take your fucking pills.
>>
Macs r bad becuz of the Indian meme and the hosefire meme and the gay meme if u want a good computer buy some obsolete thinkpad from 7 years ago with arch Linux (good because memes)
>>
>>55564791
>Taking meme fat seriously
>>
File: ehh.png (1 MB, 1790x1307) Image search: [Google]
ehh.png
1 MB, 1790x1307
>>55563975
Here you go senpai, an apple computer versus a dell comuputer for almost the same price.
>>
>>55567656
this desu senpai
>>
>>55564975
You do realize all the games go to windows because a majority of pc gamers use windows right? Do you honestly think that if the majority of pc gamers used osx they would still only code for windows?
>>
I never ask for Apple stuff over here on /g/. Out of most responses, a good half of them will be praising the product more than it needs to be, and another half will be people shitting on it without a solid argument.

I remember back when I asked about the magic trackpad, it was either "dude it's not only a replacement for the mouse, it's 10 times better and you will only want that mouse for Photoshop" and then other people saying "pffft you realize what you're doing though? you're buying a fucking trackpad for a desktop" and then I found out that it wasn't as amazing but still has its own quirks I can't find elsewhere, it was -just- worth the price for what it did, I simply did not keep OSX for long and it's no replacement for a good mouse in some tasks indeed.

Now I have this predicament again where I'm looking at the apple keyboard. The cheaper wired one with a numeric pad. I don't dislike chiclet keyboards, though I have mixed experiences. But if I ask around here, I'm sure there'd be people telling me I'm wasting my money when a $10 keyboard is the same, then other people telling me it's the best thing they had.
>>
>>55564791
>https://stallman.org/apple.html

>Richard Stallman

good joke there anon
>>
>>55568393
I'm a "pc gamer" (these days not so much but still I look out for certain stuff coming out, I considered that shit like overwatch could induce cancer for me though) and to be fair, when I tried hackintosh on my machine, it worked near perfection. I would only have minor, rare UI slowdowns and everything else I just wanted over Windows. But given that I'd still look for shit that's compatible with Windows only, or works terribly in OSX (certain ports are laughable, it's like they're just using virtual machines at this point) I had to go back.

OSX, or Linux with much more compatibility would just break Windows. Many people want out of that system and even more after the release of Windows 10. It's just Hackintosh is unofficial and unreliable because it requires specific hardware and Apple won't give two miserable fucks. And if they did, they'd make an apple $600 current "gaming" machine cost maybe around 1500 because they have to add the nice display and all.
>>
>>55564421
Calm down, kid.
>>
>>55563975
I wanted a mac but only because was the only computer I fouded with 6gb RAM and SSD hard drive. For me is sad that it doesn't come with an AMD procesor if it were the case I would buy one.
>>
>>55565796
>Reinstalling OS would not be needed for windows.
Yes it is, fuck you.

t. Windows User
Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.