[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which one would you choose to study, Electrical Engineering,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11
File: RMS_iGNUcius_techfest_iitb.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
RMS_iGNUcius_techfest_iitb.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
Which one would you choose to study, Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering or CS?
>>
File: Vaporwave_Glitch.png (60 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Vaporwave_Glitch.png
60 KB, 1920x1080
None they're all shit
But for the love of fuck do not go into electrical, you will shoot yourself/your classmates
>>
File: Hitagi_22.jpg (229 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Hitagi_22.jpg
229 KB, 2560x1440
>>55563994
Why is Electrical bad?
>>
>>55563531
if you like the physical world and work with models that will interact with the it EE
if you don't want to know about the physical world just models and information CS
>>
File: 1462426020541.jpg (116 KB, 469x469) Image search: [Google]
1462426020541.jpg
116 KB, 469x469
>tfw I fell for the CE meme
>>
>>55563994
I studied EE and it was fine. What exactly was your problem?
>>
>>55565961
CE is the little sister of EE and CS who thinks is smarter because created her robot using legos mind storm while her EE and CS brothers can't make the atlas project to work.
>>
>people actually think these are good majors
Stop looking at average salary and start looking at mean salary. You will regret this unless you are very smart or very very lucky.
>>
>>55566006
>Stop looking at average salary and start looking at mean salary.

No, stop looking at the whole salary and start loking at your skills and creativity, and think about how to create a company instead of building other people dreams.
>>
THERE ARE TOO MANY NORMIES IN MY COMMUNITY COLLEGE ELECTRICAL CLASSES

WHAT THE FUCK
>>
Electrical engineering is a good ass degree. I don't understand what the beef with it is here.
Is the only acceptable degree here a Ph.D in transvestites and Japanese animation?
>>
They are all different things, especially Electrical Engineering. If they are all the same for you, you better think twice - do you really like *any* of this studies.
>>
What should i major in then you fucking NEETs
>>
>>55566006
>Stop looking at average salary and start looking at mean salary
What?
>>
>>55566103
ChaNEEting Engineering, the best of all, the best of all engineerings.
>>
>>55565997
If your writing is much like your algorithms, you must be a CE student
>>
>>55566006
Average and mean are literally the same thing. If you think you're speaking from experience you've just shown why you can't get a good job: you failed the most basic statistical analysis.
>Looking at my school's stats for CS
>Mean: $91,000
>Median: $95,000
>Range: $55,000-$160,000

Feels good anon

>>55566091
I don't know, my thought was either it was too hard for the anon who suggested you'd shoot yourself or he got stuck in power and hated it. IMO power does sound boring but there's lots of interesting work to be done with embedded.
>>
>>55566103
Think about what it is that you want. What interests, what are your strengths, your weaknesses, what do you want to improve on?

What are your motivations to study instead of commiting to any other work? Do you think you have a single Field you can commit decades of your life to or would you rather change your line of work every couple of years?

Chances are you are a teen or young adult that tries to figure his life out and that is connected to stress and fear but you have to confront yourselve with all of this instead of asking strangers on /g/ to dictate your life.

Bringing some respect for all professions and actually considering the reality of each job should help finding out what you want.

Confront yourselve with reality.
>>
CS.
Makes the most money.
>>
>>55566179
algorithms, not functions and models, pleb.
>>
>>55565961
>>55565840
He is probably a brainlet.
>>
File: 1448655076952.jpg (872 KB, 2000x2774) Image search: [Google]
1448655076952.jpg
872 KB, 2000x2774
>>55563531
>mfw have QM and math background
CS definitely. I'll be able to transition into quantum computing research.
>>
I'm probably going to ask this in every thread of this kind so bear with me

Opinions on Information Systems Engineering?
>>
>>55566376
little girl of CS.
>>
>>55566383
So a good idea if I'm not so keen on programming?
>>
Electrical engineering is for plebs and you can learn CS on your own. Electronic engineering as interesting as fuck.
>>
File: sudo[1].gif (2 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
sudo[1].gif
2 KB, 300x300
The most useful in my opinion, is electrical and electronic engineer. These fields will let you create robots, fix your own electronics and what not. Then, you need to learn programming by yourself and a little bit of networking and you will be a fully fledge human being. The world will be at your feet. You will be able to hack any electronic you want, rewire them at your will and give them order with your programming skills. Don't understimate that power.

This is like being sudo to the world.

While computer science seem like cool, it is utterly useless. Everything you learn in CS, you can learn on your own if you give yourself the time and the patience.
>>
>>55566732
And what makes electronic engineering something you can't learn on your own if you give yourself the time and patience?
>>
>>55566751
It is much harder to learn by yourself in my opinion.
But then again, you can learn everything the world has to offer if you want to see it that way.
>>
>>55566751
What's the point of college and grad school if you can learn everything on your own given the time and patience?
>>
>>55566871
To get a certification.
>>
>>55566871
To gain research experience and reputation as a researcher.
>>
>>55563994
Do NOT listen to this idiot.

>>55565840
It isn't. Possibly one of the better engineering fields in terms of job prospects and also arguably the hardest.

>>55565961
At many schools, CE is a branch of EE where digital design and computer architecture is the focus. Program is very similar to the traditional EE program minus the power electronics and RF/electromagnetics classes.

>>55566567
Electronic Engineering is a subset of Electrical Engineering. Although most plebs don't know the difference, it's much better to study Electrical Engineering as it's more broad and covers fields from digital systems, analog electronics, dsp and more.

>>55566732
I honestly feel that this is the case with CS. Unless you plan on going into grad school with comp sci, you might as well study software engineering. CS at a decent grad school is god tier af.
>>
>>55566751
You need a lot more tools to do electronic. Tools that a university will lend you and teach you how to use. For programming, you only need your computer and a basic tutorial on the language you want to learn and there you go.
>>
Everything is made of electronics these days. CS or Electronics is the way to go.
>>
File: 1331675466920.jpg (8 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1331675466920.jpg
8 KB, 251x242
I chose EE, I wish I had chosen CS instead.

Nothing to do now but suck it up and make some shitty Github projects to put on my resume.
>>
>>55566900
>CS is programming
Ok, tell me where I would get the 300 servers needed to train my neural network without my university. Or the 100TB of bandwidth and space to run my experimental image search project. Meanwhile, anyone can do EE with a breadboard and a couple of resistors from the dollar store.
>>
>>55566973
Oh shut the fuck up, using your dumbass example, where am I going to get sophisticated EM equipment without my university, you bag of dried up cunts.
>>
>>55566973
You don't need any of those to have practical and useful programming. What's your point ?
>>
File: 1451647968228.png (691 KB, 680x693) Image search: [Google]
1451647968228.png
691 KB, 680x693
>>55566973
You don't even need a computer for theoretical CS lmao. Just pencil and paper.
>>
>>55566984
And where am I going to get powerful rendering farms without my university? What about expensive software such as Matlab and Mathematica?

>>55566996
And you don't need to have expensive university equipment to learn how to wire light bulbs on a circuit. What's your point?
>>
>>55567003
Same with EE.
>>
>>55567017
>expensive software such as Matlab and Mathematica?
Octave is a free alternative to Matlab if you are uncomfortable with pirating it.

And you do not need powerful rendering farms in order to write programs.
>>
>>55567035
And you do not need fancy EM equipment in order to wire a light bulb with resistors.
>>
>>55567034
You need LaTeX to typeset all those ridiculous symbols and diagrams.
>>
>>55567055
Or you can draw them on a sheet of blank paper.
>>
>>55567053
Fair point, and neither the typical EE student nor the typical CS student needs these specialized resources.
However, even basic EE work requires oscilloscopes and components, whereas basic CS work can be done with practically any computer.
>>
>>55567067
Theoretically sure.
>>
>>55567017
lol, yes you do. EE is not cheap, even basic component and basic tools are not cheap. This is my point. Please, if you have never tried EE, why are you even argumenting ?
>>
>>55567070
Oh god forbid someone has to spend $70 on an oscilloscope.
>>
>>55567104
And more on components.
And even more on ICs, depending on what you're doing.
And then replacement costs when you fuck up polarities, which will happen.
>>
>>55566261
A good Software engineer will make more money than a good EE. A bad EE will make more than a bad Software Engineer. Unless you're able to fill a diversity quota at a hip tech company, that is.
>>
>>55567126
Stop buying your components from Radio Shack then.
>>
I graduated with a BS in EE about a year ago and have zero regrets.
>>
>>55567139
Even if I spent $1.00 on a lifetime's worth of components, that would still be more expensive than programming with the computer that I already have.
>>
>>55567139
You can learn CS right now you want. Nothing to buy, nothing to do, just google "how to program" and you are started.
Now try to do that with EE, you are already need to invest AT LEAST a 100$ for tools and component.
>>
>>55567151
>>55567163
Or you can use a virtual circuit program on the computer you already have.
>>
>>55567185
>implying circuit simulations are nearly as informative or accurate as actually implementing the circuit
also you can't actually create a real circuit with software, whereas you can produce real working programs with software
>>
>>55567214
You seriously think your cheapass breadboard is a "real circuit' that has any actual practical use over a standard, well designed IC?
>>
>>55567240
Plenty of working, useful prototypes are made using nigger-rigged breadboards.
>>
>>55563531

I just picked Electronic Engineering, wondering if I should have done CS instead. Fuckit, can program in my own time. Wiring circuitboards isn't going to be as easy to teach myself imo
>>
>>55563531
EE and/or CS
>>
>>55567257
The real world uses digital design systems for everything buddy.
>>
Started my Masters in Telecommunications Enginering (EE with more focus on RF / microwave stuff and signal processing) in April. I love it. I can go into hardware development (digital or analog) or software at will.
I did an internship in hardware development (class D audio amplifier, audio filter with I2C-controlled digital pots) which was pretty cool, but I hated designing the PSU. Right now I am developing image/video processing software as a side job and it's great fun.

You have to put in quite a bit of effort (hope you like writing lab reports...) but it pays off. The first two semesters suck, then they start to teach you the interesting stuff. From 3rd semester on I was happier and happier about my choice.
>>
>>55567273
True, but that doesn't negate my point about real circuits being more informative and accurate.
Additionally, as a EE, many jobs expect you to be able to use a breadboard, be able to solder, and put together prototypes.
So even if you're not hand producing final products, it's still important that you have hands-on experience with real circuits.
>>
Just join the Physics masterrace
>>
>>55566973
>anyone can do EE
clearly that wasn't the case for those bozos in my program who couldnt hack EE and switched into an easier major like CS.!
>>
>>55567650
>>
>>55567650
Yap, in my school anyone in EE/CE that is having a hard time drops to CS (and finishes), specifically CE students have most of the CS courses and then some which makes e transition a lot easier
>>
>>55567821
At my school all the professors are cats, and all the janitors are ducks.
>>
>>55567838
The truth hurts doesn't it, CS is a degree that anyone with mediocre abilities can finish, not so for EE.

Anyone worth it's salt in the industry either started in EE/CE or math and then transitioned into CS, people who started in CS usually end up as keyboard monkeys.
>>
>>55567901
almost got me
>>
>>55567901

It's always fun to watch an EE/CE try to code something complex without knowing how to scale to 10,000 LoC.
>>
Based physics
>>
File: 1456551761621.jpg (116 KB, 455x332) Image search: [Google]
1456551761621.jpg
116 KB, 455x332
>>55567579
>>55568329
>inb4 some sperg falls for the astronomy/high energy meme
>>
>>55568183
It's just as fun watching a typical CS grad attempt to code something complex, I'd imagine.
>>
>>55567821
I sucked at the electrical courses but I stuck with CE and finished. Quitters can go to hell.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.